Arlington Park

The Dude

bayfront.jpg

From the Press-Register

The Alabama State Port Authority plans a public park by late 2008 or early 2009 on more than 20 acres just east of Brookley Industrial Complex on Mobile Bay, part of 46 acres it agreed Tuesday to buy for $1.3 million from the Mobile Airport Authority. But the park does not include a key element of the plan the Port Authority discussed as early as 2003 -- inclusion of Arlington Point. That 15-acre, man-made spit of land juts into the bay between Brookley and the McDuffie Coal Terminal.

"I would love to see Arlington Point itself eventually incorporated, but we're not there right now," said Jimmy Lyons, who runs the state docks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys guess what!!! South Alabama (the university) is going to sell its land at Brookley! they are going to sell 135 acres of land but they want to keep the buildings. I hope the city will buy some of it for another bayfront park! They could bring Monroe Park back to life!! We could have both of our historic bayfront parks back, Arlington and Monroe park!

Guys guess what!!! South Alabama (the university) is going to sell its land at Brookley! they are going to sell 135 acres of land but they want to keep the buildings. I hope the city will buy some of it for another bayfront park! They could bring Monroe Park back to life!! We could have both of our historic bayfront parks back, Arlington and Monroe park!

• 4 months later...

Today Mayor Jones will ask the City Council to approve the new 40-acre bayfront park. The Port Authority will spend about $6.4 million to build the park, which will include gazebos, walking trails, a pier and 20 acres of wetlands. The park should be completed by the end of 2008 or early 2009, and then the city would take over maintenance.

Park vote could come today

• 8 months later...

The Alabama State Port Authority hired a project manager for the $7 million Arlington Park project on Mobile Bay, off Broad Street south of I-10. According to ASPA a contract for the pier/kayak launch will be awarded in about 60 days, with the rest of the work expected to be awarded several weeks after that. The park should be finished by fall.

Arlington Park moves toward fall completion

Archived