Bringing a professional soccer team for RI

grdan

I drove by MPHS the other day and its probably not right for a club team on second thought.

Actually, RI College has a newly upgraded outdoor soccer complex with a brand new press box and grandstand. It has 2,000 seats according to RIC's newsletter. I would say that trying to draw people 13 miles out of the city into rural northwest RI (Bryant) is a tough sell for an upstart team, but I'm no sports marketing guru so take it for what its worth.

"You mean we gotta go all the way up to Smithfield? Way up there off of 295?!" Remember, this is RI... :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove by MPHS the other day and its probably not right for a club team on second thought.

Actually, RI College has a newly upgraded outdoor soccer complex with a brand new press box and grandstand. It has 2,000 seats according to RIC's newsletter. I would say that trying to draw people 13 miles out of the city into rural northwest RI (Bryant) is a tough sell for an upstart team, but I'm no sports marketing guru so take it for what its worth.

"You mean we gotta go all the way up to Smithfield? Way up there off of 295?!" Remember, this is RI... :lol:

that walk sucks especially for soccer, better off driving :D I never make the walk ever ....

The facility is actually great for soccer matches though. The seating is great, the field is always in great condition. Bryant prides itself on its grounds and they are always in great condition. The main concourse has concessions built in and decent bathrooms. It also has decent locker rooms from what I have seen (only saw the home side)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, just wanted to keep you updated, we have decided to commit to Rhode Island as the home for your team. We have been in contact with several stadiums and will be weighing up the options. We're planning to launch the team in spring '09. Any suggestions for names?

Hello everyone, just wanted to keep you updated, we have decided to commit to Rhode Island as the home for your team. We have been in contact with several stadiums and will be weighing up the options. We're planning to launch the team in spring '09. Any suggestions for names?

• 2 months later...

Just an update for everyone, MySC USA is about to begin official voting on the name, club colors etc... We're officially based out of Providence. If you guys are interested signup at www.mysoccerclubusa.com, $50 a year, figures out to about $4 a month, i spend more on beer in a week.

I'm intrigued by the concept, and really hope it works out. If it does, it's an incredible thing for sports and would be great for RI in the process.

For those of you who are unaware, something similar has happened before: 28,000 people spent the equivalent of $72 to become members of an online group MyFootballClub, which purchased 75% of a English soccer team called Ebbsfleet United, currently on the 5th tier of English professional soccer. I'm one of the 28k. The difference is, Ebbsfleet had already existed for over 60 years and just was bought out... not something built from the ground up by online users.

• 2 months later...

Archived