Meijer

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2008/...ea082278072.txt

Link to the Proposed Meijer Package:

http://www.petoskeynews.net/images/editorial/MeijerPlan.pdf

In my opinion, the complaints and concerns are getting stupid at this point... It seems the major issue seems to be a strech of chain link fence between the store and the residents to the east. Talk about a stupid reason to push the 'approval' out to the next months meeting.

It's not uncommon to take a month (or longer) to review the site plan and proposal of a major project such as this. Twp commissioners typically have day jobs; they might need extra time to visit the site, plans in hand, to see what's being proposed for where. And with a major development, local government might want to allow feed-back from residents. One more month won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, and Meijer still has to go through county approval.

The article states that an extended chain link fence was requested, as a trash-blowing impediment, and that was suggested by residents. Also mentioned are additional landscaping and a truck route through the site.

Going by the article alone, I don't see this as Acme Twp - The Sequel.

This is definitely not anywhere near the spectacle that Acme Twp was/is. There is no doubt in my mind that Meijer will be building here... its all just a matter of time. My frustration is that I don't see a need to meet AGAIN. This is the fourth or fifth time Meijer has been before the Beer Creek Township tweaking one thing here, another thing there. For the fence issue, why can't they just take the suggestions/comments, say they will implement them and finally get before the county?

A few PUDs I worked on thats exactly what happened. After the first look over, we had to make some changes and come back. After the second time, the word of the developer was good enough to move to the next level

Edited by jbr12

This is definitely not anywhere near the spectacle that Acme Twp was/is. There is no doubt in my mind that Meijer will be building here... its all just a matter of time. My frustration is that I don't see a need to meet AGAIN. This is the fourth or fifth time Meijer has been before the Beer Creek Township tweaking one thing here, another thing there. For the fence issue, why can't they just take the suggestions/comments, say they will implement them and finally get before the county?

A few PUDs I worked on thats exactly what happened. After the first look over, we had to make some changes and come back. After the second time, the word of the developer was good enough to move to the next level

Because BC Twp is unfamiliar with Big Huge development site plan review? (Send them some information on the conditional use process, can't hurt.)

If I were (still) a Twp governmental official, I would not trust an applicant's stated word on compliance.

It's not uncommon to take a month (or longer) to review the site plan and proposal of a major project such as this. Twp commissioners typically have day jobs; they might need extra time to visit the site, plans in hand, to see what's being proposed for where. And with a major development, local government might want to allow feed-back from residents. One more month won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, and Meijer still has to go through county approval.

The article states that an extended chain link fence was requested, as a trash-blowing impediment, and that was suggested by residents. Also mentioned are additional landscaping and a truck route through the site.

Going by the article alone, I don't see this as Acme Twp - The Sequel.

The fence bit seams to be a minor issue I'm sure Meijer will take care of. When Meijer renovated the Alpine Ave. store, they included a new sidewalk along Hill Dr. to provide walking access for the neighborhood behind the store and a new privacy fence to buffer the homes to the south of the store and impede fleeing shop lifters from escaping though yards. I looked at the site plans of the proposed Bear Creek store and it looks to me like Meijer would need to install maybe 300 ft of chain link fence along the residential properties in front of the store site. What's two thousand dollars worth of fence compared to 16 to 25 million dollars it costs to build a new Meijer store? In short, don't worry, the local Wally-World up there will soon be sweating as the yellow smiley face hears the clickity-clack from the wooden shoes of Thrifty the Dutch Boy coming to town along with some much needed competition.

They used to be higher up on that list (#9 at one time I believe), but that's in part due to a number of formerly public companies (Chrysler for example) going private in recent time.

There were a lot of Hedge fund companies on the list-- GMAC, Chrysler and Toys R Us. I think the USPS being listed as a "Private Company" is a bit misleader as well. I do think GFS was also on the liste several years ago as well.

Interesting release re: Meijer settlement w/State:

PRSA/BEPS Statement on Meijer Case

Involving Michigan Campaign Finance Act

NEW YORK (May 16, 2008) – The Public Relations Society of America’s Board of Ethics and Professional Standards is continuing to review the facts surrounding the Meijer/Acme Township Conciliation Agreement with the Michigan Secretary of State and the role public relations professionals may have played in the events and actions leading up to this agreement.

While the PRSA Board of Ethics and Professional Standards (BEPS) has no authority to issue sanctions or penalties against a member of the Society, it is important to draw members’ attention to real-world situations that can be used as ethical learning experiences. The facts, stated in the Meijer Conciliation Agreement and the local media, indicate that some professional actions were clearly contrary to the spirit of the PRSA Code of Ethics’ professed values of transparency, openness and honesty. It would appear that the intent was not to educate the public to help make an informed decision but rather influence the voters in an undisclosed and unethical fashion.

As “ethical practice is the most important obligation of a PRSA member,” we should affirm that the best course of action for an ethical practitioner is to counsel against activities such as undisclosed front groups and remind clients that honesty and transparency are fundamental to ethical business practices. BEPS has affirmed this counsel to members in its Practice Standards Advisories PSA #3 and PSA #7.

Currently, there have been no findings of criminal or civil wrongdoing by anyone involved in the Meijer case. PRSA members understand however that “those who have been or are sanctioned by a government agency or convicted in a court of law of an action that is in opposition to the PRSA Code of Ethics may be barred from membership or expelled from the Society.” (PRSA Code of Ethics Member Pledge)

I don't know how much clout this organization holds. But it sounds like losing one's spot in it would be a serious blow to one's PR image.

Edited by tamias6

I was looking at the Meijer Realty website today and I found something interesting. They are selling outlots for what looks to be a convenience store\Wendy's combination off of I-96 on East Grand River. I thought that they were not building these anymore. Link.

Edited by Rybak 187

I was looking at the Meijer Realty website today and I found something interesting. They are selling outlots for what looks to be a convenience store\Wendy's combination off of I-96 on East Grand River. I thought that they were not building these anymore. Link.

Meijer bought this land a few years ago with the intention of building a C-Stop / Wendy’s. They got approval from Portland to connect to water & sewer (it was outside the city at the time, though I think its now been annexed). Then Meijer decided to stop building C-Stops, but Wendy’s still wanted a restaurant there so they bought a portion of the land from Meijer and built a full stand-alone Wendy’s on the northern end of the site leaving the street corner of the land for a possible future gas station.

Looks like Meijer doesn’t have anymore interest in having a gas station there so it’s up for sale.

Edited by Gorath

I was at the Clyde Park Ave/54th St Meijer yesterday and there is some sort of renovation in progress. So far the cafe is closed until it opens in its "new location" in July, the bakery appears to be closed, and bread has been moved to a temporary location near the back of the store. I wonder how extensive (or lack thereof) this renovation will be?

Three days ago. The entire furniture dept. at the Standale Meijer was cleared out. The display fixtures and Aisles are still there. But they lay empty.

They'll probably be assembling the new line of furniture soon. They have an outside merchandiser (like seemingly 1/4 of the store) that they pay to come in and assemble the sample furniture. I once worked at a couple of different Meijer stores assembling furniture through Express Personnel, a staffing agency. Can't remember the name of the merchandising company, but I know they deal with other displays, like batteries and hardware throughout the stores as well.

Its too bad they stopped the C-stop concept. I always stopped at those for my gas purchases. I'd assume they'd be a profitable add-on business for them.

Meijer dropped its other ventures including the C-stop to focus all of its energies in running its chain of supercenters to be more competitive against Wal-Mart, Target, Etc. Meijer has improved its stores immensely since as a result of its decision which I think is a good trade off.

Looks like the PR firm that worked with Meijer during the Acme Twp. saga is in some hot water.

LInk to Mlive Article

Ginny Seyferth, the founder of Seyferth Spaulding Tennyson, said she wasn't aware of the statement or the organization's ongoing review. ...

Anyone else seeing a pattern here? Changed her cell phone number, employee didn't have it; she didn't know this, she didn't know that.

Gives a whole new meaning to KIAS.

Perhaps it was Meijer's PR firm that screwed up. So they are trying to distance themselves from the Acme saga leaving Meijer to take all the blame.

In other Meijer news. Last week I posted that the Standale store's furniture dept. was empty. I got a reply that it may be for making room for new stock. Well that's not the case. The Standale Store's furniture dept.. is history. All the shelving is gone as well as the department's graphics. Even the niche along the back wall were kids mattresses and bunk beds were displayed has been walled over. Come to find out, the Standale store is going to serve as a test pilot store for a greatly enlarged Pet dept.. which will have allot more to offer than the standard Meijer store. I hope Meijer includes Science Diet for my cat. It would save me a trip all the way to Grandville to get it.