Interstate for Columbus

aboutmetro

Which Interstate for Columbus, GA  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Interstate would be most Economically Beneficial

• I-14 - Augusta, GA to Natchez, MS
    • I-185 Extension (Re-designate as I-81)
    • I-22 Extension - Memphis, TN to Brunswick, GA
    • I-16 Extension - Savannah, GA to Lubbock, TX
  2. 2. Is a "Benning Bypass" Needed for the Metro-Area

• Yes, it would open southern metro growth
    • No, perimeter highways create sprawl
  3. 3. Would I-185 be better terminated at Tallahassee, FL or at the Florida gulf coast

• Tallahassee
    • Gulf Coast
    • Why stop there, create West FL Coast Highwy
  4. 4. What group should promote a new Interstate?

• The Chamber of Commerce
    • The local Government(s)
    • A group specifically formed to focus on new Interstate promotion
    • Some combination of these

I find it funny that this is the preferred route I myself drew on Google Earth a few years back - and I'm only 18 now. Why didn't any of the bigwigs in the DOT think of this before, if I did?

Have you ever heard the saying "can't see the forest for the trees?", that plus the Fall Line Highway was supposed to be limited access (before there was mention of an I-14), and probably political leaders in Macon wanted to keep the traffic nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wayne Vardaman, Selma, AL Chamber of Commerce...

There's also the issue of geography. Selma is nowhere near I-65, the main highway that links the aeronautical mecca of Huntsville to the health care giant of Birmingham and the state capital of Montgomery.

"The statistics say that 79 to 80 percent of all the companies, manufacturing companies, locate somewhere within five miles of an interstate. So looking at those numbers you already know that you're at a disadvantage if you're not on an interstate."

Why doesn't Mike Gaymon understand this concept? For all of the Valley Partnership's efforts, does he think it's an accident that every single Kia supplier is within a couple of miles of I-85?

• 6 months later...

I-22 between Memphis and B'ham gets further funding - [Memphis] Commercial Appeal article here

Alabama makes Interstate development part of its political landscape. AL.com supported Greg Reed for State Senate saying,

"He seems to have a good grasp on how to bring jobs to his district by utilizing its economic engines such as the newly completed Interstate 22, Bevill State Community College and the University of Alabama." Shouldn't the CLE at least do that much? Back candidates that back the Columbus region? (Reed one with 73% of the vote).

HB 277 (read it here) that passed the last State legislature will likely change transportation in the State more than anything in a long, long while. However, transporation is to be planned by the new regional commissions (see map above). For Columbus, this commission boundary only including Harris to the north is weird. Columbus now has much more in common economically with Troup County (not to mention Lee & Chambers Alabama) than it does Clay or Randolph to the south.

81-30Atlanta.jpgNews about I-81 from New York to Tennessee - article here

"Neither trucks nor trains can meet the projected services needed in 2025," said James E. Ward Jr., president of a Hagerstown, Md., trucking company. "We're in it together, or it's going to be a mess. We have to work together. It doesn't happen by one single mode. If we're going to keep America moving every single day we're going to have to work together."

not to defend anyone but columbus ga will probably never have full interstate access i think columbus ga has a curse on it. And plus columbus doesn't know how to grow the proper way eithier.Everytime you turn around they always build stuff cheap and small.Its about time they start bringing better developers into the area im tired of seeing these small cookie cutter hotels and small buildings columbus needs to bring in better developers im ready to start seeing some high density construction projects come to columbus.But it probably will never happen eithier poor columbus i feel for you.

not to defend anyone but columbus ga will probably never have full interstate access i think columbus ga has a curse on it. And plus columbus doesn't know how to grow the proper way eithier.Everytime you turn around they always build stuff cheap and small.Its about time they start bringing better developers into the area im tired of seeing these small cookie cutter hotels and small buildings columbus needs to bring in better developers im ready to start seeing some high density construction projects come to columbus.But it probably will never happen eithier poor columbus i feel for you.

This is bologna. Your opinion backed up with no fact.

Whatever any how Im not trying to start any trouble im really a sweet person I really am but i don't need no fact to back it up I have lived in the columbus area my whole entire life and i know this area like the back of my head I know how this area is.Everytime something big and good wants to happen to columbus you always get your hopes up and then boom something always goes wrong.And besides if columbus does get full interstate access it will be another twenty to thirty years from now all this information you see about the proposed interstate or interstates for columbus is just all talk right now until I see dirt turning then i will be amazed. Don't get me wrong i want to see columbus gain full interstate access just as bad as you do. Im Actually pushing to have this interstate come threw columbus But i really just don't see it happening know time soon because there's only one problem from stopping it from happening and thats the funding.The funding is just not available right now.Its going to be a fairly costly project.Thanks have a great day

• 3 weeks later...

There are economic development officials who understand the importance of Interstates, and then there are Columbus economic development officials... or at least powers-that-be. This article in OA News expresses the Auburn-Opelika area's understanding very well... The last quote says it all... "When economic developers offer the Auburn/Opelika sales pitch to companies, proximity to the interstate is sky high on the list. Interstate 85 has become our river, our railway to growth."

i85n-exit51-patriarca.jpg

The FHA has a great series of maps showing population density along Interstates since 1950. Follow this link to the page.

Of course, this one is one of my favorites - One of the original planning maps for the Eisenhower Interstate System. Eventually, as we all now know, Columbus was edited out and is now the largest metro area not on an Interstate in the nation - I-185 Spur notwithstanding.

intreg6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great topic -- at least for Columbusites. Would it be greedy to say -- all of the above?!?!?

- Extend I-22 from B'Ham to Columbus and tie-in to existing JR Allen Bypass (which is already up to interstate standards) and existing Corridor Z to Brunswick (bring Corridor Z up to interstate standards) this could be the Ft Benning Bypass. However, it also benefits Brunswick, B'ham and Memphis.

As reported in Tuscaloosa News, Economic developers between Memphis and Birmingham are salivating a the new opportunities I-22 will give them. Why would local officials not encourage the extension of the highway from Birmingham to the Georgia Coast?

I-22 work to B'ham is continuing...As reported by AL.com. The image below shows the map of the interchange with I-65 and its termination at US-31 in north B'ham. Unfortunately, no plans for the Freeway's much needed extension to the Georgia Coast and Atlantic Sea Ports. Efforts to cut transportation infrastructure may stall many transportation projects.

corridorxmapjpg-e4133277bcb9ab32.jpg

Map showing potential route to the Georgia Coast and Atlantic Sea Ports -

I-22E.jpg

• 2 months later...

I-14 is not a dead project

The following article ran on local ABC affliate WTVM on Tuesday March 29th

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- A major east west corridor connecting several Sunbelt cities called the 14th Amendment Highway pinpoints Columbus in a feasibility study.

Congress initiated the new roadway study to provide another route for motorists.

The thoroughfare would start in Augusta and continue to Macon onto Columbus through Montgomery, ending in Natchez, Mississippi.

The Georgia Department of Transportation is conducting the study to determine just how feasible the highway would be and what it would take to get it done. "If it could be done properly, it would put us on a real interstate system—that's not to short change I-I85. Right now, this would actually be the only interstate that travels through Columbus and provides that kind of movement back and forth, where as now, 185 is pretty much dedicated to Columbus itself," explained Rick Jones, Columbus Planning Director.

There isn't a proposal on the table but, Jones said the highway would likely go through north Columbus near JR Allen Parkway and US Highway 80. "We have to make sure the highway does no harm to neighborhoods or disrupt communities," added Jones.

Engineers may also consider linking the 14THAH to the Fall Line Freeway to avoid overbuilding.

The 215 mile corridor traverses the entire width of the state from the Alabama State Line in Columbus to Macon and then to Augusta at the South Carolina State Line.

A timeline indicates approximately 20 to 30 years before we could see drivers on the new stretch of roadway.

In the meantime, Columbus City Council will get a status update during its regular scheduled meeting Tuesday.

Rumor-mill says that LaGrange is driving hard to the basket to get it closer to that area for Kia...

Bump lagrange not to say it in a harsh way. Lagrange already has I85 interstate coming near threw the area it doesn't need another interstate. I think the proposed I -14 corridor needs to be brought threw columbus. Columbus has been left without full interstate access for decades.The saddest thing is that columbus is the third largest city in georgia and it doesn't even have full interstate access for a city it's size it needs that full access. And columbus is surely 20 times bigger than lagrange.

Bump lagrange not to say it in a harsh way. Lagrange already has I85 interstate coming near threw the area it doesn't need another interstate. I think the proposed I -14 corridor needs to be brought threw columbus. Columbus has been left without full interstate access for decades.The saddest thing is that columbus is the third largest city in georgia and it doesn't even have full interstate access for a city it's size it needs that full access. And columbus is surely 20 times bigger than lagrange.

I totally agree I-85 is already a great route thru the Lagrange West Point area. Columbus is a much larger city and needs the interstate more. I don't know if anyone else has realize just how much heavier traffic is getting in the city of Columbus. I think GDOT finally has though if anyone has noticed the construction on 185 between St Marys Road and Victory Drive DOT has installed freeway cameras as well as traffic message boards although not up and running yet. Look at business throughout both cities and it is easy to see that Columbus is much more in theway of a business hub than Lagrange as well as transportation hub. I-14 will be built thru Columbus not lagrange. After all alot of that old blood that stopped the orginal interstate in this city has died off and seems like things can get done better here.

I totally agree I-85 is already a great route thru the Lagrange West Point area. Columbus is a much larger city and needs the interstate more. I don't know if anyone else has realize just how much heavier traffic is getting in the city of Columbus. I think GDOT finally has though if anyone has noticed the construction on 185 between St Marys Road and Victory Drive DOT has installed freeway cameras as well as traffic message boards although not up and running yet. Look at business throughout both cities and it is easy to see that Columbus is much more in theway of a business hub than Lagrange as well as transportation hub. I-14 will be built thru Columbus not lagrange. After all alot of that old blood that stopped the orginal interstate in this city has died off and seems like things can get done better here.

Well IF they finally decide to follow through with it, the project wouldn't be completed until 20-30 years from now (got that time frame from WTVM's report on it, just look through the videos on its website). So I wouldn't spend too much time on it - 20 or 30 years anticipating it. Life is too short.

• 1 month later...

Archived