Meijer

Progressive Grocer names Meijer "Retailer of the Year"

"The reasons for our selection are many, and include Meijer's reputation as an exemplary performer in the Midwest, with aggressive growth plans, and demonstrated ability to continue to improve and build upon the concept that the Meijer family pioneered," said Stephen Dowdell, editor-in-chief of PROGRESSIVE GROCER.

In the upcoming article on Meijer, entitled The True Center of 'Super,' the magazine's editors offer their take on what has made the retailer so successful: "Without question, Meijer's strongest advantages are its relationships with customers, its solid reputation for low price and quality, and the agility -- given its size -- that comes from private entrepreneurial ownership. These three elements permeate everything the chain does."

Meijer, Nature Conservancy fight against invasive species

DECEMBER 04, 2006 -- GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Meijer here is teaming up with The Nature Conservancy to try to reduce the threat of invasive plant species along the Lake Michigan shoreline, part of the world's largest freshwater dune system.

Meijer said it will donate $450,000 over the next three years to support work to reduce invasive plants in the area. Additionally, Meijer said it will educate consumers recommended non-invasive species in its Garden Centers next spring, throughout the five-state region (Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio) in which it operates.

But I still can't figure out why I like Meijer better than Wal-Mart. :whistling:

Progressive Grocer names Meijer "Retailer of the Year"

"The reasons for our selection are many, and include Meijer's reputation as an exemplary performer in the Midwest, with aggressive growth plans, and demonstrated ability to continue to improve and build upon the concept that the Meijer family pioneered," said Stephen Dowdell, editor-in-chief of PROGRESSIVE GROCER.

In the upcoming article on Meijer, entitled The True Center of 'Super,' the magazine's editors offer their take on what has made the retailer so successful: "Without question, Meijer's strongest advantages are its relationships with customers, its solid reputation for low price and quality, and the agility -- given its size -- that comes from private entrepreneurial ownership. These three elements permeate everything the chain does."

But I still can't figure out why I like Meijer better than Wal-Mart. :whistling:

The nature of that market [Chicago]would make it difficult to acquire 20 or 40 acres of land, so Meijer will start to rethink how its stores could fit on a smaller footprint.

Perhaps a downtown Meijer would be a good test.

Edited by destijl

I think that grocer on Monroe really serves the "walker" market. People that walk by before going to work, or on the their way home. I have the feeling that with its focus on the Monroe area, it would still be successful with a nearby Meijer, especially as DT becomes more dense the market for a neighborhood store would remain.

It is a very interesting article indeed. The Meijer family is right in placing the good treatment of the customer at the heart of their business model rather it is in the form of good costomer service or the ongoing renovation of the entire chain to met the ever changing needs of the customer. Its a shame that many business esp. huge publically owned corporations seem to have forgotten that most important of cardinal rules of the business world. That is "The costomer always comes first." After all its the costomers that buys the products and / or services and thus sustains a business via profits and its reputation via word of mouth. Becuae Meijer is a privately owned company they are free to treat customers right instead of bending over backwards to appease greety Wall Street investors. It was doing everything they could to please the customer that kept Meijer in business even when the A&P supermarket chain was mowing down competitors back in the 60's just like Wal-Mart is doing today. As long as Meijer sticks to their guns and continues to treat the customer right, Meijer stores will hold there any of the Wally Worlds out there.

Here's an interesting article on Meijer that I found while surfing the Meijer site tonight. It's an excellent read. :)

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/progressi...t_id=1003466976

• 1 month later...

Has anybody else's Meijer stores (besides the Alpine/Plainfield/Knapp stores) seeing any renovations going on inside.

I know that Alpine is getting their remodel on - but my Meijer here in Greenville is getting a little interior renovation itself. The picture studio disappeared, they're gutting the deli and bakery...and I just went in last night and noticed new bakery shelves and lighting (looks very much like Knapp's bakery) and they got rid of the infamous salad bar :lol: and put in some extra shelving for cheeses and such...the deli seciton is a mess but there's no indication of what is going on it just says on the signs "Pardon our dust while we bring you a better Meijer..." And over by the dairy/cold items they have installed a new jelly belly jelly bean station (YES!)

Now I know that some stores will be getting those free clinics, but I didn't see anything in the front of the store being remodeled other than the purple cow and the picture studio being gone meaning extra lease space!!! hmmm starbucks?

I'm thinking just the Greenville store is getting some attention because of walmart a half mile down the road - ever since they came this Meijer store has dropped prices dramatically on a lot of things - and I can tell because when I go to the Rockford Meijer I see the difference in my receipts as Greenville's Meijer being cheaper.

By the way, for those that didn't know...when Walmart just finished their store here in Greenville a couple years ago, right thereafter Meijer installed 4 pretty large signs on all sides of town that says "Welcome to Greenville: Birthplace of Meijer." We all got such a kick out of that...it was sort of them saying "In your face Wallyworld, yer on my turf."

Although shocking, the Walmart here 2 years later is still clean! Parking lot is another story though.

Edited by blueradon

Yeah that is strange - we had a remodel here a couple years ago they gutted the whole interior - reorganized everything and added on to the building - it looks like the rockford store somewhat. But I was like, "geez another renovation again? what's the deal?"

But I guess I'll know when I know...

Yes it is still there. The most recent rumors I have heard is Lowe's wanting to go there - but I can't imagine that when there are multiple lots on the west side each about 15+ acres for sale. Meijer still owns it and they don't want to sell the building to "competition." Also when the building does someday get sold, Meijer will still own the out lots in front (basically chunks of the parking lot in front of M-91. The gas station there is still up and running.

There's an interesting editorial today in the Press by Nancy Crawley, about the new book out: Wal-Smart, What it really takes to profit in a Wal-Mart world. It contrasts how K-Mart went head to head in a price war with Wal-Mart and lost big time, and how Meijer has undergone the most drastic transformation of any retailer in the country to compete against Wal-Mart, and is succeeding.

Yes it is still there. The most recent rumors I have heard is Lowe's wanting to go there - but I can't imagine that when there are multiple lots on the west side each about 15+ acres for sale. Meijer still owns it and they don't want to sell the building to "competition." Also when the building does someday get sold, Meijer will still own the out lots in front (basically chunks of the parking lot in front of M-91. The gas station there is still up and running.

Thanks for the update. I hope they are able to find some use for that building one of these days.

There's an interesting editorial today in the Press by Nancy Crawley, about the new book out: Wal-Smart, What it really takes to profit in a Wal-Mart world. It contrasts how K-Mart went head to head in a price war with Wal-Mart and lost big time, and how Meijer has undergone the most drastic transformation of any retailer in the country to compete against Wal-Mart, and is succeeding.

I'm glad to see Meijer successfully competing with Wal-Mart. Every time I drive through Ionia the Meijer parking lot seems to be a lot busier than Wal-Mart's parking lot. Maybe, just maybe, if Meijer is successful enough, they'll be able to keep Wal-Mart from building too many more stores in Michigan.

Edited by highwayguy

Very good read GRDad, If there is anybody out there that can stand up against Wal-Mart, its Meijer. They have been through something like this before only it was A&P supermarket chain that was the Wal-Mart of its time.

I'm hoping that Fred will keep Wally-World in check here in Michigan. It would be a shame to see Wal-Mart and Sam's Club on every corner and nothing else like it seems to be everywhere else.

Thanks for the update. I hope they are able to find some use for that building one of these days.

I'm glad to see Meijer successfully competing with Wal-Mart. Every time I drive through Ionia the Meijer parking lot seems to be a lot busier than Wal-Mart's parking lot. Maybe, just maybe, if Meijer is successful enough, they'll be able to keep Wal-Mart from building too many more stores in Michigan.

Ha! I remember Jewel and Osco from when I lived in the Chicago area a long time ago. Boy I thought those stores where gigantic to have the Osco pharmacy connected to the Jewel supermarket via a doorway between the two stores. Then the family and I moved to Michigan and went to Meijer for the first time. In shear size even the 28th street and K'zoo Meijer makes a Jewel and Osco's look like a gas station's convenient store in Kalkaska in comparison.

I'd like to read the book, and especially the parts about how Meijer studied the Chicago market for 7 years and has now successfully dominated that market, which did not have any "supercenter" concepts prior to Meijer. Jewel Osco doesn't count. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Yet another reason I shop at Meijer. Michigan needs more companies with this kind of commitment.

Meijer cites $463-million investment in state

Nice short article. Im sure they had their PR machine on this one with regards to the Comerica departure. It also states they will open three new stores in Michigan, all on the east side of the state in Allen Park, Macomb and Clinton county.