Meijer

Okay, so here is what it looks like Meijer is doing in 2009 and 2010 so far.

2009 NEW STORES

Delaware, OH Article

Marion, IN Article

Hartland, MI Article

Cedar Springs, MI Article

Gaylord, MI Article

2010 NEW STORES

Anson, IN Article PDF

Plainfield, IN Mentioned above.

Romeoville, IL Article

Richmond, KY Article

Homer Glen, IL Article

Jamestown Township, MI Article

Swartz Creek, MI Article

Petoskey, MI Already talked about in this topic

Well it looks like the Homer Glen, IL store is moving to 2011 from 2010. Article

Here is another possible store for 2011 in Lyon Township, MI. Article

Edited by Rybak 187

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have been over in Muskegon lately, has anyone been over to the Meijer store at Norton and Henry Streets? If so, I would like to know what's going on with that current store. If you also have pictures, please feel free to post them too.

I wanted to keep tabs on that store from time to time. But high gas prices and a crappy economy having an effect on my houshold has greatly restricted my travels to pretty much bare essentials. <_<

For those who have been over in Muskegon lately, has anyone been over to the Meijer store at Norton and Henry Streets? If so, I would like to know what's going on with that current store. If you also have pictures, please feel free to post them too.

I was past there two weeks ago after going to Muskegon for a funeral (sorry no photo's). The store looks pretty much like Alpine but the new entrance faces west. It was all fenced off on the west side and looked pretty much complete on the exterior. It looked like business as usual through the existing entrance which faces south.

Meijer and the State of Michigan are working together to create Carpool Lots at Meijer @ Cascade and the Lowel Meijer store as well as several other Meijer locations in the SE Michigan.

WZZM article

IMO I think this is a good idea. Meijer all ready has maintained parking lots thus the state would not have to spend a dime in maintaining car pool parking lot. It will put to use excessive packing capacity. And Lastly it would help encourage the practice of carpooling.

Meijer and the State of Michigan are working together to create Carpool Lots at Meijer @ Cascade and the Lowel Meijer store as well as several other Meijer locations in the SE Michigan.

WZZM article

IMO I think this is a good idea. Meijer all ready has maintained parking lots thus the state would not have to spend a dime in maintaining car pool parking lot. It will put to use excessive packing capacity. And Lastly it would help encourage the practice of carpooling.

I agree, this is a great idea. Meijer gets a little bit of additional business from commuters and some free publicity, and the State saves money by not building new parking lots. And as mentioned many times on this site, the last thing we need is more underutilized parking lots.

Link to MDOT Press Release:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-...01177--,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the Norton Shores Meijer renovation currently underway. Just a recap. The Northern Shores store, located on Henry Street just of the south side of Muskegon, is receiving one of the most extreme renovations ever attempted by Meijer. The store front is to be moved to the west face of the building allowing the store to directly face a Walmart supercenter across the street while the interior gets a complete overhaul to a more current prototype. In doing the renovation 40 percent of the building is to be demolished.

Currently the western most 80 feet of the building as been taken down to make way for the new store front, which is nearly completion. The old south facing store front still stands and remain operational. However it along with the southern most 80 feet of the building will be taken down to make way for the new outdoor garden center.

Inside, the Grocery section is complete and fully stocked while new checkout lanes have been installed and are awaiting for the new store front to open and operations to be moved from the old lanes. However the stores retail section is still in complete chaos.

When all is said an done with the Norton Shores store will look like a mirrored image of the new Plainfeild Ave. Meijer.

Here's some pics of the renovation.

The old store front

2973011274_1a5f8ca075_o.jpg

The new store front facing Henry St.

2972161227_e73a899055_o.jpg

The refrigeration plant and loading docks

2973007638_4ed44428d2_o.jpg

The Grocery Entrance

2972157321_ea85d21d61_o.jpg

The Retail Entrnace nearing completion.

2972155307_8249b1457a_o.jpg

The rear of the old store front and a gaping hole covered in plastic.

2972153677_2d829fb695_o.jpg

All in all, this renovation is shaping up quite nicely. The Norton Shores Meijer will be a brand new store with things are wrapped up.

Edited by tamias6

From looking at those pictures, it looks like the new front part of the store and the old exhisting store to the right of it don't seem to be attached together. So looking at the new store front, the new grocery section is on the left side of the store? If so, looking at the exhisting south area of the store in the first pic, does one have to walk a long ways back to the new grocery section? The doors on the new entrances look like the ones of the new plainfield store and not the slider doors that Alpine has. I thought every store that was remodeled or built would have those new slider doors.

^ Yep. Its quite a hike from the old entrances to the new grocery section. Also since the rear action alley of the new layout is blocked by the old pharmacy and construction going on around the new checkout lanes people are being funneled down one of the new layout's narrower raceways between the clothing dept. and home solutions dept. which makes things a bit congested.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be suprise to see the absence of Sandy the Penny Horse the next time you shop at Meijer. The mechanical horse ride found in all Meijer stores will be going on an 8 week hiatus. Meijer cites maintenance issues with existing penny rides and wants to replace them all with new horses. When all is said and done with Sandy the Penny Horse will still cost a penny to ride.

Mlive Article

Don't be suprise to see the absence of Sandy the Penny Horse the next time you shop at Meijer. The mechanical horse ride found in all Meijer stores will be going on an 8 week hiatus. Meijer cites maintenance issues with existing penny rides and wants to replace them all with new horses. When all is said and done with Sandy the Penny Horse will still cost a penny to ride.

Mlive Article

Sandy has been back in GR (at least at Knapp's and Plainfield) for a couple weeks now. All new and shiny...I noticed the departure right away and asked about it. She was missed.

(yes, I have a three year old - THAT'S why I missed Sandy so much! When I'd run out of pennies he would ask complete strangers for money (and always got it!))

• 2 weeks later...

Spent turkey day in Traverse City and learned an interesting tidbit. You'll remember that during the whole Meijer-Acme Twp drama, the local paper (Traverse City Record-Eagle) was uniformly anti-Meijer in their coverage. Meijer has since completely stopped advertising in the Record-Eagle. Now their weekly ad inserts come stuffed in one of those junk ad bundles that end up in your paper box once a week (the ones with all the coupons for carpet cleaning, satellite dishes and checks). What a big "screw you" to the newspaper (I like their spunk).

Spent turkey day in Traverse City and learned an interesting tidbit. You'll remember that during the whole Meijer-Acme Twp drama, the local paper (Traverse City Record-Eagle) was uniformly anti-Meijer in their coverage. Meijer has since completely stopped advertising in the Record-Eagle. Now their weekly ad inserts come stuffed in one of those junk ad bundles that end up in your paper box once a week (the ones with all the coupons for carpet cleaning, satellite dishes and checks). What a big "screw you" to the newspaper (I like their spunk).

Can't blame meijer for pulling their ads from the Record Eagle. Sure Meijer may have made a blunder in its dealings with Acme and I';m sure Meijer will be learning from that error. But that newspaper was way too one sided for my tastes.

I hope that Acme/Meijer can come together on this and finally get the store built. Its an excellent location for a Meijer. I would have to imagine that Meijer in the Traverse City market would be one of the paper's larger advertisers; especially in this poor market.

Okay, so here is what it looks like Meijer is doing in 2009 and 2010 so far.

2009 NEW STORES

Delaware, OH Article

Marion, IN Article

Hartland, MI Article

Cedar Springs, MI Article

Gaylord, MI Article

2010 NEW STORES

Anson, IN Article PDF

Plainfield, IN Mentioned above.

Romeoville, IL Article

Richmond, KY Article

Homer Glen, IL Article

Jamestown Township, MI Article

Swartz Creek, MI Article

Petoskey, MI Already talked about in this topic

I still don't get why cedar springs is getting a store...although I guess I would be annoyed to have to hop on 131 just to get groceries...most people i know from cedar springs usually hike out to the greenville store...

so maybe that is a good thing - the greenville store is so damn busy sometimes (especially on the weekends, m57 looks like alpine sometimes) it drives me absolutely crazy

• 4 weeks later...

Can't blame meijer for pulling their ads from the Record Eagle. Sure Meijer may have made a blunder in its dealings with Acme and I';m sure Meijer will be learning from that error. But that newspaper was way too one sided for my tastes.

I'm not sure what Meijer might have learned but it looks like the Record Eagle has not learned anything about rolling over to big buck advertisers:

http://www.record-eagle.com/local/local_story_353095217.html

The Walker in the article is probably not related to this walker.

I'm not sure what Meijer might have learned but it looks like the Record Eagle has not learned anything about rolling over to big buck advertisers:

http://www.record-eagle.com/local/local_story_353095217.html

The Walker in the article is probably not related to this walker.

Kind of sad, if you think about it. Seems to me the community is not well served by what amounts to the journalistic equivalent of a crazy uncle in the basement railing on in a singular note about slights and injustices, real or perceived, warranted or not.

I question if the Record Eagles' monotonously taking Meijer to task really reflects the attitude of Traverse City citizens and businesses? If so, I wish them well in thier insularity. I know I have no interest in being anywhere near a place with that mindset.

Kind of sad, if you think about it. Seems to me the community is not well served by what amounts to the journalistic equivalent of a crazy uncle in the basement railing on in a singular note about slights and injustices, real or perceived, warranted or not.

I question if the Record Eagles' monotonously taking Meijer to task really reflects the attitude of Traverse City citizens and businesses? If so, I wish them well in thier insularity. I know I have no interest in being anywhere near a place with that mindset.

You don't think a tax break targeted at a specific company is something that should be examined and published about? Everyone should turn a blind eye? Now, I know that the political contributions to all sides are the way our broken system works and don't necessarily make a company evil, but I don't think turning ignoring the problems is the solution either.

I also don't know if this news story tells the whole story, and maybe that's your point. But, I don't think see why the Record Eagle would not cover something like this, especially in light of the other shady events that took place in Traverse City on Meijer's behalf.

Edit: "Also, since when was it a rule that a newspaper must bow down to the interests of a specific company? Or even represent the public interest? Different people and organizations obviously have different ideas of what is in the public interest.

I think that Meijer is going to have to work to erase the sour feelings from what happened with the planning commission debacle."

Edited by fotoman311

Needed something, had to stop by a Wally World (Wal-mart) for it. (Yeah, I know.) Interestingly, the W-M holiday aisles look to be fully stocked. A full selection of lights, cards, wreaths, stockings, and decorations. Signage indicates that it's all 50% off, and that was during the last couple days of December. The party is over; time to move that product instead of maintaining three to five full aisles of it. One item did not work for me, so I stopped by a different W-M to return it. Same situation in the holiday department.

In contrast, Fred's holiday departments have shrunk dramatically. The merch is 70% (or more) off, and it is moving.

Did Sam not get the memo about inventory turns?

• 3 months later...

I see that two new stores opened yesterday: Marion, IN and Gaylord, MI. I like that they are expanding their footprint out of state but I'd be even happier if I heard some store openings for Wisconsion or Minnesota.

I think that would have happen sooner if the economy hadn't tanked. Still I think its just a matter of time now. Esp. since Meijer has a Distro in the greater chicago area. My personal thoughts on this is that Meijer is going to concentrate its energy to make a push into more densly urbanized areas of the Chicago area to in response to target and Walmart's predicted drive closer to the urban core. Once Meijer feels satisfied with the Chicago area, it may then make the push north into Wisconsin.