Meijer

My company would often tell us to mis-spell things intentionally. It was their idea that things spelled wrong will get people's attention, and get them to see the sign. I've always begged to differ. They'd obviously have to see the sign before ever seeing the mistake.. the only thing it would do is cause them to remember it better and think we're complete fools who probably can't even make their food properly.

In fact outside the store I work at, our own store name is spelled wrong on a small sign hanging off the covered sidewalk. It shows us as being "Little Ceasars", and has been that way since the store's creation over 15 years ago.

There was a small home security system store on 28th Street between K'zoo and Divsion that hung there store's street sign upside down. I don't know if it's still there or not.

For good reason... It was a part in the World famous purple hunt... The legend goes, that if someone would solve the Purple Hunt riddle the store owner would flip the sign right side up. Last I checked the sign returned to right side up sometime in Spring.

I think this is affiliated with Joe Cramer -- I've seen the guy near 54th st. before.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just called back home and it sounds like the Sign has been flipped over again.

Edited by Rizzo

Meijer raises stakes with free med program

The West Michigan-based retailer Monday said it immediately will provide seven commonly prescribed oral antibiotics free at its pharmacies.

Which is interesting. Aren't many pediatricians trying to get away from prescribing antibiotics so much?

SPecifically they're trying to get away from prescribing antibiotics for viral infections which (by definition) will do absolutely nothing for patients.

When you have a backterial infection that requires treatment, they're still going to prescribe antibiotics and Meijer is now making the most common ones free. In my eyes, it's a bold gesture that probably will cost them less overall than the Wal-Mart plan (because Meijer is limiting it to a small list of products) but it may do just as much good because they're only giving away the "important" drugs for free and still charging full price if you decide you really need to fill that prescription for cough medicine.

SPecifically they're trying to get away from prescribing antibiotics for viral infections which (by definition) will do absolutely nothing for patients.

When you have a backterial infection that requires treatment, they're still going to prescribe antibiotics and Meijer is now making the most common ones free. In my eyes, it's a bold gesture that probably will cost them less overall than the Wal-Mart plan (because Meijer is limiting it to a small list of products) but it may do just as much good because they're only giving away the "important" drugs for free and still charging full price if you decide you really need to fill that prescription for cough medicine.

And the pharmacies are located several aisles past all the endcaps full of loss leaders. (Not to mention the autopilot carts with homing devices.)

And the pharmacies are located several aisles past all the endcaps full of loss leaders. (Not to mention the autopilot carts with homing devices.)

Sure...it is a store, afterall....end caps full of loss leaders don't make them money either (or they aren't loss-leaders).

Sure...it is a store, afterall....end caps full of loss leaders don't make them money either (or they aren't loss-leaders).

Yeahbut. You come in for the free meds, load the cart with the sale items, then add more stuff because you're there or it will make Junior feel better.

Every weekend Fred gives sacks of frozen shrimp away, and it's a three-fer: pay for one, get two free. Get 'em in the store and get that inventory turning!

Nah, I think it's more symbolic than anything else. Based on first-hand experience, I would venture to guess most children only need antibiotics once a year or so.

I'm sure theres some kid somewhere in the 5(?) states Fred serves who will need an antibiotic on any given day, you are probably still talking about a massive amount of medication a day.

Edited by snoogit

I haven't been able to find it in this thread, but is anyone aware of Meijer's 2007 expansion plans? Any blueprints for Chicago or Wisconsin yet?

I don't know the timeline for these Chicagoland locations, but I know they have property in:

-Mokena

-Oswego

-South Barington/Hoffman Estates

-Homer Glen/Orland Park

-Lisle (this store was rejected, but I think they still own the property)

Just opened Plainfield.

• 2 weeks later...

tSlater. This sketchup file is dedicated to you.

It's my idea of a renovated 28th / K'zoo Meijer store.

post-11190-1162963194_thumb.jpg

Foot print wise, I filled in the back part of the property with a battery of additions and demolished the 1980's additon to the west of the building to may way for a 16,000 sq ft. outdoor garden center. The result is a massive size increase from the store's current 150,000 to 239,000 sq. ft. Parking lost to the increase of the building's size would would be replaced by buying up the spit of land to the south east of the building.

Architecturally, I would restore the arch to its orginal state as it was in the '60's execpt trim colors would match Meijer's current colors. Also the arch's glass wall lends itself perfectly to serving as a back drop for the store's signage. So that's where I placed the sign. As for the rest of the building, it is an adaptation of Meijer's current architechure to work well at playing up the arch. To add symetry, I've chosen to do an "eyebrow" entry, similar to the entries of the Ionia Meijer, for the retail end of the store.

a 28th rennovation would be nice, although I would love to see that curved roof portion preserved. It's rather unique.

Here's a U of M's Michigan Today article about Meijer CEO, Hank Meijer I found to be interesting.

Linky

Its kind of funny how a aspiring writter and Journalist became CEO of the family bussines.

Nice piece. I'm impressed with the silver spoon roots and the Rennaissance Guy interests.

Doesn't watch TV sports?!? Yo, Budgie, he's single!!

tSlater. This sketchup file is dedicated to you.

It's my idea of a renovated 28th / K'zoo Meijer store.

post-11190-1162963194_thumb.jpg

Foot print wise, I filled in the back part of the property with a battery of additions and demolished the 1980's additon to the west of the building to may way for a 16,000 sq ft. outdoor garden center. The result is a massive size increase from the store's current 150,000 to 239,000 sq. ft. Parking lost to the increase of the building's size would would be replaced by buying up the spit of land to the south east of the building.

Architecturally, I would restore the arch to its orginal state as it was in the '60's execpt trim colors would match Meijer's current colors. Also the arch's glass wall lends itself perfectly to serving as a back drop for the store's signage. So that's where I placed the sign. As for the rest of the building, it is an adaptation of Meijer's current architechure to work well at playing up the arch. To add symetry, I've chosen to do an "eyebrow" entry, similar to the entries of the Ionia Meijer, for the retail end of the store.

That's a beautiful rendering, I really like it. Here's to hoping we'll see that in real photos some years down the road. =]

The Meijer sons are great guys. I had a casual friendship with Hank (I played in a string quartet at his first wedding) and we went to the same high school. Boy, that article tagged it right -- Creston High graduates, if they didn't start working immediately, went to JC (as it was known then) or Central or Western. I don't think things have changed much, except that even fewer go so far as Michigan State or, heaven forfend, the University of Michigan. I think that one graduate in my class went East to college.

I find it quite amazing that Hank has worked on a biography of Senator Vandenberg. Vandenberg is a major figure of 20th century American politics, and the lack of a first-rate biography is scandalous. (Frankly, absent an accidental presidency, Vandenberg would today be the most famous Grand Rapids politican, IMHO.) I hope he gets time to finish it someday.

Here's a little nostalgic Meijer for you. This is a Sketchup file I did of the vacant super market on Lake Michigan and Wilson as it was in the mid 50's when it was a Meijer Super Market. Meijer eventially closed this place and sold the building to subsiquent owners, Shop Rite, Piggly Wiggly, and then Ralph's Market. However back in the 90's Ralph's Market, the last tenent, closed and this building has sat vacant ever since. Mejier has come full circle a few years ago at this inersection as a 207,000 sq. ft. supercenter was opened on the opposite corner where the ruins of an abandoned drive-in movie theater once stood.

Note: As the photos I have of this old Meijer Super Market are in Black and White, I'm only making educated guesses on colors based on the colors of the oldest existing stores in Meijer's chain.

post-11190-1163369773_thumb.jpg

Edited by tamias6

Here's a little nostalgic Meijer for you. This is a Sketchup file I did of the vacant super market on Lake Michigan and Wilson as it was in the mid 50's when it was a Meijer Super Market. Meijer eventially closed this place and sold the building to subsiquent owners, Shop Rite, Piggly Wiggly, and then Ralph's Market. However back in the 90's Ralph's Market, the last tenent, closed and this building has sat vacant ever since. Mejier has come full circle a few years ago at this inersection as a 207,000 sq. ft. supercenter was opened on the opposite corner where the ruins of an abandoned drive-in movie theater once stood.

Note: As the photos I have of this old Meijer Super Market are in Black and White, I'm only making educated guesses on colors based on the colors of the oldest existing stores in Meijer's chain.

The car is too new...needs tail fins.