Greenville Wish List for 2008

distortedlogic

Well, one was started in the Spartanburg forum and I was surprised no one had started one for gville yet.

Here is my wish list (in no particular order)for 2008:

1. The Kroc Center will begin construction

2. The Marriott Ctyard will be under construction

3. The next phase of Riverplace will be underway, possibly with plans for phase 3 released

4. Plans for Old Woolworth site to be announced and progressing without delay

5. The Gateway site will fianlly see a project take off

6. The Ct St residential project to be in construction

7. Continued redevelopment in DT of rundown sites, and or parking lots

8. A new major project will be announced somewhere DT Other than ones we already know about or are anitcipating

9. Bookends Phase 2 will begin

10. The POM will have either started or died with no more uncertainty

I guess this is actually my wish list for DT. I suppose we could split it up into DT wish list, and Gville Metro wishlist. What are you guys hoping for?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. A site will be chosen for a multlevel United States Federal Courthouse.

2. Professional hockey returns to the Bi-Lo Center.

3. A new state's tallest tower is announced to locate downtown.

4. An announcement to improve several key intersections on I-85: I-385, Woodruff Road and Laurens Road

5. Road diet for South Church Street from six to four lanes with planted median and bike lanes from Augusta Street to University Ridge

6. Rutherford Street/Poinsett Highway and Easley Bridge Road corridors are targeted for long term revitalization

7. Major grocer locates along Easley Bridge Road corridor

8. Light rail transit study between Greenville, Greer and Spartanburg proceeds.

9. A massive retail/entertainment district is realized downtown.

10. Another Verdae-like project is announced elsewhere on the west or nothern sides of Greenville.

Lets stick to 1 list. What do you want to see the MOST. Sometimes its tough to choose....

Bo you have suggested the LRT study in both threads, but in this one you sound as though this is already being mulled over by officials? Have I missed something important or are you just wishing for it to happen? :)

1. Problems with GTA funding are solved

2. Plans for express busses and rapid transit (BRT) move forward

3. New vertically mixed use project at least 1 block away from Main St

4. Gateway site plans get finalized

5. New projects in the vicinity of Magnolia and Verdae that will compliment and enhance what they have started

6. 4 new West End redevelopment projects (for existing buildings)

7. Continued residential growth downtown

8. Retail enhancement perpendicular to Main St

9. Retail enhancement on Main St through larger chains

10. Annexation of any surrounding residential areas to the city

1. A theater (movie) opens downtown.

2. The Gateway site plans are finalized and construction starts.

3. A low fare carrier announces new service to GSP.

4. The planned pedestrian bridge over College and Academy to link Heritage Green starts construction.

5. Tyler Florence announces the spot for his restaurant and construction starts.

6. The greenway system continues to add miles at a rapid clip.

7. Bloom opens a downtown location.

8. A downtown street repaving program for ALL streets (especially those torn up by years of building construction).

9. The GO plan takes off, with construction of a major tourist info center downtown.

10. The city wide drive to bury power lines gets into full swing. A program to put all stoplights on arms is pushed through as well.

We know how much talk to build a high speed rail line from Washington, DC to Atlanta on a new line through Spartanburg, Greenville-Spartanburg International, and Greenville. That is so many years away and no push to make that happen.

Why not push it on a local level? Fly into GSP and take a people mover/monorail into Greer. There you can take one of two rail lines to Greenville or Spartanburg. This 24/7 service connects three major focus points in Greenville and Spartanburg counties and sets up long term plans for connections to other focus points in their metropolitan areas. Perhaps I should consider: Greenville and Spartanburg establish a regional transit system with rail connections to focal points in ten years.

1. A theater (movie) opens downtown.

2. The Gateway site plans are finalized and construction starts.

3. A low fare carrier announces new service to GSP.

4. The planned pedestrian bridge over College and Academy to link Heritage Green starts construction.

5. Tyler Florence announces the spot for his restaurant and construction starts.

6. The greenway system continues to add miles at a rapid clip.

7. Bloom opens a downtown location.

8. A downtown street repaving program for ALL streets (especially those torn up by years of building construction).

9. The GO plan takes off, with construction of a major tourist info center downtown.

10. The city wide drive to bury power lines gets into full swing. A program to put all stoplights on arms is pushed through as well.

Well, there is an SCDOT report due on HSR feasibility some time this month. So hopefully that will shed some light on things.

As for LRT, I'm not sure how practical it would be. I only say that because there was a study done a few years back on Commuter Rail feasibility between Spartanburg and Greenville.... the short story is that the results showed that there isn't enough cross traffic between the counties to warrant seriously looking at commuter rail. So, in al likelihood they would not seriously look at LRT as an alternative.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but unfortunately there just isn't much going for transit within the Upstate metros.

Great thread. There are so many great ideas thus far! Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

1. Announcement of at least one major corporate headquarters relocating to the Greenville metro.

2. Renderings of the gateway site are released, with construction getting underway by the end of the year.

3. Pinnacle on Main construction begins.

4. Low-cost carrier at GSP Int'l.

5. Site plan for Woolworth's building is released and construction begins.

6. Redevelopment of County Square is seriously discussed/planned.

7. GTA makes strides toward becoming a reliable, innovative transit system.

8. The McChesney project at The Point gets back on track.

9. GO Center plans are finalized to increase Greenville's tourism.

10. City leaders and planners respond to the need for an entertainment street/district downtown or in the West End and work toward encouraging its proper development.

Well, one was started in the Spartanburg forum and I was surprised no one had started one for gville yet.

Here is my wish list (in no particular order)for 2008:

1. The Kroc Center will begin construction

2. The Marriott Ctyard will be under construction

3. The next phase of Riverplace will be underway, possibly with plans for phase 3 released

4. Plans for Old Woolworth site to be announced and progressing without delay

5. The Gateway site will fianlly see a project take off

6. The Ct St residential project to be in construction

7. Continued redevelopment in DT of rundown sites, and or parking lots

8. A new major project will be announced somewhere DT Other than ones we already know about or are anitcipating

9. Bookends Phase 2 will begin

10. The POM will have either started or died with no more uncertainty

I guess this is actually my wish list for DT. I suppose we could split it up into DT wish list, and Gville Metro wishlist. What are you guys hoping for?

1. A formal announcement on the much anticipated 285 "Northern Loop" connecting the whole north county with a southern terminus at exit 14 on 85 and a northern terminus @ exit 79 with interchanges along hwy's 221, 9, 26, 176, 14, 101, 290, 25, 276, 8, 178, 183, 123, and 29 ending @ exit 14 on 85. A rough parallel to hwy 11, if you will.

2. Making the aforementioned hwy's 14, 101 and 290 all 2 lane each way from Wade Hampton Blvd. to 414. This is loooong overdue.

3. Making the J. Verne Smith Pkwy aka hwy 80 a true limited access freeway connecting 285 with 85 and ending @ 385 thus allowing all of us in Greertucky and all of Blue Ridge to come into the 21st century and shave off the 25 minutes or so it takes us to just get to 85 via Main Street/14. UGHH!!!

4. A real "Greenridge" type lifestyle center for those of us in the hinterlands. The proposed one @ 85/14 is still a good 20 minute drive away.

5. The demise of Moes. (I had to put that one in there.) ;)

I guess I'll submit my wishes, too.

1. Construction for current proposed projects: Pinnacle on Main, Court Street Condo tower, Rhett Street Condo Tower, Courtyard by Marriott on Main

2. New large tenant for CU-ICAR announced and begin construction on another 'Collaboration' building in technology neighborhood 1

3. New large HQ at the Millennium Campus with a high profile site

4. Gateway tower details and construction starting

5. A development on the same scale as McBee Station for the North End

6. Details/renderings and Construction for the Washington/Main/Piazza Bergamo site

7. More 'transit-ready' developments proposed and constructed along the GreenLink line from Downtown to CU-ICAR

8. Annexation into the City of Greenville of both residential and commercial tracts

9. Progress on the linking of Heritage Green to Main Street

10. Construction on the "Go Center"

• 1 year later...

Lets stick to 1 list. What do you want to see the MOST. Sometimes its tough to choose....

Bo you have suggested the LRT study in both threads, but in this one you sound as though this is already being mulled over by officials? Have I missed something important or are you just wishing for it to happen? :)

1. Problems with GTA funding are solved

2. Plans for express busses and rapid transit (BRT) move forward

3. New vertically mixed use project at least 1 block away from Main St

4. Gateway site plans get finalized

5. New projects in the vicinity of Magnolia and Verdae that will compliment and enhance what they have started

6. 4 new West End redevelopment projects (for existing buildings)

7. Continued residential growth downtown

8. Retail enhancement perpendicular to Main St

9. Retail enhancement on Main St through larger chains

10. Annexation of any surrounding residential areas to the city

Archived