Meijer

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Acme Twp. Saga had finally been put to rest. But I guess not.

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=380640

Michigan Court of Appeals rules that the Grand Traverse Co. Prosecutor can pursue criminal investigations against Meijer for the violations of campaign laws.

Edited by tamias6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was up in Petoskey over the Holidays I saw the window power on the roof up there too. I would be very interested to see what kind of power those thing generate and how much that cuts out of the energy bill for a big box like Meijer

That wind power is cool. I wonder if you could use a combination of wind and solar to offset a large portion of energy costs?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

According to this Business Review post a couple days ago, they're looking hard at Indianapolis.

I gotta think additional stores in Chicago, and if successful, Indy, Columbus, and maybe Milwaukee would be next.

I'd sure love to see GR on the list, but I think a city like Minneapolis (even though its out of Meijer's footprint) would see urban stores first.

• 3 weeks later...

having lived in MPLS I think it would be a tough market for Meijer to break into being Target-town. Tho never say never. As I look around GR Meijer pretty much as all thier bases covered. Few spots for them to slide into. One that stands out pretty big to me, is on the old Studio lot in Wyoming. People who live in that area have to travel pretty far for the convienences of Meijer.

Typical MLive poster comment: the article reads "sheep heads."

In a Meijer store in Columbus, Ohio, the meat department carries sheep heads for the area's Somalian immigrant population, Meijer said.

It did say goat heads last night. They edited the article.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I know this topic is a little old but I wanted to mention something about the 54th/Clyde Park Meijer. Anybody else ever notice the strange fire alarms they have there? They have six of those big red strobes mounted on the ceiling throughout the store. One at the emergency exit in HBC, one at the emergency exit in media, one above the employees-only swinging doors in sporting goods, one above another employees-only swinging door near hardware, one in frozen foods, and one in the main grocery aisle that runs past where the old bottle return used to be. I was at the store on Saturday Apr. 17 and the alarm in HBC was going off. I thought that was cool because I haven't seen one of those alarms go off since I was about four or five years old back around 1990 and it terrifed me. They make a freaky "wah, wow, wah, wow" sound. I believe the one in frozen foods is just the strobe with no sounder. You can see it's mounted differently with the sounder removed. They also have an amber colored strobe up near guest service. Anyone have any idea what that one is for? It seems like when I was a little girl, THAT one would go off all the time. I seem to remember it always going off for a few seconds before they made a page over the loud speaker. I could be wrong though. I wonder if it's used for anything nowadays. Anyone have any information on these strobe/sounder alarms?

You're lucky it never went off when you were a little kid, you might have had bad dreams about it like I did, haha. I was riding in the cart with my grandma in the automotive section when someone went out the emergency door and it went off almost over my head. Not good for a four or five year old kid that's already afraid of her own shadow! laugh.gif After that my big brother used to freak me out by pretending that he was going to go charging through the emergency exit and I'd hold my ears and yell at him not too. I imagine it must not be all that rare of an occurence for one to go off, seeing as when I went there last month it was the first time in at least a year that I'd been there and the one in HBC was going off. And I heard an employee say "someone set the fire alarm off again."

So you say you remember silent flashers? Was that the amber colored strobe in front of guest service? I could swear that's what it used to be used for, but from what I remember, it definetely was not silent. The odd thing is that it's the same exact strobe as the red ones around the store, but I recall this one having a different sound like "woowoowoowoo", quite different from the red alarms. It would last for a few seconds and then they'd made a page over the loud speaker. But maybe my memory of that is off. I'd like to learn anything anybody knows about these strobes if anyone happens to know or remember anything. Obviously the two red strobes above the emergency exits are fire alarms, but I'm curious as to the purpose of some of the seemingly randomly placed ones.

Edited by Despina83

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Its been ages since I last posted here on UP. So I figured I'd jump back on board by posting on one of my favorite topics here. Anyway the Rivertown Crossings Meijer store in Grandville looks like its receiving its first major renovation. Its part of a $75 million dollar remodel project Meijer is doing to 8 stores here in Michigan along with 2 in Ohio. Link to WOOD TV 8 article At the Rivertown store thus far, the garden center located on the west side of the store has been nudged about 40 or so feet further towards the back of the store and has received a new canopy. The relocation of the garden center makes way for a new driveway which wil lead up to a new pharmacy drive-thru window. This means that the Pharmacy will be moved from its current area next the produce dept. to the area where photos and video games are currently situated. The relocation of the pharmacy will make room for an expanded grocery section (which is much needed in my opinion) and the relocation of bottle returns to the front of the store next to the grocery entrance. I hope Meijer opts for the interior decor of the new 28th street and K'zoo Ave. store or the Meijer @ Cascade store. We will see what happens.