Pine Bluff losing MSA Status?

The general rule is that a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) must consist of atleast one city with a population over 50,000 and the MSA itself must have a population of over 100,000. Pine Bluff's population in 2000 was 55,085 and the 2006 estimate has P.B.'s population at 51,758. The population of the Pine Bluff MSA at the 2006 estimate was 103,638 which is a decrease of 3.4% since 2000. By the 2010 census, it is very likely that the Pine Bluff MSA will no longer meet the standards to be considered a Metropolitan Statistical Area, so what would likely happen at that point?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it could eventually but it will be difficult. Much of the professional class in Pine Bluff actually lives in or near LR and commutes. I know bankers, physicians, UAPB professors and scientists at NCTR that do this. I don't know that more than 25% of the work force will ever commute one-way but it wouldn't shock me if a quarter will commute in either direction. PB is becoming more dependent on LR for medical care, shopping, law and accounting, culture, etc as it has suffered a population decline - especially since it is siphoning off the upper and upper middle class even more quickly.

Archived