Southern University

yis2003yis

Southern University Is in the process of starting off Big for 08... some Projects that they said wouldn't start till 2008 have already started like...The New Stadium Expansion ...There are a number of projects going on around and on campus over at SU

They already have had the Palisades sitting right infront the school off Harding Blvd..and Scenic hwy but now they have started to Add New Dorms and Apts. at the back of the campus and they look really nice to take the Baton Rouge College life to the next Level.....with LSU , SU, AND BRCC all having construction ..the three schools should draw more and more people to Baton Rouge with these new facilities we have to offer here

take a look at some of the things going around on SU campus for 08

SU construction Summary

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Southern's campus really is a jewel in the rough. There are really some nice buildings on our campus, as well as with the upcoming projects slated for construction. I mean, if Southern put money into landscaping the campus, it could really one of Louisiana'a most beautiful college campuses, along with one of the best among HBCU's. I'll try and post some pics of our Law Center, Higgins Hall (pol. science buidling), the Administration building, the library, Pinchback Engineering Building, and the Agricultural Sciences building. . and for those who are a little more familiar with the campus, the Architecture building, one of the most outdated buildings on campus, is REALLY getting a facelift. and there are even rumors of an architectural firm out of New Orleans leasing space on the second floor of our administration building . . .GO SOUTHERN !!!! lol

Just thought I should post a few pics of our beautiful campus. . .

admin.jpg

Joseph Samuel Clark Hall (SU System Administration HQ)

higgins.jpg

Higgins Hall (Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy)

SUSLA-Baton_BIG.jpg

rendering of the newly finished student apartments in the back of campus

julydorm.jpg

The last phase of the new dorms, Ulysses S. Jones Hall . . . . MY ROOM'S IN HERE!!!! lol

sulc.jpg

Southern University Law Center. One of the Jaguar Nation's most prized programs.

suarec.jpg

Southern University Agricultural Research Center

A%20Site%20Rendering.jpg

This is the addition to the stadium that will connect the north end zone, bringing in about 3200 seats.

stdm.jpg

Mumford Stadium

• 1 year later...

WOW! The addition in the north end-zone looks fantastic! But...it's still a shame the Jaguars will lose a "home" game to Jackson State; Mississippi Memorial Stadium is about twice the size; so it will generate more revenue$

Worth the wait; Facility to bolster Southern sports programs

Next month, assorted members of the athletic department will move into a brand-new, three-story, 84,000-square foot palace that not only closes the north end of A.W. Mumford Stadium, but give the Jaguars perhaps the best football facility in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/50687347.html

mumfordstadium071409.jpg

mumfordstadium2071409.jpg

:thumbsup: Here's more.....

SU facilities one step away from being great

http://www.2theadvocate.com/columnists/50813382.html

• 1 month later...

Yea man that pic is really nice. . . It's really refreshing to see a SU post on this forum thought. That made my day !! We have a lot of other plans proposed, such as a gateway to campus, an information center and ampitheater on the bluff, a new school of business, and two parking garages... so stay tuned. I'll try and bring a sneak peak of the proposed designs.

yea I think we do fairly well over here at Southern. Things are really starting to look up here. Enrollment has increased this semester by about 600 students, the stadium expansion, the law school expansion.. things are looking good for the future of SU. Sure,we have a lot of work to do before we hit the 10,000 mark again, but I think we are well on our way. Also look forward to seeing and hearing more of SU collaborating with the City of Baton Rouge. They are having meeting with Adam Knapp of the Baton Rouge Area Chamber about getting some stuff done in the north baton rouge area.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Southern set for rec center

Southern University is expected to start construction on its long-delayed student recreation center in early January.

Ernie Hughes, executive director for the Southern University System Foundation, said the $6.5 million, 33,578-square foot Intramural Athletic Complex is ready to go when, and if, it is approved Friday by the Southern Board of Supervisors.

The facility will feature basketball courts, cardiovascular and weight-lifting exercise rooms, locker rooms, lounge areas, an outdoor patio area and more, he said. “I’m very excited about it, and I know the students are too,” Hughes said.

Because of funding issues, the project was scaled down from a $10 million budget that cut the number of basketball courts from three to two and eliminated a planned elevated track.

The project dates back to 2003. It was associated with a $60 million bond project that included new student residence halls, the expansion of A.W. Mumford Stadium and more.

The recreation center is the final piece of the bond project that was funded through student tuition and fee hikes and increased football ticket prices.

“We had some major cost overruns with Mumford Stadium,” Hughes said.

“We tried to do our best to maximize the (recreation center) space.”

Cost overruns, fundraising issues, Hurricane Katrina and a revamping of the project that eliminated some improvements for Southern’s New Orleans and Shreveport campuses all contributed to project delays.

The athletic center will be located on the north side of campus near the residence halls.

Hughes said construction is expected to last 16 to 18 months for a 2013 opening.

Southern Student Government Association Demetrius Sumner said he is thrilled just to see the project center about to get underway, even if it is a little smaller than originally envisioned.

“It’s a long time coming. At this point, students are ready to move on what we have,” Sumner said.

“This is another step in providing everything students need on campus when they enroll.”

Southern Board member Tony Clayton, who is a former chairman, said the students deserve to get what they have been funding through their tuition and fee dollars.

Clayton did, however, express concern that the architect, William McElroy of Jackson, Miss., who also handled the Mumford Stadium project, is overseeing the student recreation center. But Clayton expressed optimism about what he said he hopes will be a strong finished product.

“It’s part of a leaner and much more aggressive Southern University that’s on the horizon,” Clayton said.

http://theadvocate.com/news/1394093-123/southern-set-for-rec-center.html

• 9 months later...

Hey yall ! I know it's been a while since I've last posted but I thought I'd give a few updates of what's going on the Bluff. This past year has been TREMENDOUS for Southern U. Ridding itself of lots of administrative drama, cutting and streamlining faculty and academic programs, and doing much needed renovations and new construction on campus. I've posted a few pics to show our progress!

251088_10150893991449567_1368571182_n.jpg

480468_10150803864149567_1557876994_n.jpg

546167_10150893993034567_646387026_n.jpg

484545_10150803605989567_571399422_n.jpg

246789_10150894254014567_1686354561_n.jpg

409730_10150803606169567_1151467981_n.jpg

408427_10150894252339567_1300329991_n.jpg

550568_10150666357194567_1809276554_n.jpg

557520_10150888177999567_1631865309_n.jpg

527066_10150870108894567_2019694004_n.jpg

More pics to come as they are posted.

Yea it is! I am proud to see my school move towards private fundraising as well. I would love to see Southern actually acquire the land across the street from campus running to the bluff along Harding and the Scenic/Scotland avenue corridor. That can potentially be a hot spot for commercial growth and money can be funneled into the university for further advancement. Especially along Scotland/Scenic because the buildings are already there! A good renovation and I can see the potential. I sat out for a good bit recently from school, but I'm returning and I plan on bringing this idea forward. I must say I LOVE the new direction Southern U is headed in ... But that damn football team ..... Moving right along LOl

Great ideas, but be careful! People criticize the other school in town for innovative thinking when it comes to sources of revenue.

I support it completely. Southern should add more student housing, spend a fortune on coaching.....whatever they can do to funnel $$ back to the academic side. I bet they'd do well with a hotel on campus.

Good luck with school! Put as much effort as you can, focus on your studies, and network with employers and faculty. In this job market, you'll need all the relevant experience you can get along with a great GPA to stand out.

I want to see a development kinda like Sterling Northgate across the Harding from the Palisades. A gateway at the foot of the "hump" the Harding Blvd bridge leading onto campus. There's a national search starting in January for a new head coach. Southern just received a $5.3M grant as well from the federal government. In terms of school for me, I plan to focus heavily on recruitment for my department and I plan to compliment my portfolio with research. I want to be published before graduation and I'm about to start doing podcasts on community development. I am considering an Associates in Construction Management as well.

• 4 years later...

Good news for northern B.R.

Southern University plans new alumni complex that could include retail, multifamily space

The Southern University Alumni Federation is planning a new alumni complex on the south end of the campus in an effort to grow the association’s footprint and spur economic development in north Baton Rouge.

The federation is in the process of rezoning a plot of land on Harding Boulevard, near James J. Prestage Street, on the south side of campus to allow for commercial development. The site is five acres and has a potential for 250,000 square feet of space for commercial and multifamily use.

If approved, several ideas are being batted around that will include a combination of student housing, hotel, retail and restaurant uses, says Southern University Alumni Federation President Preston Castille. The center will likely be named the Center for Alumni and Economic Development.
“The idea is this project could be one of hopefully several that would spark development on campus and ultimately spark development in the north Baton Rouge area,” Castille says, adding there are more plans in the works.

Southern recently moved some of its law classes to the Mentorship Academy downtown, a branching-out of the HBCU that school leaders say will continue in the coming months. The alumni federation currently works out of an office near the university’s library, but will move its operations to the new center.

Rinaldi Jacobs, interim executive director of the Baton Rouge North Economic Development District, says the center will be akin to LSU’s Lod Cook alumni center, which includes event space, a caterer and a hotel. The project will likely have several tenants.

“We’re going to use this as an economic generator as part of the north Baton Rouge build up,” Jacobs says, adding it will likely take between 18 months and two years to complete the project.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/southern-university-alumni-complex-student-housing-hotel-floated

• 4 months later...

Archived