Hopcat grand opening January 12

DwntwnGeo

I saw this on Chris Knape's blog:

"By year's end (knock), this "beer nut's home away from home" will fill the spot vacated by the Sierra Room, 25 Ionia Ave. SW, earlier this year."

"When it opens late this year (which in restaurant language could easily mean February or March), the bar is expected to have 48 beers on tap, mainly microbrews, with a heavy emphasis on Michigan beers."

"While he didn't want to discuss numbers, the complete renovation of the space is not coming cheap. "I'm kind of a perfectionist," he said. "I want it to be exactly what I want I want it to be. We're not cutting corners, and the costs are adding up.""

The complete article can be read here: New bar on the way

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some more from Chris in today's Press:

Chris also mentions another new bar to open on the Southwestern corner of Fulton and Ionia. He doesn't give any details though. With the continued increase of college students in the downtown area, Ionia will have quite the bar choices. Anyone up for a UP pub craw? :alc:

Love the name...

Sounds like he's pumping all personal money into it so the project should be well-managed.

I believe i can officially announce that there is critical mass achieved in dt GR with bars/clubs/dining.

Now we just need 10 more Hopson Flats style projects within a 1 mile radius of the arena and there's no stopping retail!

• 1 month later...

This is Mark Sellers, owner of Hopcat. To clear up any confusion about when we're opening...we'll be opening to the public on January 12. Everything is right on schedule (actually a little ahead of schedule) and construction will be done in about a week. Jimmy Stagger will play at the grand opening. I don't want to use this forum as a promotional vehicle, just wanted to clear up the confusion because I've heard various rumors about the opening date since the incorrect date was printed in a GR Press article in October (they were talking about Founder's opening date, but somehow it got printed as Hopcat's opening date by mistake).

Mark

Thanks for the update! I know a lot of us are looking forward to the opening!

Joe

This is Mark Sellers, owner of Hopcat. To clear up any confusion about when we're opening...we'll be opening to the public on January 12. Everything is right on schedule (actually a little ahead of schedule) and construction will be done in about a week. Jimmy Stagger will play at the grand opening. I don't want to use this forum as a promotional vehicle, just wanted to clear up the confusion because I've heard various rumors about the opening date since the incorrect date was printed in a GR Press article in October (they were talking about Founder's opening date, but somehow it got printed as Hopcat's opening date by mistake).

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived