Carpool

detwaa84

Sorry to be starting such a silly topic. But does anyone know how I can find carpooling information to/from Chicago. I go there regularly for business and pleasure and prefer to save money that way. I always hear of people carpooling to places, but how and with who. Do you actually have to know the person. I'd appreciate your input.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is because you are not booking your trip at least 1 month in advance. I just tried it for the end of January and it came to $1 Regardless, just a couple weeks from now, it's still just $8.

If it's not the trip there that will cost you, it's the elevated CTA prices -- ouch.

I wouldn't bother paying for a bus trip that's $30 oneway. With current gas prices you shouldn't pay more than $70 round trip by car (unless you take the Indiana Tollway). Parking should cost you nothing if you use the CTA park and rides on the weekends.

Amtrak is always a good option if your not in a hurry. Save money by booking ahead of time (weekdays are very reasonable) and if you have AAA or Student Advantage Card you will get 10-15% reduced fare. I like taking Amtrak becuase you get a lot of room to move around, and there are always cool people on the train that are friendly (and you can have a drink!)...

Amtrak is not the cheapest or fastest way to get from Michigan to Chicago, but it is a fun change of pace. Expect average fares from Detroit to Chicago to be $50-$90.

Those Amtrak prices seem really high. I travel Detroit to Philadelphia and DC quite regularly on Amtrak (i enjoy rail travel because I can get where I'm going but still have the time to sit back and relax--something that you don't get in flying) for less than $100. I would be shocked to hear that traveling the short Detroit-Chicago distance would be anything above $50.

Archived