Meijer

Just a few quick updates at the Alpine Meijer store as of October 12, 2017:

Beginning at the temporary clearance space.  The space was completely cleared out and well under construction.  A new door way between it and the hot foods/deli area has been installed.  I'm thinking that a new restaurant is in the works for the space.

Heading to the checkout lane area, some of the checkout lanes were receiving upgraded conveyor belts and bagging carousels.  They are wooden looking like many of the counters such as the customer service counter to name a few. 

The new home section is slowly but surely taking shape.  It appears that the entire back section of the home section has received the new wooden floor, shelves put into place and stock going on them while shelves in the center part of the home section where the floor is still bare concrete are slowly being cleared out as that section will soon receive new tile of some sort.  The wooden floor goes all the way to the old tile floor where the baby section was at.   Where the old tile flooring is that is wood like looking that used to hold the baby section, it's holding home good items, but soon that flooring will be replaced with the new wooden tile flooring throughout the center area of the store.

I did not go to the south end of the retail section today as I was in a hurry to get some stuff and get out.  I'm sure more stuff has happened, but that's all I saw for today.

Alpine Meijer updates as of October 18, 2017:

One will notice throughout the store that permanent department signs are starting to go up representing their respective departments.  Some of them are up, but not all of them.  There are still temporary signs such as the restroom signs and bottle return room for instance.  The new department signs are shaped like a square if hanging or are labeled on the walls.

At the former subway space which was a temporary clearance section for a while, the outer wall that had a doorway on it has been completely demolished.  In the space, new drywall has gone up and has been patched.  I'm willing to believe the cafe may be returning that used to be there before the Subway went in it's place.

The section west of the new baby department has been sectioned off, stripped of it's old flooring and was in the process of having cement put down to have new flooring going down which was taking place either today or night.  Once that part of the flooring is done, there is only the center portion of where the former shoe department used to be that has yet to receive it's new flooring and the area be nice and organized.  Shelving in the former shoe department that has been holding household goods was in the process of being cleared out.  Parts of it were sectioned off too.

The Skechers mini store now has the monitors up on the walls displaying pictures/slideshows of different shoes they offer.

That's about all I saw for today.  Once the area that has been bare concrete for quite sometime receives it's new flooring and shelving and stock go into place, as well as new directional signs telling where things are go up as well as a few miscellaneous items get fixed, changed, etc..., The remodel should be completed within the next 3-4 weeks just in time for the holiday shopping season ahead.

Edited by pcdoctor

Alpine Meijer Finishing Updates As of October 22, 2017:

From this point on, all updates will be referred to as finishing updates as most of the remodeling is finished.  With that being said, here's the latest of what's happening at Alpine Meijer.

All of the new signage is up including the signs that were not replaced the other day when I was at the store such as restrooms, bottle return, etc...  Also the new directional signs telling people where departments are located are also up throughout the store.   Signs that are hanging such as the Jewelry and Accessories sign are in the center portion of the store.  Signs that are up against a wall such as the health and wellness sign picture below, seasonal, toys, automotive, etc... are displayed on the walls. (See pictures below)

The remodeling in the center portion of the store is essentially finished.  All of the new flooring has been laid down.  The entire center portion of the sales floor features a wooden like tile floor even though it's not real wood.  All the shelving was in place and things are mostly stocked throughout that entire portion of that area.

Items that were being housed in the action ways for the most part have since been moved to their respective departments.

Over by where the skecher's mini store is at, there are some new speakers that appear to be hanging on the ceiling.  See picture of them.  I don't know what they are there for.  Also see picture of the new monitors displaying different skecher's shoes.

The area that used to house the Subway restaurant and what was the temporary clearance section hasn't had a lot done to it except for the fact that there is a backsplash on the lower half of the back wall and what appears to be a beverage counter in the space.  Walls still have yet to be primed/painted and flooring laid down.  In terms of the lighting in the space, I don't think the lights that are in there should be used.  Or if they do use them, they should lay them out better.  Maybe not many lights are needed in there.

Also if anyone was at the store today, you may have noticed that there was no music playing or anything coming on over the speakers.  Must be the audio system is broken down.

So other than that, the light above lane 15 or 16 I think it is still needs a new bulb or fixture as it's still dim, at the checkout lanes on the grocery side of the store, you may have noticed that the first three lanes on the left say 1, 2, 3, the next set on the right say 4, 6, 8, in the 2nd set of self-serve checkout lanes it 5, 7, 9 and on the right of that it says 10, 11 and 12.  I don't know who's idea it was to put those up like that, but they need to fix it.  Also, I really want full size self checkout lanes back.  If they don't bring them back, then increase the item limit in the express lanes as I prefer to use to self checkout lanes when checking out my groceries.   I do believe the Meijer store on Clyde Park and 54th street still has the full size self checkout lanes.

The store history on how Meijer got started is going to be located in both entrances as it appears to be the only place to put those up.  There are things up on the wall that look like would hold that display.

Here are my overall thoughts on the remodel. 

What I don't like:  I don't like that there is no longer a furniture department in the store.  Some furniture items Meijer sold were pretty good things such as Sauder furniture, department such as jewelry are very small and no longer have a display case with jewelry in them, there is only one set of fitting rooms for the women's, men's and kids clothing departments.  But the set of fitting rooms is located in the women's department which is on the left side of the center portion.  I think the fitting rooms should have been more towards the center of the clothing section.  Or they should have built another set of fitting rooms towards the men's and kids clothing departments.  Also not a huge fan of the signage they chose to go with.  What the Meijer store on Knapp has I seem to like better.  Also it seems some of the aisles are a little crammed too.

What I do like:  The store looks more like a high end grocery/department store with the changes.  I personally like the wooden stuff they chose to go with.

Health And Welness Sign.jpg

Inside The Former Subway.jpg

New Directional Signs.jpg

New Signs.jpg

Skecher's TV's.jpg

New Speakers.jpg

I don't know if the Alpine store will be getting the Wahlburger's restaurant as the construction taking place in the Alpine Meijer store doesn't appear to show signs of one going in, but it's certainly not out of the question for in the future.

Anyways, it's time for the construction update for October 26, 2017:

We will begin in the space where the new cafe is going to be.  The cafe space received the new wooden floor which you will see throughout the center portion of the store and a coca-cola freestyle machine has made an appearance in the space.  It is however not the same Coca-Cola freestyle machine that's in the front actionway.  The front side door going into the deli section had a piece of wood over it as well.  Also some of the lights that were up in the space have been removed, but now it looks darker in the space.  They should move the current lights around to balance the light better.

Next:  I thought the remodel was pretty much done, but in the back concourse checkout lane area, the area from Lanes 10, 11 and 12 up to Lane 15 was sectioned off and had received new white floor tile.  I will have to say that the new floor tile looks a lot brighter than the current white tile that is down.  I'm beginning to wonder if all of the white tile throughout the entire store will be replaced?

And in regards to the speakers that are in my last post near the Skechers mini store.  Anytime ads are playing on the center TV, the sound comes through those speakers.  Also, it seems that the store received a new intercom system too.  The speakers appear to be the same, but anytime an associate comes over the PA system, you will hear a beep now.

The lighting in the produce department was switched out to LED lights.

Finally, in the HBA area, in several posts, I posted a picture that was located above the shelves on the other side of the retail cart storage room going to the pharmacy consultation room that there was a white background with some text in it.  Turns out that those are lights as they were lit up.  Didn't get a picture of it, but hope to next time unless it's something that will have advertisements in it.

Pictures of the Cafe area:

New Cafe Space1.jpg

New Cafe Space.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alpine Ave Meijer Finishing Updates As of November 5, 2017 with an announcement at the end.

The biggest change since my last visit is the new cafe seating area which is now mostly complete.  The cafe space features a theme from back in the day Meijer got started, has a brick like wallpaper, posters of what prices of stuff used to be back in the day, a coca-cola freestyle machine which that itself is working, but the ice maker is not working yet, nice lighting, tables and chairs and a coffee area.  During the mornings, you can have a cup of coffee and a donut for just $1.  However, the coffee cups and the coffee are there at the beverage station.  If you were to look at it, you would think it's complimentary.  But I'm told that it isn't.  But there really isn't anyone watching inside the space to see whether you steal coffee or not as well as put soda in a cup to drink.  The coffee cups are very small.  We'll just have to see how this plays out overtime.

The flooring on the back side of the checkout area is making progress.  They've replaced the flooring up to lane 27 as of right now.  The flooring between lanes 27 and 28 was stripped down to bare concrete and has yet to receive it's tile.

In the HBA section, the lighting above the shelves contains advertisements.  There's also an area in the electronics section that has this too.

New directory maps have gone up in the entrances as well as at the price check/kiosks.  However the directory maps at the price checking kiosks are just on a normal 8.5x11 inch piece of paper.

With that being said, the re grand opening ceremony takes place next week Sunday from 12PM-4PM.  They really need to get busy working so that everything would be done by the ceremony.  

Meijer Map.jpg

New Cafe Area.jpg

New Cafe Area1.jpg

New Cafe Area2.jpg

New Cafe Area3.jpg

New Cafe Area4.jpg

New Cafe Area5.jpg

New Cafe Area6.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday that the Meijer at Rivertown has eliminated all of its self-checkout lanes except for a few limited quantity lanes and has replaced them with new lanes with actual cashiers.  I asked a cashier what’s up with that.  She said it was because of theft at the self-checkouts.  Who would have thought that would be a serious problem in Grandville?  Maybe they are just getting ready for when the castle starts filling up.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, walker said:

I noticed yesterday that the Meijer at Rivertown has eliminated all of its self-checkout lanes except for a few limited quantity lanes and has replaced them with new lanes with actual cashiers.  I asked a cashier what’s up with that.  She said it was because of theft at the self-checkouts.  Who would have thought that would be a serious problem in Grandville?  Maybe they are just getting ready for when the castle starts filling up.   

Meijer tries different techniques at different stores for all areas of the business. I don't know if any of you have shopped at the Jenison Meijer, but they had some huge machine that was supposed to be the next generation of self-checkouts. In reality, it was confusing to the customers and took at least two team members to run. So they scrapped it.

It seems backwards, but it's possible this is another test in the service side. What I'm surprised about is how hard it is to get help at the store level... Having checkouts that require employees seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I can get into inside baseball if anyone's interested... I'm graduating from WMU next month with a degree in Food Marketing and work part-time for Meijer in the mean time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that all Meijer stores eventually plan to scrap all the full size self checkout lanes.  If it's theft that they are worried about, there wouldn't even be self checkout lanes at all.  At Alpine, there's two sets of 6 on the grocery side and one set of 6 self-serve express checkout lanes.  I would say that they need to improve upon their security.

As of right now, I think the Meijer store on Clyde Park/54th street still has the full size self checkout lanes near the grocery section, but was told in July of 2016 that they would be going away.  According to pictures in Google maps from like September 2017, they still have full size self-checkouts.

I much rather check the items out myself rather than having a cashier check out our items.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For 2018, meijer to open 6 new stores and remodel 20 of it's existing stores.  4 of the new stores will be in Michigan including the Bridge Street Market which I don't think will open this year as they still have a lot of work to do, another store will open in Hudsonville, MI, one in Marquette and one in Warren MI.

Of the 20 stores being remodeled, 7 of those stores are in Michigan.  Those locations include, Big Rapids, Chesterfield, Gaines Township, Grand Haven, Ludington, Saginaw and Sterling Heights.  As to what type of remodel these stores will go through remains unknown.  But if I were to guess, I would think Ludington would be a major remodel and Gaines Township would be a refresh.  Hopefully more information will come out about this soon.

https://www.meijer.com/content/content.jsp?pageName=grandopening#map

On 3/26/2018 at 11:39 PM, pcdoctor said:

For 2018, meijer to open 6 new stores and remodel 20 of it's existing stores.  4 of the new stores will be in Michigan including the Bridge Street Market which I don't think will open this year as they still have a lot of work to do, another store will open in Hudsonville, MI, one in Marquette and one in Warren MI.

Of the 20 stores being remodeled, 7 of those stores are in Michigan.  Those locations include, Big Rapids, Chesterfield, Gaines Township, Grand Haven, Ludington, Saginaw and Sterling Heights.  As to what type of remodel these stores will go through remains unknown.  But if I were to guess, I would think Ludington would be a major remodel and Gaines Township would be a refresh.  Hopefully more information will come out about this soon.

https://www.meijer.com/content/content.jsp?pageName=grandopening#map

Some of these remodels have already started - Chesterfield has.

I'm not sure if Gaines Township will be just a refresh. The Rockford location is of similar vintage and received an Alpine-like remodel last year. (How did we all miss it?)

Agreed on Ludington, though. Big Rapids is just as dated, so it will hopefully receive similar treatment.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:25 PM, getemngo said:

The Rockford location is of similar vintage and received an Alpine-like remodel last year.

Rockford is a new flagship for them. The Alpine remodel is more or less what all new/remodeled stores are looking like right now. In Rockford they used new fixtures and a black celing above the fresh areas and some different graphics as well. It looks really nice if any of you make it up that way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My brother and aunt both work for Meijer store #55, which is on east Michigan avenue in Jackson MI. 

They both told me the store is approved for a complete remodel which involves a completely new front face and a complete layout overhaul. They don't know much else but apparently the design will look similar to the Ionia Meijer facade. My aunt says she will tell me when she hears more. 

I'll add that it REALLY needs it. I don't know if any of y'all have been in there lately but its a dump. It hadn't been remodeled since early 2000s which all they did was close off the original general merchandise entrance, cover all the windows and add a pharmacy drive up. Other than that its looked the same basically since I remember and its falling apart. The store is gross and the bathrooms are horrific. Its also really dated. It helped improve the design when they covered the windows and removed the recessed drop ceiling (making it more similar to a Walmart) but its still old and dated. 

Also, one last thing. Meijer on east Michigan ave is the only major grocery store on the east side of town and supporting the areas such as Michigan center and leoni (not counting dollar general or tree) because on April 7th the Kroger located only a couple blocks from east side meijer closed its doors after about 45 years in business. This gives meijer basically a monopoly over here right now. 

Edited by cammers1995

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, wyoming_mi said:

Meijer #36 at 54th and Clyde Park is undergoing its own renovation. Anyone with connections have more details?

Meijer has three levels of remodel, the smallest is not much more than fresh paint, graphics, and lighting. This remodel  is a level 3, where they will essentially be redoing everything except for the four walls and foundation. I don't know if the graphics style will be like Alpine or like Hudsonville but every department will be touched and possibly moved. In the end it should feel like a brand new store.

Edited by ChevalierNoir
Clarified first sentence

12 hours ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Meijer has three levels of remodel, the smallest is not much more than fresh paint, graphics, and lighting. This remodel  is a level 3, where they will essentially be redoing everything except for the four walls and foundation. I don't know if the graphics style will be like Alpine or like Hudsonville but every department will be touched and possibly moved. In the end it should feel like a brand new store.

I'm going to miss those entrances it has.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...