Meijer

Meijer finally officially secured the land in Jamestown Township last week. They are putting up yet another new style of store on the site. I only have huge renderings of it and I don't think I can shrink them to scan onto here.

The store is going to be 2 shades of brown (lighter & darker), with the same type of glass entry-ways, except the glass is going to be a dark tint versus the blueish tint of the other new stores. The most noticable difference is the alternating heights of different sections of the facade. It goes in a higher-lower alternating pattern all the way across the front. I am also happy that it doesn't have the Meijer sign positioned so that the 2 dots of the "i" and the "j" stick above the roofline of the building....that's so strange looking.

They expect to break ground soon and have it done within a year. Rumor is they're having some trouble with the State DEQ.

Meijer paid $208,000 per acre for their land in Jamestown. They bought all 11 available lots in the Jamestown Commerce Center at 32nd Ave. & Quincy, just south of I-196.

• 1 month later...

It is sad though that everytime I shop there (which I do a lot since I live in Alger Heights) I get the feeling that the folks at the corporate HQ seems to have washed their hands of it... The average wait for checkout is 20 minutes (no joke!) because they only staff like three cashiers at the entire store. I once asked the employee at checkout what was going on and she explained that the union only allows a certain amount of hours total so those employees' hours are saved for the more, how shall we say, homogenous Meijer Stores.

It really makes me sad...

Edited by solace

Do you work for Meijer Solace?

I understood that Meijer built their stores with cash. Were the newer stores built with borrowed money?

I did for quite some time. I'm not exactly sure how they used to build them, but I"m pretty sure now that they borrow money, because of one store that I worked at the store director would always joke about how, after many extrensive remodels, we were always in the red. I know the mortgage at Kzoo is paid for though, so that's how it actually makes money...not much, but it really does!

I did for quite some time. I'm not exactly sure how they used to build them, but I"m pretty sure now that they borrow money, because of one store that I worked at the store director would always joke about how, after many extrensive remodels, we were always in the red. I know the mortgage at Kzoo is paid for though, so that's how it actually makes money...not much, but it really does!

A respectable store director would never discuss this with floor employees. So very unprofessional and seems to lower's morale quite quickly.

Speaking of, Eaton county Meijers now fall under the Grand Rapids district.

Edited by Rizzo

Ok, I mean any employee. (No dis) IMO talk like that can lead to some compromising situations. I would be careful about telling your expeirences with Meijer on live TV even if you're not currently employed by Meijer.

I remember signing a waiver of rights on speaking about company policy and situations. :dontknow: Punishment of death by electrocution. :lol:

Edited by Rizzo

Cascade Meijer? :P

It is sad though that everytime I shop there (which I do a lot since I live in Alger Heights) I get the feeling that the folks at the corporate HQ seems to have washed their hands of it... The average wait for checkout is 20 minutes (no joke!) because they only staff like three cashiers at the entire store. I once asked the employee at checkout what was going on and she explained that the union only allows a certain amount of hours total so those employees' hours are saved for the more, how shall we say, homogenous Meijer Stores.

Speaking of long waits at the checkouts. Never! I repeat. Never ask for all of your purchases to be bagged in paper bags. Today I had to wait for about fifteen minutes because the lady ahead of me with about 300 dollars of groceries and mechandise cramped in her cart insisted that everything she bought be put into paper bags. Unable to take advantage of the speed of using the rotating bag carasel, the cashier slowed to a crawl. Then to aggravate the situation the lady wrote a check but forgot her ID. After spending another five minutes fumbling in her purse for her ID she realized she left it in her car. Fortunately, the cashier quickly got me out the door while paper bag lady was getting her ID. But that's a total of twenty minutes time spent at the checkout lane because of her insistance on paper bags.

So from here on, sombody ahead of me in a Meijer store cleckout lane who insists on paper bags will be hit up side the head with a bannana.

Edited by tamias6

Speaking of long waits at the checkouts. Never! I repeat. Never ask for all of your purchases to be bagged in paper bags. Today I had to wait for about fifteen minutes because the lady ahead of me with about 300 dollars of groceries and mechandise cramped in her cart insisted that everything she bought be put into paper bags. Unable to take advantage of the speed of using the rotating bag carasel, the cashier slowed to a crawl. Then to aggravate the situation the lady wrote a check but forgot her ID. After spending another five minutes fumbling in her purse for her ID she realized she left it in her car. Fortunately, the cashier quickly got me out the door while paper bag lady was getting her ID. But that's a total of twenty minutes time spent at the checkout lane because of her insistance on paper bags.

So from here on, sombody ahead of me in a Meijer store cleckout lane who insists on paper bags will be hit up side the head with a bannana.

U-Scan is your friend (except at Cascade where the "new & improved" machines have slowed things down...and the stoooopid voice keeps saying "use pinpad to complete transaction over and over and over...).

U scan in your friend except when you get stuck behind older person that does not know how to use it or the person that is buying more than 12 items. What is so magical about 12? Why not 10 or 15?

you can buy 50 items as long as it ALL fits on the scale. Now I don't recommend doing that unless you really want the people behind you to get very angry :shok:

I know better than to say TOO much or to give out numbers/names/forbidden info. I still have siblings that work there and I would never put their jobs in jeopardy. But it's nice to have the duct tape removed from my mouth and being able to FINALLY speak freely!!!! :yahoo:

U scan in your friend except when you get stuck behind older person that does not know how to use it or the person that is buying more than 12 items. What is so magical about 12? Why not 10 or 15?

I'm sure there was a study that found 12 to be the optimal number (for whatever reason...).

The self checkouts at Family Fare are alot better than the Meijer U-Scanners. The ones at Family Fare have nice long belts, and allow for checking out a full cart of groceries though I wouldn't recomend doing that. Plus I don't have to hear the annoying "Please place item back the bag." over and over again.

As for the one amazed about all the responses to a "Meijer" thread, here's my take. Meijer is one of those places where some love it and some hate it. So naturally a "Meijer" thread and any "Love it. Hate It." threads like it are going to get tons of replies. However reguardless of all opinions for and against Meijer, and the pros and cons of their stores, I'd gladly shop at a Meijer store over a Wal-Mart anyday if given those only two options.

I love Meijer. I usually go 5-6x/week.

I live like, 3 minutes from the Plainfield store (which IMO is as bad as 28th st), but wont visit it unless ABSOLUTELY neccesary. Always Knapp for me. Plainfield doesnt have alot of the stuff I buy, and their deli counter people are MEAN! and refuse to slice stuff to the thickness I'd like. So mean.

Edited by rallymatt

I love Meijer. I usually go 5-6x/week.

I live like, 3 minutes from the Plainfield store (which IMO is as bad as 28th st), but wont visit it unless ABSOLUTELY neccesary. Always Knapp for me. Plainfield doesnt have alot of the stuff I buy, and their deli counter people are MEAN! and refuse to slice stuff to the thickness I'd like. So mean.

I'm on the luckier side of the spectrum. I live less than a half mile north of the Standale Meijer located at Wilson Ave. and Lake Michigan Dr. Built about a year and a half ago, its one of Meijer's new format stores designed by New York architect and designer, David Rockwell. In my humble opinion, its lightyears better than any of the older Meijer stores. But I miss the shoe repair place, though remedied by going to the Alpine store which stil has one.

I've been to the Plainfeild Meijer with a couple of my buddies a few weeks ago, I pitty you 'cause that place is in serious need of updating.

Edited by tamias6

My "local" (ha!) Meijer's is the one on Wilder Road in Bay City. This one was appparently built in the late 1980s or so. Recently it was remodeled inside to the "meijer" layout, including a larger pharmacy and a much smaller (hmph) Home Office section. a drive thru was tacked onto the pharmacy, but strangely the window is on the passenger side as you drive through, just like if you go through the drive thru on the left side of a Rally's.

So I went to the Wal-Mart on Alpine today, and it just made me realize how much I like Meijer. You'd think a huge company like Wal-Mart would devote some resources into making their stores a nice place to shop. I guess they made their fortune by having the most efficient distribution system to enable lower prices, but haven't done any sort of work at making their stores not suck.

-nb