Meijer

Anyone been over to the plainfield meijer lately?? Would like to know if things are different from like a week ago and if the grocery section is starting to empty out??

Even tough the general merchandise is clearing out slowly, grocery should stay stocked until the move. What surprised me (from someone I know who works there) is that the new store won't be open until April...and that's sooner than planned by a week. It's already hard to shop there when they're out of some important general things...it's been pretty quiet when I shopped there.

Even tough the general merchandise is clearing out slowly, grocery should stay stocked until the move. What surprised me (from someone I know who works there) is that the new store won't be open until April...and that's sooner than planned by a week. It's already hard to shop there when they're out of some important general things...it's been pretty quiet when I shopped there.

Are they still doing huge sales overthere?

Anyone been over to the plainfield meijer lately?? Would like to know if things are different from like a week ago and if the grocery section is starting to empty out??

I've got my camera's back! :yahoo: Also I'll be in the area working with a client on Friday. I'll see if I can head to the Plainfeild store for a quick photo shoot when I'm down there.

Meijer's statement today admitting guilt in Acme is interesting timing...hoping it would get buried in the news on Super Tuesday perhaps. Wonder if that admission opens them up to any additional civil cases from other Acme commissioners or residents. Sounds like the attorney in Traverse City is determined to push this further in any event.

Here a link to an Mlive article with a full explanation of Meijer's admittance to wrong doing in Acme.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/...st=newsmichigan

For what I can gather the internal investigations revealed that Meijer made the contributions directly instead of through its Political action committee which would indeed put Meijer's actions in violation of the law. Meijer also said that it will cooperate with any investigations from the Secretary of State and accept any resultant penalties stemming from the violation. At least Meijer admitted that it was in the wrong in the Acme saga. But I don't think its going to be kiss and make up yet. The Grand Traverse Prosecutor has requested State Police to look into the matter. Meanwhile the ACME township attorney questions the ability of the Secretary of State to investigate Meijer objectionably since Meijer provide allot of funds towards the Secretary of State's election.

..and so the Acme/Meijer soap opera continues. Stay tuned.

What is interesting/new today is that they are admitting to violations back several years ago as well during the local referendum on big box development, which hadn't even been part of the story before. Wonder if this will impact the permiting process and current lawsuits over in Lyon township.

Meijer will most likely find it much harder to get new stores built at least here in Michigan. Local planners will likely be scrutinizing Meijer with a fine tooth comb and thus make getting the go ahead to build a new store very difficult. In addition I can see local community groups lashing out allot more aggressively against Meijer's attempt to open new stores than before. Worst case scenario would be Meijer finding the building of new stores in Michigan so difficult due to increased scrutiny and resistance fueled by the Amce saga that it shift most of its growth out of state until the Acme sage is forgotten about.

Meijer, Acme Township drop lawsuits

Here's a link from the GR Press. Appears that almost the opposite of what Tamias said earlier is happening. Both sides appear to show a willingness to move forward to get a deal done.

Wow! That is a big shocker. I figured all heck would brake loose when Meijer admitted it was in the wrong. Anyway I'm glad all the court cases were dropped. The question now is will Meijer go ahead and build the Acme store or wait until things cool down for a while or two? If Meijer does decide to build in Acme, I think it would be wise to start over from square one and do everything Acme wants even if a special store prototype just for Acme has to be designed. I also hope that Meijer does a bit of rethinking on how it approaches communities with proposed stores. One thing Meijer could do is what Wal-Mart has done when it comes to the exterior appearance of proposed stores. That is drop the standard exterior design in favor of hiring local architects to design the store exterior that is fitting with local communities in which new stores are proposed.

More grocery stores, retailers push reusable bags

I know I bought a bunch of these. I just didn't imagine they'd sell 100,000. That is pretty cool and its good to see D&W join the ranks.

I wonder what the cost savings on having people use those bags vs plastic/paper really is?

I had been looking for those reusable bags lately but my local Family Fare doesn't seem to sell them. So on Sunday I found one in Target (only one) and I bought it along with a couple other items. What does the cashier do but fold up the bag and put it in a plastic bag with my other items. I wanted more than one of those bags so I went over to the new Plumbs on 4 Mile and bought two more there. That cashier also folded them up and put them in a plastic bag. I

guess it will take awhile to catch on with everyone.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...METRO/802120385

Front page of the Detroit News today...nothing really new, but the exposure is bad timing for a lot of reasons.

This, plus the new stories in the Press about the investigations makes it hard to predict what the future really is for a store in Acme. The investigation alone is starting to feel like death by a thousand cuts.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...METRO/802120385

Front page of the Detroit News today...nothing really new, but the exposure is bad timing for a lot of reasons.

This, plus the new stories in the Press about the investigations makes it hard to predict what the future really is for a store in Acme. The investigation alone is starting to feel like death by a thousand cuts.

Nothing like being right on top of breaking news. The Old Grey Lady Down the Street (that's the Freep's pet name for the Snooze) is several days behind...

Maybe all the papers sold from the yellow boxes recently (see the Detroit forums) have the red box suppliers attempting to catch up.

Nothing like being right on top of breaking news. The Old Grey Lady Down the Street (that's the Freep's pet name for the Snooze) is several days behind...

Maybe all the papers sold from the yellow boxes recently (see the Detroit forums) have the red box suppliers attempting to catch up.

The only paper that has been on top of the story has been the Traverse City Record Eagle. Admittedly it is a more local story with them and they may rightly so take it personally since the bogus letters appeared in their paper. But if you compare their articles to the other papers, they are the only ones that are pursuing with any vigor the answers to the standard journalistic questions: who, what, where, and when. The other papers, and one in particular, have a habit of leading with the Meijer's rebuttal statement and thus letting Meijer spin the story. Last week a Press reader would have got the impression that this just involved some technical clerical mistake of Meijer not funding their campaign through a PAC rather than directly through a PR outfit.

Attached is an editorial from the Record Eagle rather than a news story but it lays out pretty well in my opinion what the issues are:

http://www.record-eagle.com/opinion/local_...eyword=topstory

(Maybe this belongs in the what's wrong with the local media thread)

[EDIT - just to be fair - the story on the internet right now on mlive.com by Shandra Martinez doesn't have the defect I mentioned above and in fact is pretty good. It's not the finished product so we'll see what it ends up looking like in the paper.]

Edited by walker

Agree that the Press hasn't been great, but they have still been miles ahead of TV8, which has barely touched it at all. Makes me wonder if it's too complicated for those folks, or if Meijer ad money talks.

Or could it be the "Dan Spaulding connection" -- former TV8 news director & current prinicpal at Seyferth, Spaulding & Tennyson?

Let's not drive into conspiracy theories just yet unless criminal court cases start happening. But anyway, I think its pretty clear that Meijer is in the wrong in this Acme soap opera because of a catastrophic corruption in Meijer's process of proposing and building new stores. If authorities confirms that Meijer broke the law, this is what I think should be the appropriate actions.

1. Meijer should pay the 10,000 dollar penalty for the violation. That's chump change, I know. But that's what the law states.

2. Those victimized by the violation should focus legal action directly upon individuals within Meijer, inc involved in the violation. Be it some low level secretary or Hank Meijer himself, the individuals need to feel the direct brunt of any reprisals stemming from the violations. Punishing the company as a whole will only hurt the company, not the offending individuals.

3. Meijer should be compelled to fire the offending individuals that caused the violations and then sue them for damage to the company's reputation and for damages incurred by penalties resultant from the violation.

4. There have been other instances of Meijer, inc not getting along with communities when proposing new stores. Thus, Meijer should be compelled into ceasing any and all efforts to build new stores until the company formulates better polities of proposing and building new stores that are less abrasive to communities and more importantly includes a guaranteed fail safe that prevents another Acme saga from happening again.

5. Meijer itself without the aid of any public relations firm should make a consorted effort to patch things up with Acme even if it means not building there at all. At this point the involvement of public relations firm in anyway shape or form will undermined any sincerity of Meijer's efforts to reconcile with Acme.

6. The State of Michigan should revise the penalty for political contribution violations by making the the penalty scalable to the size and wealth of offending entities. For example if the company is small, stick with the 10,000 fine. But for companies the size of Meijer that fine would be in the millions of dollars category. In short any kind penalty should be uncomfortable at the very least. The current 10,000 dollar fine is clearly not esp. for companies the size of Meijer. The State of Michigan needs to send a load and clear message to big companies and big developers that tampering with the political process just to get a new development built is inexcusable and intolerable.

Business trip to TC today, and my route took me past the Acme site. No signs about COMING SOON, but there were a lot of AVAILABLE or FOR SALE OR LEASE signs on most road-fronting parcels at the subject location.

And then I drove past the existing TC store. WOW! That place is freakin' HUGE! The front elevation appears to be twice as long as your typical M@C or M@KC. (Too tired, did not stop.)

Business trip to TC today, and my route took me past the Acme site. No signs about COMING SOON, but there were a lot of AVAILABLE or FOR SALE OR LEASE signs on most road-fronting parcels at the subject location.

And then I drove past the existing TC store. WOW! That place is freakin' HUGE! The front elevation appears to be twice as long as your typical M@C or M@KC. (Too tired, did not stop.)

Maybe Meijer decided to cut its losses by dropping the proposed Acme store. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Meijer decided not to build another store in the greater Traverse City area for the foreseeable future as it might be too afraid to open up another can of worms there. It this point Meijer's best move beside patching things up with Acme is to make due with what they got. That is renovating the existing Traverse City store to the current format.