Bringing a professional soccer team for RI

grdan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a thread here about the Kraft's looking for a new home for the Revolution a couple years ago. Don't know where they stand with that now.

I believe the city has speculated about a soccer stadium internally (sort of what-if sim city type of thinking about it). I'd touch base with the Panning Department to see what the city has been thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Smith is very hard to get a response from. I try simple things like football schedules or baseball etc... and it takes week. Something like this will take longer. I would also message the board of trustees or the president. I am sure if Bill doesn't answer they will help. Even to get on the phone call the SID Jason is very responsive and can usually be a good help.

• 2 weeks later...

Pierce Field has a nice feeling of permanence to it - probably because of all the stonework. I think it's already set up with ticket booths - and has lights. I don't think it's the most visible or easiest field to find on your first time out. It's very close to I 195, but kind of tucked away in the neighborhood just off of Veterans Memorial Parkway.

• 2 weeks later...

Mount Pleasant High School has a nice field with 2,000+ capacity, and its adjacent to RI College and about a mile from Olneyville which is a predominately immigrant neighborhood and potential fan base.

I think when first starting out it would work best in the city rather than out in East Providence or Cranston. The right field in Pawtucket or Central Falls would make a successful location too.

Mount Pleasant High School has a nice field with 2,000+ capacity, and its adjacent to RI College and about a mile from Olneyville which is a predominately immigrant neighborhood and potential fan base.

I think when first starting out it would work best in the city rather than out in East Providence or Cranston. The right field in Pawtucket or Central Falls would make a successful location too.

Pierce Field is visible at night with their lights on from the Thurbers Ave. curve on RT 95. The RI state high school football championship has been played there for the last ten plus years so most sports fans in RI know how to get there. They have good lighting and a nice natural grass field.

It has been the home field for other semi-pro soccer teams over the years as well. they have a press box, bathrooms and a concession stand. The stadium can hold up to 10,000 people.

Using that field also makes the location closer to Fall River, New Bedford and Taunton which have large soccer fan bases.

Pierce Field is visible at night with their lights on from the Thurbers Ave. curve on RT 95. The RI state high school football championship has been played there for the last ten plus years so most sports fans in RI know how to get there. They have good lighting and a nice natural grass field.

It has been the home field for other semi-pro soccer teams over the years as well. they have a press box, bathrooms and a concession stand. The stadium can hold up to 10,000 people.

Using that field also makes the location closer to Fall River, New Bedford and Taunton which have large soccer fan bases.

Archived