Interstate for Columbus

aboutmetro

Which Interstate for Columbus, GA  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Interstate would be most Economically Beneficial

• I-14 - Augusta, GA to Natchez, MS
    • I-185 Extension (Re-designate as I-81)
    • I-22 Extension - Memphis, TN to Brunswick, GA
    • I-16 Extension - Savannah, GA to Lubbock, TX
  2. 2. Is a "Benning Bypass" Needed for the Metro-Area

• Yes, it would open southern metro growth
    • No, perimeter highways create sprawl
  3. 3. Would I-185 be better terminated at Tallahassee, FL or at the Florida gulf coast

• Tallahassee
    • Gulf Coast
    • Why stop there, create West FL Coast Highwy
  4. 4. What group should promote a new Interstate?

• The Chamber of Commerce
    • The local Government(s)
    • A group specifically formed to focus on new Interstate promotion
    • Some combination of these

WHen you look at the map with all the info in place and all the interstates that are a possibility, you have to see which ones are best for GA and not the surrounding states. However, they can be a benefit for both, taking goods out of state and importing tourism. 

Keeping as much revenue from interstate travels is also a big plus. 

Having I-81 dart out of GA into AL, before going into FL could be a mistake. People tend to say 'lets stop at ___ because the gas is cheaper there and we can eat there too'.  This results in a loss of tax base and job base.  

Keep I-81 going to Fl inside the GA lines until it reaches FL.  These few extra miles can make a difference. 

Additionally, I-16. Yes there is a great opportunity here. Where I-81 heading south first connects with I-85 and overlays with I-85 going SW.  This is a great point for I-16 to have a connection. From I-16 in Macon, continue I-16 West on new freeway and then turn NW to connect with I-85 at new I-81.    This is also a slightly longer bypass for those heading north of Atlanta but don't want to go through the traffic of Atlanta.

I-14 should go through Columbus. It can head west to I-85 at Tuskegee (us80) and overlap with I-85 (which can be widened to accomodate more traffic) to Montgomery. This would be far cheaper than building a new interstate just a few miles south of an existing one.  Then continue to Meridian via US80. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived