Meijer

It may be 20% cheaper, but it's 50% uglier. :thumbsup:

They couldn't even be bothered to put some little islands in the parking lot. Sure, they don't really do anything, but at least they break up the pavement a little to make it look a little less like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

-nb

Edited by AlexPKeaton

Don't worry, former Engler insider and out-going Grand Valley State University President Mark Murray will solve all the company's troubles.

BTW, you know what Murray has in common with his college's graduates?

They both have jobs at Meijer waiting for them when they leave GVSU.

Hmm, so you are saying that Grand Valley graduates are going to be stocking shelves or ringing people up at Meijer upon graduation. Grand Valley is no longer the cupcake of universities in Michigan and admissions is now very competitive. I chose Grand Valley over U of M and Michigan State to attend Seidman because of the quality and quantity of potential internships and jobs in this area. I grew much closer to U of M and MSU and chose to come here instead. Are you saying that employers do not respect degrees from GVSU? GVSU's quality of students for incoming freshman that last 2 years is second in the state to only the U of M. (24 ACT and 3.5 gpa.) I think it is unfair to say we have jobs at Meijer waiting for us and to post pictures of french fries. The university you guys have here in west michigan produces top notch job candidates and is very good in business, education, engineering and nursing. I take offense to this. <_<

Thats Meijer's new store model. Same on on Kzoo & M-6. IIRC they made a big deal that it was something like 20% cheaper to build, and much faster. I think all their new stores will be the same model

I actually like it a lot. I wish the one on LMD/Wilson was that style. The fake "trying to look like a hometown store" style has always bothered me (a la greenville meijer, cascade meijer).

Hmm, so you are saying that Grand Valley graduates are going to be stocking shelves or ringing people up at Meijer upon graduation. Grand Valley is no longer the cupcake of universities in Michigan and admissions is now very competitive. I chose Grand Valley over U of M and Michigan State to attend Seidman because of the quality and quantity of potential internships and jobs in this area. I grew much closer to U of M and MSU and chose to come here instead. Are you saying that employers do not respect degrees from GVSU? GVSU's quality of students for incoming freshman that last 2 years is second in the state to only the U of M. (24 ACT and 3.5 gpa.) I think it is unfair to say we have jobs at Meijer waiting for us and to post pictures of french fries. The university you guys have here in west michigan produces top notch job candidates and is very good in business, education, engineering and nursing. I take offense to this. <_<

:lol: I think hes just giving you a little in state rivalry rubbing :P

I think that Mark Murray/Meijer line was actually used by one of the speakers at graduation. It was a joke, but glad to see you take great pride in GVSU.

That Meijer in Ionia is fugly! One thing Target has mastered is that at least you FEEL like you're shopping a little more prestigiously. Meijer seems to be chasing Walmart down the FLEA MARKET rabbit hole.

What is the likelihood that Meijer's makes it to a second generation of family ownership? Are we still going to see "Meijer's" as a company in 10 years, or will it fall the way of Prince Corp, Donnelly, etc. here in West Michigan? :(

It may be 20% cheaper, but it's 50% uglier. :thumbsup:

They couldn't even be bothered to put some little islands in the parking lot. Sure, they don't really do anything, but at least they break up the pavement a little to make it look a little less like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

One of their constraints here was the de-construction of the former store. This one's facade faces north, and this pic was shot from the location of the rear loading dock of the previous store (it faced east).

Agree on treed islands in parking lots. When I do have to drive, the car finds some shade to stay in, and I walk acros the sea of asphalt.

Why does Ionia need Black Friday parking lots? Why does Ionia have a Meijer - K Mart - Wal Mart all in a row? Who lived in the former house/barn now being encircled by WM's parking and outlots?

[edited for grammar...hey, it happens!]

Edited by Veloise

Don't worry, former Engler insider and out-going Grand Valley State University President Mark Murray will solve all the company's troubles.

BTW, you know what Murray has in common with his college's graduates?

They both have jobs at Meijer waiting for them when they leave GVSU.

you've made a powerful enemy today :ph34r:

I think that Mark Murray/Meijer line was actually used by one of the speakers at graduation. It was a joke, but glad to see you take great pride in GVSU.

That Meijer in Ionia is fugly! One thing Target has mastered is that at least you FEEL like you're shopping a little more prestigiously. Meijer seems to be chasing Walmart down the FLEA MARKET rabbit hole.

In the mid 70's Vern Ohlman (then at WBDC) lead a team that designed a new Meijer prototype that looked like the Hudson's at Woodland Mall (Hudson's=Marshall Field's=Macy's). However it didn't cost any more than the previous Meijer store. I was in the meeting when it was presented to Fred Meijer and his upper management team. We were very proud of our brilliant design and eager for Fred's praise.

It took Fred about 5 seconds to thank us for our effort and reject the design. He said that his customers came to Meijer in response to the question, "Why pay more?" He could not build a building that looked like an expensive department store because his customers would think that it cost more that it should and they would, therefore, being paying more for the stuff inside the building. Looks were everything in that philosophy.

Meijer has struggled with that problem forever and the stores still reflect their "Why pay more" tag line.

Anybody remember back when Thrifty Boy was on the back of the semi trailers?

Edited by civitas

In the mid 70's Vern Ohlman (then at WBDC) lead a team that designed a new Meijer prototype that looked like the Hudson's at Woodland Mall (Hudson's=Marshall Field's=Macy's). However it didn't cost any more than the previous Meijer store. I was in the meeting when it was presented to Fred Meijer and his upper management team. We were very proud of our brilliant design and eager for Fred's praise.

It took Fred about 5 seconds to thank us for our effort and reject the design. He said that his customers came to Meijer in response to the question, "Why pay more?" He could not build a building that looked like an expensive department store because his customers would think that it cost more that it should and they would, therefore, being paying more for the stuff inside the building. Looks were everything in that philosophy.

Meijer has struggled with that problem forever and the stores still reflect their "Why pay more" tag line.

My guess is that part of this is Fred as well. My tire guy also used to sell tires to Fred. This tire guy is about the least expensive in town, thanks in part to VERY low overhead, yet offers excellent personal service. The story he tells is that even in the heyday of white wall tires, when I am sure most Meijer clerks had them on their cars, Fred would want his turned to the inside because they were "too flashy"

Edited by downtownGRguy

I agree that the Meijer in Ionia is fugly. The one on Telegraph in Southfield looks like that too. Actually, the entries aren't bad, but the rest of the store is blech. Especially that new logo.

Wonder what they'll do with the old Meijer? Why not put a Target there so you have FOUR discount chains in a row? (Watch, they'll actually do that just 'cause I said that.)

Thats the problem, Meijer could go in two directions:

One they act like Target and make people think they are getting a great deal in a nice store

Two they act like Walkmart, cutting costs everywhere to squeeze out that last dime.

Given Meijer's lack of power over suppliers that Walmart has, they probably went with the wrong choice.

Thats the problem, Meijer could go in two directions:

One they act like Target and make people think they are getting a great deal in a nice store

Two they act like Walkmart, cutting costs everywhere to squeeze out that last dime.

Given Meijer's lack of power over suppliers that Walmart has, they probably went with the wrong choice.

Well...I think we may be giving Target too much credit here...I for one do not see a huge amount of difference in the exteriors of any of these stores. (Meijer, Target, WalMart) They are all huge boxes with no windows apart from the entrances with massive amounts of blacktop surrounding them.

Inside there are some big differences. WalMart in my experience has been very disorganized and unkempt. Target is probably about as nice as a store in this format can be. The new Meijer stores (the Kzoo/M-6 store is my reference) are actually quite nice inside. I actually said to my wife one time that I thought that Meijer store is nicer inside and better stocked than the 44th/Breton D&W (at that time now a Family Fare) The Meijer store has a entire aisle of ethnic foods, nice produce displays, etc. Some of the new Meijer Gold label foods are also quite premium quality.

Meijer has one direction, the same direction it has always had, to offer the best deal on absolutely everything. It's the model that Fred created and is the envy of every big-box retailer. Additionally, Meijer is squeezing better profit margins out of revenues than both Target and Wal-Mart.

Fred's influence on the company is everpresent. I hear he still keeps office hours daily, and his understanding of the retail industry is revered nationwide, but the responsibilities of day-to-day company mangement (real estate purchase, store design, product lines) belongs to Hank and Doug, the Pres and the EVP's.

A personal story about Fred Meijer.

My mother happened to have a passing acquaintance with Mrs. Meijer and mentioned one day that it was too bad that the Meijer store she shopped at did not have a particular kind of pancake mix that her grandson (my eldest) loved. It happened that we were about to visit my parents, hence the comment.

We were sitting in the living room one afternoon when an Oldsmobile (not new, mind you) pulls up outside the house. Out of the car strides an older man who, upon reaching the door, says to my surprised parents, "Here, I hope this is the mix that Lena told me about."

It was Fred Meijer.