Meijer

I guess it is good, but the folks concerning the Clinton County one don't want the Meijer proposed for the location. It's eating up another cornfield at the fringes of Lansing's fast-growing northern sprawl, instead of locating to where the infastructure already is, thus perpetuating sprawl. But, as someone else said in another thread, in a state hurting as bad as ours, perhaps we can forgive them, for now. I'm just torn.

Edited by Lmichigan

Does anyone know if they have started construction yet on building the new plainfield store? I may try to go out to that store before they tear it down.

Also, I've noticed that the meijer on Clyde Park Avenue is on the list for a grocery only remodel. Are they remodeling it or no or what's the deal with that? Also, I was there in early 06 and saw their e4 dept. How long ago did they redo parts of that store? And for some reason. I like the entrys at that store.

Edited by pcdoctor

Does anyone know if they have started construction yet on building the new plainfield store? I may try to go out to that store before they tear it down...

I was just there (did a two-fer with a stop at the soon-to-close Hancock Fabrics). There is a 'dozer parked at the former Thrifty Outlet (closed March 1 and moved to Alpine). And there's a construction trailer immediately adjacent to the store (on the right as you face the entrances).

Keep in mind they'll be razing the outlet store, building the brand-spankin' new store, then razing the old store after transferring stock and people. You have plenty of time for one last retail experience there.

At Ionia they held a contest which customers entered; the winner got the first chance to drive the 'dozer into the old building.

I was just there (did a two-fer with a stop at the soon-to-close Hancock Fabrics). There is a 'dozer parked at the former Thrifty Outlet (closed March 1 and moved to Alpine). And there's a construction trailer immediately adjacent to the store (on the right as you face the entrances).

Keep in mind they'll be razing the outlet store, building the brand-spankin' new store, then razing the old store after transferring stock and people. You have plenty of time for one last retail experience there.

At Ionia they held a contest which customers entered; the winner got the first chance to drive the 'dozer into the old building.

Into the old plainfield store? When would they demolish the Plainfield store?

Oh Man! I heard about that. I wish I would have been the winner of that contest. *Crash* *Boom* Clean up in Asile 9!

If they hold a similar contest to drive a dozer into the Plainfield store. I'm there in a flash!

Demolition is fun!

Into the old plainfield store? When would they demolish the Plainfield store?

AFTER THEY BUILD THE NEW ONE!!!

"Keep in mind they'll be razing the outlet store, building the brand-spankin' new store, then razing the old store after transferring stock and people. You have plenty of time for one last retail experience there."

Don't worry folks construction of the new place has yet to begin. Also it takes about a year for a new Meijer store to be built from start to finish. So that in mind, the existing Plainfield store still has about of year of life left before the ol' workhorse goes to the Great Suburb in the Sky. That's more than enough time for me to make one last trip.

Don't worry folks construction of the new place has yet to begin. Also it takes about a year for a new Meijer store to be built from start to finish. So that in mind, the existing Plainfield store still has about of year of life left before the ol' workhorse goes to the Great Suburb in the Sky. That's more than enough time for me to make one last trip.

And it's not like they keep funky hours like Hobby Lobby (closed 8 pm weeknights and Sundays).

The project plans will be in front of the Plainfield Township Planning Commission for the "site plan approval" step of the process - at 7pm Tuesday evening, March 27 - at Plainfield Township Hall on Belmont Ave.

I found two renderings of a proposed Meijer to go in at Northfield Township on US23

NorthField TWP Website

This was the original rendering submitted to the township.

version1wn1.gif

...and this is a second rendering submitted after a legal go around that prompted Meijer to improved the appearance of the proposed store.

version2dd9.gif

Personally I like the second rendering better than the standard Meijer look shown in the first. I hope the new Plainfield store will look something like the second rendering because, if I remember right, Meijer did promise to do something "creative" to help enhance the look of the Plainfield Area.

Edited by tamias6

There goes the back and side entrances to the parking lot. I think that is good, cause it is the worst parking lot in the world to drive in. How is that gas station going to fit in with the bank's location?

Those are plants, not pumps. Fred puts fuel stations out by the street (so you pull in, fill yer tank, drive to a parking space). Contiguous to the store is the outdoor garden area.

Check the plans on the Twp's website. It will be at US-23 and North Territorial (which was desperately needing yet another gas station).

• 4 weeks later...

Meijer has a history of constantly tinkering with store layouts and features. A case in point is at the Alpine Meijer which is currently being renovated. The new checkout lanes have been complete for only two months if that. However they are being reconfigured again with the replacement of a handful of lanes with more U-scanners and state of the art self-help lanes able to handle full sized orders.

Fred is considering adding a drive-through pick-up window, a "we'll bring it out" parking area, and/or a dash-in-for-a-rotisserie-chicken parking area at the Cascade store. (I just filled out the survey.)

Meijer honored for backing employees in military

More positive press for Meijer. They sure have a good knack at that... or they just run a clean & positive business that the press just follows...

Nonetheless, for this, I do applaud Meijer for their support of their employees who also serve in the armed forces.

There are many businesses that are clean and positive, but I think it's fair to say the corporate culture at Meijer allows them to do so with exceptional grace and ease.

I'm doing some reading here and from what I may have read, they had to close down the meijer on Clyde Park for a bit to remodel the inside of that store? Also with the one in Jenison. Did that one close for it's remodel at all??

The Clyde Park & 54th Meijer was the one I frequented during its remodeling, and as far as I know, it didn't close the entire store at all throughout the process.

For the most part Meijer tends to keep stores open during renovations. The Alpine Meijer is a drastic case case and point. To pull it off workers will start off by building any additions. Then they go through the store's interior and renovate it section by section starting at the retail end and finish the interior work up at the groceries. Depending on what the renovations calls for Meijer will generally keep atleast one entry open at any given time as exterior work comenses.

The second way Meijer will ugrade a location is to actually build a brand new store next to the old one. In this case the old store remains open and in full operation until the new store is complete. Next there would be a transistion from old to new in which stock and workers are moved to the new building. This transition will generally last a couple of weeks. Once the new store is open and operational, the old store is then closed down and demolished to make way for more parking and/or outlots to be sold off. Examples of this type of location upgrade are the Ioina store and ongoing work at the Plainfeild Ave. location.

A third and thankfully rare way Meijer will upgrade an old store is a dreded option commonly used by Wal-Mart and a few other national chains. That is to buld a replacment store a few miles away, close the obsolete store, and then sell/lease off the building. The Alpine Meijer came within a hair's breath of suffering this dismal fate. But thankfully Meijer made the right choice in investing 16 million dollars to rennovate it. The 28th St. and Kalamazoo Ave. location with its woefully small size, odd building shape, and landlocked condition is a another story. Unless Meijer has some tricks up its sleeve, I would not be suprised in the least to see that old and tired work horse shuttered and replaced by a brand new store located elsewhere.

Generally considered as a means of estabishing a new store location rather than upgrading existing locations is the converstion of a vacant building into a Meijer store. An example of this is located in the Greater Detroit Metro Area in which Meijer purchased a vacant Super K-mart building and converted it into a Meijer store. That is thought provoking. Why? It Simple. Wal-Mart is at the peak of its power and glory right now. Therefore the only direction it can go from here is down. That means shuttered Wal-Mart supercenters would be left in the wake of Wally-World's eventual decline. It would be very ironic to one day step into a Meijer Store that was once a Wal-Mart Super Center.

Edited by tamias6

Generally considered as a means of estabishing a new store location rather than upgrading existing locations is the converstion of a vacant building into a Meijer store. An example of this is located in the Greater Detroit Metro Area in which Meijer purchased a vacant Super K-mart building and converted it into a Meijer store. ...

Location?

Tel-Twelve's K-Mart was vacant for some time (couple years?) then demolished, brand new Meijer built in.

Still wish Fred would pick up the K-Mart space in Dearborn (Ford Rd).