Meijer

Love the Meijer at Kazoo and 28th. Said it before, will again, it is my

International Meijer. Plans are, when the old man goes, so goes this

store. Been shopping there long enough to know that many of the

check out people have been there for years and years and I enjoy

that kind of familiarity. Love hearing all the languages spoken there

on a busy Saturday morning. Enjoy being in the midst of so many

shoppers who may look and speak differently than I do, doing exactly

what I'm doing - getting groceries and supplies - we are all human.

I should have said *rumors* are...

Edited by mejane

I'm personally not a big fan of the Meijer style. I actually wouldn't mind it so much if it had remained local but now that they are looking to go Wal-Mart

I dont think meijer with less then 300 stores, which wal-mart opens in a single year is really going "wal-mart" but has mejane stated it could be up for sale then meijer passes, however, if its the case, I hope Tesco comes back into the picture.

If anybody heads to lansing from GR...check out the new Ionia store that was built. Remember, Ionia had the old store similar to the one on Alpine for a long time and they finally replaced it...and the entrance has this big glass that points out to the top, and drops to the ground...it's the coolest thing. I wish someone had pictures of it. I think the layout is different from all the stores too...but I could be wrong.

I know the cascade store is a test location thats why they change it around all time, their always changing the layout on the inside. but I go there because its close to home and my brother works there and its always nice

thats all fine and good, but when you're throwing away 3 year old fixtures, when other stores are clunking along with 20 year old fixtures it gets some of the employees at the older stores a little disgruntled.

thats all fine and good, but when you're throwing away 3 year old fixtures, when other stores are clunking along with 20 year old fixtures it gets some of the employees at the older stores a little disgruntled.

Thats not just a Meijer thing either. Having worked for one of the local grocer competitors I can tell you it seems like there is a habit of doing things like this. Investing in high-profit/high-end stores and neglecting the rest. In my own humble and unresearched opinion I believe this was one of the things that ultimately lead to the demise of D&W.

Edited by j3shafer

Thats not just a Meijer thing either. Having worked for one of the local grocer competitors I can tell you it seems like there is a habit of doing things like this. Investing in high-profit/high-end stores and neglecting the rest. In my own humble and unresearched opinion I believe this was one of the things that ultimately lead to the demise of D&W.

But the next question is, was D&W setting itself up for a takeover?

I think the answer is yes, and thats what we are seeing Meijer do. I think anyone who has worked there in the last 5 years for at least 6 months gets the idea that Meijer waiting for Fred to kick the bucket, and then the sons will sell to the highest bidder. My guess is that it will still be Tesco. (Be on the look out for either Snotty british folks, or inquisitive Japanese business men at your local Meijer with notepads)

And if this does happen, it will be sad for a few months, but when Tesco announces they are building their 35 story office tower HQ in the heart of downtown; Meijer will be almost forgotten.

If anybody heads to lansing from GR...check out the new Ionia store that was built. Remember, Ionia had the old store similar to the one on Alpine for a long time and they finally replaced it...and the entrance has this big glass that points out to the top, and drops to the ground...it's the coolest thing. I wish someone had pictures of it. I think the layout is different from all the stores too...but I could be wrong.

That's one of their new designs. I stumbled across the brand new (grand opening last weekend) stores in Muskegon, and it's the same style.

I am sure that many people who currently live closer to the Kalamazoo/28th and Alpine stores who drive to the nicer ones farther away would come back if these stores were just a little cleaner, better organized and look like a store in 2006 instead of 1970.

I agree. I shop at the Jenison Meijer, now in a state of remodel (which is looking very nice) but I know many people that drive over to Grandville or up to Standale to shop at the "new" Meijer. Jenison is store #26. I think they're now pushing 200 stores, so it's definitely old, and the word around Jenison is that people can't wait to get to the Meijer when it's finished -- especially with a starbucks! :rolleyes:

Don't worry, former Engler insider and out-going Grand Valley State University President Mark Murray will solve all the company's troubles.

BTW, you know what Murray has in common with his college's graduates?

They both have jobs at Meijer waiting for them when they leave GVSU.

:shok:

I smell a broo-ha-ha coming up.

[i would more accurately say when the old man goes, so goes the chain...] I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard that when this happens his son's plan on selling out to Walmart.

Agreed, why do you think Fred is helping with the funding all these hospital projects? :lol:

I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard that when this happens his son's plan on selling out to Walmart.

Edited by karock1

[i would more accurately say when the old man goes, so goes the chain...] I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard that when this happens his son's plan on selling out to Walmart.

I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard that when this happens his son's plan on selling out to Walmart.

Walmart doesnt buy companies.... Walmart DESTROYS companies. You will never see Walmart buy Meijer.

Now a company like Tesco makes a whole lotta sense.

Does anybody remember the cool, funky, yellow lights they used to use in the parking lot at the kzoo/28th store? I grew up around there so that's where we did most our shopping. I always remember how cool certain

colors looked on my clothing in those yellow lights. Crazy the stuff you remember from childhood.

By the way, my claim to fame... My dad was one of the original cashiers there. He came up with the idea for the cart corral because they got sick of wandering all over the lot looking for carts. Wish he would have patented it :angry:

Those were high pressure sodium lamps (or were they low pressure?). They were energy efficient, but more importantly, Fred liked the glow in the sky from his parking lots. They were phased out because of the color shift - customers were actually having trouble finding their cars.

The same lamps were used as grow lights in greenhouses. When Meijer was getting their Gull Road store in Kalamazoo approved (mid 1970's) the neighbors objected because the parking lot lights would destroy their landscaping by forcing growth 24 hours a day. It was a lame objection and the store was approved.

Walmart doesnt buy companies.... Walmart DESTROYS companies. You will never see Walmart buy Meijer.

Now a company like Tesco makes a whole lotta sense.

Could very well be...like I said it was just a rumor, but who knows...maybe a small grain of truth to it. If now Walmart than maybe someone else

• 5 weeks later...

meijer-ionia.jpg