Publix in Statesboro

pmc6986

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to the owner/manager of El Sombrero yesterday. I asked him if they were closing that location once the new building was up & running. His answer - they're keeping both locations open, plus the 1 downtown.

The old Food Lion building is not being used in the KMart shopping center, Winn Dixie on Brannen is also available. Who knows, they might come in, buy some new property and build a new store.

Food for thought!

Merry Christmas

Pardon the off-topic bit here, but what exactly is in the Winn-Dixie right now? I stopped by there a couple weeks ago and saw a bunch of shelves with accounting type books on them.

Anyways, a Publix in Statesboro would be great. I'd like to see a nice grocery store go up near GSU. (The Bi-Lo never really impressed me all that much).

During the Henderson Library renovations and addition, GSU is storing the bulk of the books that get checked out the least at the old Publix location. I have also heard that people have seen books in the Winn-Dixie store too so perhaps they are renting out both locations or the Statesboro Herald got it wrong in the first place. Who knows.

Statesboro is an isolated city, but a city none-the-less. Its also the regional economic hum for a 13 county area, and has the only Walmart within a 30-50 mile radius, so a lot of people come out of the woodworks to shop in Statesboro, plus people from North Effingham and North Bryan counties. Before Walmart became a supercenter, there were many grocery stores in the 'Boro. At various times there were 3 Food Lions, 2 Piggly Wigglys, Bilo, M&M, Kroger, Publix, Winn-Dixie, etc and the stores were extremely competitive. Right before Walmart expanded, there were 3 Food Lions, Winn Dixie, Publix, Save-A-Lot and Bilo - two Food Lions, Publix, Save-a-Lot and Bilo were all on Northside Drive, Winn Dixie was one block from Northside Drive, etc. When Walmart opened, all the grocery stores stuggled and eventually closed. Bilo is the only store that held its ground. Now Statesboro just has Walmart, Bilo, Save-A-Lot and 2 Harvey's - and three empty stores. The next grocery store will probably develop near the country club or on Highway 80 West, if not between Staetsboro and Brooklet.

Archived