Meijer

I wonder if Meijer officials were involved before this happened? :)

Interesting. My uncle used to work for Meijer in their Workman's Comp. division. He used to tell us stories of how scuffles like this used to happen once in awhile and how they usually got sued by the thief and lost. For a long time Meijer employees were told not to touch someone suspected of robbing and to just call the police. I guess they changed their policies.

Interesting. My uncle used to work for Meijer in their Workman's Comp. division. He used to tell us stories of how scuffles like this used to happen once in awhile and how they usually got sued by the thief and lost. For a long time Meijer employees were told not to touch someone suspected of robbing and to just call the police. I guess they changed their policies.

That of reminds me a story my brother told me when he worked for an after market car audio shop. A friend of his had his car stereo stolen several times. One day, to deter any would be thief, the guy decided to attach some razor blades on the back of the head unit (the part containing the radio, cd player, etc.) so when a thief reached under the dashboard to pop the head unit out from behind. *Slice* A trip to the ER to get stitched up would be the result. Well a thief did break into the guy's car and attempted to steal the guy's car stereo. So the razor blades did their job and stop the thievery cold. However the guy trying to protect his car audio gear was sued by the thief and lost the case and had to pay the thief's medical bills plus other punitive damages. Maybe the razor blades were a bit overkill. But what ever happen to a person's right to protect his property?

Edited by tamias6

I don't know; I saw someone steal Grey Goose from that same Meijer and the associates were less then energized to confront the individual.

Maybe since this dealing with weaponry? Meijer figured it was the lesser of risks to confront the thief rather then do nothing and have him commit a crime and then be liable for doing nothing?

Just being hypothetical... who knows.

In all of my retail jobs I have worked, we had strict no-confrontation rules when it came to thieves for this very reason. Meijer will be held liable for this person's injuries and a possible wrongful death lawsuit if his injuries are as bad as they were originally reported. Part of the no-confrontation rules are in place to protect the employee as well. The Meijer employee could just as easily been badly injured from the knifes as the thief.

I would bet that 'loss prevention' employee was acting on their own will and was not following proper Meijer protocol when confronting the thief

I don't know; I saw someone steal Grey Goose from that same Meijer and the associates were less then energized to confront the individual.

Maybe since this dealing with weaponry? Meijer figured it was the lesser of risks to confront the thief rather then do nothing and have him commit a crime and then be liable for doing nothing?

Just being hypothetical... who knows.

I think that's a very good point. If they guy stole the knives and then committed a crime, and someone caught wind that Meijer employees pulled a Willy Wonka ("Stop. Don't. Come back."), they'd get sued. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

If Meijer got sued over dealing with the thief, it would be better for Meijer to pay punitive damages that could be easily recovered in short order by store profits or covered by liability insurance, than to have the thief go unchecked and possibly using the knives to kill an innocent person. Money can be replaced. Lives can't.

TV13 is reporting that the ACME township attorney has given the Grand Traverse County prosecutor "evidence of possible conspiracy, perjury and campaign law violations" Re: Meijer and others. The prosecutor will now decide what, if anything, to do. In the middle of all of this, does anyone know if the project itself still has any heartbeat left at all? I know there was talk of a possible scaled-back compromise, but that seems hard to imagine at this point. On another topic, wonder why Ch. 8 hasn't even run the wire stories.

TV13 is reporting that the ACME township attorney has given the Grand Traverse County prosecutor "evidence of possible conspiracy, perjury and campaign law violations" Re: Meijer and others. The prosecutor will now decide what, if anything, to do. In the middle of all of this, does anyone know if the project itself still has any heartbeat left at all? I know there was talk of a possible scaled-back compromise, but that seems hard to imagine at this point. On another topic, wonder why Ch. 8 hasn't even run the wire stories.

As far as I know, stipulations Acme twp insisted upon esp. adding clearly marked walkways for pedestrians and the location of the gas station component of the store pretty much locked up the project. This lock up and a conflict between the orginal developer that brought Meijer into the picture and Acme's wishes to implement a new urbanist master plan were the instigators of this whole Acme Hoopla that lead to the infamous recall. Now that accusations of Meijer's involvement in the recall are out in the open, I think one stands better odds of wining the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstake than Meijer getting its store in Acme Twp. proper. However, if Meijer decides to set its sights outside of Acme's jurisdiction then the odds of seeing a second store in the greater Traverse City area might improve. But that would depend on how keen surrounding communities are in watching the Meijer/ Acma soap opera unfold.

Edited by tamias6

Seyferth founder Ginny Seyferth, who has defended her firm, said today she did not know about the request for an investigation. "I'm not aware of this situation. I haven't been contacted."

I find her other past comments that she is "standing by her client" oddly flipped around, given that her firm is the one that executed the activities.

Back to Acme, it will be interesting to see how the future unfolds re their ability to mandate that kind of master plan on that site going forward. How rigid they will be with smaller potential projects, etc.

Edited by 201test

Seyferth founder Ginny Seyferth, who has defended her firm, said today she did not know about the request for an investigation. "I'm not aware of this situation. I haven't been contacted."

Uh-huh.

Yeah! For a PR firm saying it is standing by it's client. I'm detecting some maijor back swiming. :scared:

Edited by tamias6

Her comments make me chuckle. Had the wrong cell phone number, she's not aware of the situation, was being abducted by aliens (ok, I made that one up). It doesn't seem like she is the most media savvy PR person.

Hey 201test, why is it you only post when bashing Meijer or SST? Got any other interests or hobbies? ;)

Joe

As far as I know, stipulations Acme twp insisted upon esp. adding clearly marked walkways for pedestrians and the location of the gas station component of the store pretty much locked up the project. This lock up and a conflict between the orginal developer that brought Meijer into the picture and Acme's wishes to implement a new urbanist master plan were the instigators of this whole Acme Hoopla that lead to the infamous recall. Now that accusations of Meijer's involvement in the recall are out in the open, I think one stands better odds of wining the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstake than Meijer getting its store in Acme Twp. proper. However, if Meijer decides to set its sights outside of Acme's jurisdiction then the odds of seeing a second store in the greater Traverse City area might improve. But that would depend on how keen surrounding communities are in watching the Meijer/ Acma soap opera unfold.

Hey, I was on the Traverse City thread, and found this Record-Eagle timeline.

http://www.record-eagle.com/archivesearch/..._357093416.html

It contains this:

December 2006 -- Township board dropped restrictions on hours of operation and requirement of brick facade in permit. Meijer declines to drop suit.

And I recall reading about how the Acme board was holding as a condition that Meijer not run 24/7.

How many residents in Acme? How many in TC? How much less would it have cost to give each resident/potential Acme customer a $5 gift card?

Great Find. I copied and pasted this in a word doc saved to my hard drive for some studying. This is a complicated situation that's hard to get one's head around. The time line will be a help.

Hey, I was on the Traverse City thread, and found this Record-Eagle timeline.

http://www.record-eagle.com/archivesearch/..._357093416.html

It contains this:

December 2006 -- Township board dropped restrictions on hours of operation and requirement of brick facade in permit. Meijer declines to drop suit.

And I recall reading about how the Acme board was holding as a condition that Meijer not run 24/7.

How many residents in Acme? How many in TC? How much less would it have cost to give each resident/potential Acme customer a $5 gift card?

Some bad news at the Alpine Ave. Meijer:

I went there to do some quick shopping today only to see that the In-Store medical clinic is gone, leaving behind a vacant space. I asked one of the cashiers what happened. She told me that the company that ran the clinics folded. So this mens that all other Meijer stores hosting medical clinics are no longer doing so. This may not be much concern to folks with health insurance. But those without it or between jobs these clinics sure came in handy.

Some bad news at the Alpine Ave. Meijer:

I went there to do some quick shopping today only to see that the In-Store medical clinic is gone, leaving behind a vacant space. I asked one of the cashiers what happened. She told me that the company that ran the clinics folded. So this mens that all other Meijer stores hosting medical clinics are no longer doing so. This may not be much concern to folks with health insurance. But those without it or between jobs these clinics sure came in handy.

It must have been very recent like this week. I was there last week and it was still there. That's sad news definately.

The one at the store in Hampton Township outside of Bay City started to get built then construction suddenly stopped and nothing new has happened with it for a couple of months. I wonder if it was to be controlled by the same company?

More than likely, yes. I believe all or atleast most of the clinics in Meijer stores are own by the now defunct firm.

Meijer to close a store in the Dayton, OH area.

Article

The article makes this sound like doom and gloom. But this is actually one of three Ohio stores being replaced by new stores that will open elsewhere in their respective market areas. Still its a bit strange for Meijer to replace a store built in '91 considering that the company has successfully renovated or done same-site replacements of stores much older than the doomed Dayton store.