Christmas in Your City...Ever Been White?

alon504

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While my parents told me that we had at least 1 'White Christmas' when I was a toddler, I don't recall it and also haven't found photographic evidence to back it up.

I will say though, I am ready to drive/fly somewhere where snow will be guaranteed on Christmas day! I want a White Christmas BAD!!!!

The only one I have seen was in Myrtle Beach in 1989. It was a "freak" snowstorm that started a couple of days before Christmas and dumped 14 inches on the city. It was unusual because Myrtle Beach will go for more than a decade at a time without any snow, and it does snow, the amounts are small. Coincidently this was the same year that Hurricane Hugo brushed the city. It was 72 there this Christmas Eve.

I am currently living in Charlotte and they say the last white Christmas here was in 1947 and has only happened twice since they started keeping records in the early 1800s.

The only one I have seen was in Myrtle Beach in 1989. It was a "freak" snowstorm that started a couple of days before Christmas and dumped 14 inches on the city. It was unusual because Myrtle Beach will go for more than a decade at a time without any snow, and it does snow, the amounts are small. Coincidently this was the same year that Hurricane Hugo brushed the city. It was 72 there this Christmas Eve.

I am currently living in Charlotte and they say the last white Christmas here was in 1947 and has only happened twice since they started keeping records in the early 1800s.

• 4 weeks later...

On Wikipedia they list the percent chance of a white Christmas for selected cities. Oddly I didn't see Atlanta but I doubt it stands over 1 or 2 percent chance. Maybe I just missed it. Anyway, below is a link with a map which charts the Christmas snow probabilities.

Of all the Southern cities listed, Nashville and Louisville have the highest chance and are tied with a 13% chance of a white Christmas. New York City, Philli, and Seattle all have less of a chance than Nashville or Louisville. Here is a partial list with numbers from the list.

Nashville / Louisville - 13%

New York City - 10%

Philladelphia - 10%

Seattle - 8%

Richmond - 7%

Little Rock - 3%

Charlotte - 0%

Charleston, SC - 3%

Savanah, GA - 3%

Amarillo, TX - 7%

Dallas - 8%

Here is a link to the map...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:US_Whit...ristmas_Map.gif

and a link to the list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas

• 2 months later...

Growing up in Cleveland, OH, it's odd if you don't have a white christmas. This past Christmas up there I think set a record for having their 3rd straight year w/out a white christmas. Once, there was even upwards of 4' of snow on the ground at Christmas time. Lake effect can do that. Heck, half of my Thanksgiving's up there have been white as well.

Growing up in Cleveland, OH, it's odd if you don't have a white christmas. This past Christmas up there I think set a record for having their 3rd straight year w/out a white christmas. Once, there was even upwards of 4' of snow on the ground at Christmas time. Lake effect can do that. Heck, half of my Thanksgiving's up there have been white as well.

• 2 months later...

A few years ago it snowed in Cincinnati on the eve of Christmas Eve - about 9 inches of snow capped with two inches of ice. I walked out my back yard onto a thick sheet of ice...and my 250 pound body didn't sink.

Anyway, last minute Christmas shopping was a beotch because it took a couple hours to dig the car out of that mess, having to chisle ice out to the middle of the street. Then the drive to the liquor store took about an hour when it's normally a 15 minute drive.

Typically it doesn't snow here on Christmas but it's not unusual to have one measureable snowfall between Thanksgiving and Christmas to put one in the mood. The "snowy season" - if you want to call it that - runs roughly from New Years to mid February. Actually it should be called the "icy" season because we never seem to get just snow; there seems to be a lot of ice and freezing rain involved due to all that Gulf moisture.

• 3 weeks later...
A few years ago it snowed in Cincinnati on the eve of Christmas Eve - about 9 inches of snow capped with two inches of ice. I walked out my back yard onto a thick sheet of ice...and my 250 pound body didn't sink.

Anyway, last minute Christmas shopping was a beotch because it took a couple hours to dig the car out of that mess, having to chisle ice out to the middle of the street. Then the drive to the liquor store took about an hour when it's normally a 15 minute drive.

Typically it doesn't snow here on Christmas but it's not unusual to have one measureable snowfall between Thanksgiving and Christmas to put one in the mood. The "snowy season" - if you want to call it that - runs roughly from New Years to mid February. Actually it should be called the "icy" season because we never seem to get just snow; there seems to be a lot of ice and freezing rain involved due to all that Gulf moisture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
Actually Tennessee and North Carolina have somewhat different weather patterns due to the appalachians spitting the borders down the middle. Tennessee is generally colder and gets significantly more snowfall than NC on average, particularly middle and east Tennessee. NC does get those huge snowstorms that come off the gulf sometimes but it is an abnormality. Usually this area of GA will get some of that same storm.

Growing up in Northern Middle Tennessee on the Highland Rim NE of Nashville we had at least a couple of white Christmases with one I distinctly remember with several inches falling. I believe it was in 1969 as I hadn't started school yet. (I was about 5 at the time but remember it well). Actually Nashville receives almost the same amount of annual snowfall as St. Louis and yet our relatives who live a little NE of St. Louis in Illinois can't dispell the false notion that we "don't get much snow and aren't used to it". Well that's true for Georgia where I've lived since 1983 but certainly not for Tennessee.

We can't compete with Maine, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived