Ossabaw Island

For a state with such a small coastline, Georgia is blessed with several islands that have been set aside for the purposes of conservation, like St. Catherine's, Sapelo & Cumberland. Another one of these islands is Chatham County's own Ossabaw Island.

Keeping in mind that we already have plenty of coastal areas off limits to development, I think the economics are right to develop Ossabaw into a Hilton Head style family beach community. Tybee Island is small, and has long been maxed out in terms of viable development. As Savannah is such a tourist magnet, I think the addition of a second resort-style beach would be an economic boon for the area, and further solidify Savannah as a vacation mecca.

Ossabaw is at least twice as large as Tybee (if not more), so there's room for upscale amenities (golf, tennis, resorts), as well as boutique shopping, public beaches & the like. If the State deeded the Island back to Chatham County, and developers with a defined vision were brought in, Ossabaw could be a crown jewel in Georgia's tourist crown.

Charleston has an upscale beach (IOP), and a more laid back, casual one (Folly). Heck, even Brunswick has these on St. Simon's, Jekyll & Sea Island. I think it's time for Savannah, and Georgia, to address the overall lack of quality beach & vacation opportunities, and develop Ossabaw.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a state with such a small coastline, Georgia is blessed with several islands that have been set aside for the purposes of conservation, like St. Catherine's, Sapelo & Cumberland. Another one of these islands is Chatham County's own Ossabaw Island.

Keeping in mind that we already have plenty of coastal areas off limits to development, I think the economics are right to develop Ossabaw into a Hilton Head style family beach community. Tybee Island is small, and has long been maxed out in terms of viable development. As Savannah is such a tourist magnet, I think the addition of a second resort-style beach would be an economic boon for the area, and further solidify Savannah as a vacation mecca.

Ossabaw is at least twice as large as Tybee (if not more), so there's room for upscale amenities (golf, tennis, resorts), as well as boutique shopping, public beaches & the like. If the State deeded the Island back to Chatham County, and developers with a defined vision were brought in, Ossabaw could be a crown jewel in Georgia's tourist crown.

Charleston has an upscale beach (IOP), and a more laid back, casual one (Folly). Heck, even Brunswick has these on St. Simon's, Jekyll & Sea Island. I think it's time for Savannah, and Georgia, to address the overall lack of quality beach & vacation opportunities, and develop Ossabaw.

I guess my point is that for a state with such a limited coastline, we already have a ton of protected islands. I forgot to add Wassaw & the many smaller islands & hammocks that are protected as well. I think with the ongoing population & tourism boom, it makes sense to develop one of these islands, and Ossabaw, to me, makes the most sense.

Yes, Tybee road needs to be expanded (and it will be), and it's elevation needs to be raised, but that doesn't do anything to "add" more room to the small island. I just think it would be nice to have a second beach.

I guess my point is that for a state with such a limited coastline, we already have a ton of protected islands. I forgot to add Wassaw & the many smaller islands & hammocks that are protected as well. I think with the ongoing population & tourism boom, it makes sense to develop one of these islands, and Ossabaw, to me, makes the most sense.

Yes, Tybee road needs to be expanded (and it will be), and it's elevation needs to be raised, but that doesn't do anything to "add" more room to the small island. I just think it would be nice to have a second beach.

developing sea islands and coastal areas in general is a bad idea. SC spends millions of dollars every year in Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, and the Charleston barrier islands on beach renourishment. Barrier islands are designed to shift, and will do so over time- ignoring any human structures on them. Georgia would be wise to learn from South Carolina and Florida when it comes to beachfront development. Take advantage and maximize the towns you have now, but lets not create more of them.

Archived