Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoga

Alternatives to cable modem: Windstream?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone here tried any of the alternatives to TWC roadrunner, like Embarq, or this new one I just stumbled across - Windstream?

My TWC bill continues to creep toward $50, and I'm ready to kick them to the curb, especially if the highest speed offered by Windstream is $17 cheaper.

I am not sure who serves your local area, but AT&T is now offereing naked DSL in NC. This means you don't need to buy a highly regulated and taxed phone line to have it, and you basically pay based on speed. The least expensive version of this is about $15/month. Also part of the Triangle is served by clearwire.com. They offer a cable modem that communicates over the airwaves and it appears that is it significantly less expensive than cable.

I get bombarded with mail from clearwire over here in Raleigh all the time. They charge $29.99/month and the speed of their network is 1.5mbps . TW's standard cable service speed is 6mbps and up to 8mbps on their fastest and DSL generally runs between 4-5mbps at its fastest. So if you don't care about the speed specs as much, clearwire is the way to go, otherwise TW is the way to go if you want the fastest connection you can get.

I would be very interested to hear how Clearwire's service works in NC. Does it reliably achieve 1.5Mbps throughput, how fast is the uplink, how is the latency, etc?

Thanks,

Steve