Meijer

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Cascade Store has dropped a huge bombshell.

Today I took a trip to the Cascade Meijer to scope out the progress of the renovation taking place there and to get a good look at the interior renderings posted in the retail entrance. Needless to say I have left the store very surprised and utterly astonished.

First of all let me explain a bit about Meijer's current store format or what the retail industry refers to as "Prototype". Between the years 2000 and 2003 Meijer underwent a corporate restructuring to be rid of excess red tape and costly redundancies. Remember the 1900 jobs Meijer axed back in that time period? This restructuring was to cuts operational costs, reduce the cost of building new stores, and enhance customer shopping experience, for the purpose of making Meijer more competitive against rivals like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. An important part of this restructuring was a top to bottom image make over orchestrated by the Marketing and Design firm, Rockwell Group Ltd. of New York City. At the heart of this make over is the current store format which all new stores, like the Birch Run Location are being built in accordance to and old stores like the Alpine Ave. store are being retrofitted with.

In 2003 the Cascade Meijer debuted the current Rockwell prototype which thus far has been an astonishing success. Store navigation is a breeze, product selection and presentation is second to none, while the prototype's interior design is very pleasing and colorful. Due to its very fashion forward and refreshing graphics program, this format would have still been very valid and pleasing 15 to 20 years from now. However, regardless to that fact and the fact that the current prototype is only three years of age, Meijer is sending the Cascade store in a completely different direction by replacing the current Rockwell prototype with a completely new store prototype.

As depicted in the renderings, this new prototype is a radical departure from the current prototype. The most notable changes are in the grocery section. In all previous Meijer prototypes, the grocery concourse was routed between the grocery section and the clothing departments. However in the new prototype, the grocery concourse runs down the middle of the grocery section dividing it in two. On one side of concourse are the main grocery aisles which are nudged towards the middle of the store while on the other side along the side wall of the sales floor are the grocery sections specialty departments such as meats, seafoods, wines, etc. all of which are arranged in special alcoves from what I can tell.

Other changes will be as followed the HBC/Pharmacy area will have the appearance of a boutique store in Woodland Mall. In addition E4 will have a completely futuristic look best described as a cross between Best Buy and an Apple Store. All the rest of the departments along the perimeter of the sales floor will also have a boutique feel to them. In the very center of the sales floor will be the diamond shaped "Customer Information" desk which I believe will either supplement or replace the customer service desk at the front of the store. Surrounding the Customer Information desk will be the clothing departments as well as the rest of the store's departments. All of which will have the look and feel of a high end department store such as Macy's or Yonkers. Lastly located by each entrance will be circular shaped greeting areas Meijer is calling "decompression areas" The greeters along with information on store events will be located in these areas.

Despite all of these drastic changes taking place at the Cascade store, Meijer seems to have been very quiet about this other than posting interior renderings. I don't know who designed this new format or why Meijer is doing this despite throwing everything it has into its current prototype. Added to that since the Cascade store is an interior only renovation (so far??) does this new prototype have an exterior design? If so what does it look like? I also do not know what will become of this new prototype if Meijer feels that it is a success. Would places like the freshly renovated Alpine Meijer be subject to another renovation in a just few years? Will recently built stores be renovated as well? Even though this new prototype, the Cascade store is adopting, looks absolutely stellar, Meijer has literally dropped a huge bombshell leaving a ton of questions to be answered.

A rough idea of what the new store layout will be like.

renovatedlayoutre1.jpg

Edited by tamias6

tamias,

They mirror this floorplan on occasion right? I noticed that with the Ann Arbor Meijers. Interestingly, I've heard some dissatisfaction among Ann Arbor college students with the Jackson road Meijer (recently built) layout, which is a mirrored version of yours. Yet, the one on Ann Arbor-Saline Road has a similar layout as the one you posted above, and people like that one better. My best guess is people are used to the pharmacy being on the right, and the bakery on the left. It's interesting that some of my friends will outright avoid the Meijer on Jackson road because they don't like the flipped store layout.

Rybak, are you from Bay City? The Tri-Cities forum has been dead lately. I feel like I have conversations with myself there.

Edited by wolverine

Anyone know the status of the Barrington Rd. store in Hoffman Estates, IL? I used to drive by it almost daily when I lived in the area about 3 years ago. The site was prepared, but the store construction had been delayed. Any progress?

Do you mean the store in Rolling Meadows?

tamias,

They mirror this floorplan on occasion right? I noticed that with the Ann Arbor Meijers. Interestingly, I've heard some dissatisfaction among Ann Arbor college students with the Jackson road Meijer (recently built) layout, which is a mirrored version of yours. Yet, the one on Ann Arbor-Saline Road has a similar layout as the one you posted above, and people like that one better. My best guess is people are used to the pharmacy being on the right, and the bakery on the left. It's interesting that some of my friends will outright avoid the Meijer on Jackson road because they don't like the flipped store layout.

Rybak, are you from Bay City? The Tri-Cities forum has been dead lately. I feel like I have conversations with myself there.

Meijer like many other big boxes, has a standard store format called a "prototype". All new stores are built to the specs of this prototype. However Meijer's prototype allows for flexibility to enable a store to be tailored to an certain extent to its site conditions and the unique needs of the market the store serves. The most basic modification is mirroring. In most instances one will find a new Meijer store's grocery section at the opposite end of the store from the most busy road serving the store. This is to face the visually unattractive loading docks and mechanicals away from the main road while giving the more visually attractive garden center more visibility. An example of this is the Standale store which is a left hand grocery location to face the garden center towards Lake Michigan Dr. and the M-6/ K'zoo Meijer which is a right hand grocery location to make the garden center more visible from the interchange. In short, when site conditions permits Meijer mirrors its layout to put its best face forward.

The new layout posted for the Cascade Meijer looks VERY similar to the Knapps Crossing Meijer. Is it really that different? I guess I'd have to see them side by side....

The retail section of the Cascade store will have similarities to many other Meijer stores as far as department locations. But that's about all as the Cascade store's interior will have a look and feel unlike anything Meijer has ever pulled out of its bag of tricks before. The biggest deference that will set the cascade Meijer apart from the rest of the pack are as followed:

1) The very bold and ultra modern Interior design and Graphics Program will be very unlike any other Meijer store and will have a very upscale appearance even more so than the current David Rockwell format. Even some of the light fixtures shown in the renderings look really sheik. Think of some of the higher end boutique stores of Woodland Mall and Rivertown Crossings only blown up to 200,000+ square feet in size.

2.) In all previous Meijer stores that opened after the 28th st / K'zoo store, the Grocery concourse acts as a divider between the grocery and retail sections of the store. However in the cascade store's new layout, the grocery concourse will make a sweeping curve through what is now the produce area and then run down the middle of the grocery section dividing it in two. To one side of the relocated concourse will be the main grocery aisles while on the other side along the side wall of the sales floor are the grocery section's specialty departments such as beers and wines, beverages, meats and sea foods, etc. each arranged in special 30 to 40 foot deep alcoves.

3.) Dairy will be relocated upfront as opposed to being in the back.

4.) A "Costumer Information" desk will be located in the center of the sales floor surrounded by the clothing departments and will act as either a supplement to the existing customer service desk or will replace it outright. This new costumer information desk will be accessed by walkways dividing the sales floor's central area into four quadrants.

In essences once Meijer is done, the Cascade store is going to be a completely different animal than the normal status quo Meijer.

Delaware, OH Link

Richmond, KY Link

Stevensville/Lincoln Township, MI Bottom of page

Plainfield, IN Link

I know that this list is far from complete, but I figure it's not too bad seeing that it is only June 2007.

If and when you guys find more feel free to post them.

Not too bad. Im happy to see three of these in other states. Especially Kentucky. Meijer has what maybe 5 stores there?

I don't think Meijer would purchase another chain to expand in Wisconsin. I think its just a matter of time when they build the distribution center in metro chicago when they begin to expand to Wisconsin.

Disappointed! I needed a couple of items last night, and in the past I've seen (purchased) them at Alpine. (Adjustable window screens, and a "closet kit" with uprights and wire shelving.) Fred no longer had those at Alpine. Also, it seems like hardware and other household things are greatly diminished. (Had fun helping a pair of brand-new orphaned kitten daddies with their veterinary needs.)

Guess what big-box store had both the sought items. I feel bad for sending my $$ to Sam, but Fred let me down!

Not too bad. Im happy to see three of these in other states. Especially Kentucky. Meijer has what maybe 5 stores there?

I don't think Meijer would purchase another chain to expand in Wisconsin. I think its just a matter of time when they build the distribution center in metro chicago when they begin to expand to Wisconsin.

Looks like Kentucky has 8 already. I didn't realize they had so many down there.

For shame Veloise for joining the dark side! That will be ten lashes from a wet noodle. ;)

Anyway. Did you check in any of the housewares dept. across the rear concourse from the hardware. Seems like their was a bunch of window treatment supplies in that area. As for the closet kit. Another good source for that is the Grandville Lowe's.

Disappointed! I needed a couple of items last night, and in the past I've seen (purchased) them at Alpine. (Adjustable window screens, and a "closet kit" with uprights and wire shelving.) Fred no longer had those at Alpine. Also, it seems like hardware and other household things are greatly diminished. (Had fun helping a pair of brand-new orphaned kitten daddies with their veterinary needs.)

Guess what big-box store had both the sought items. I feel bad for sending my $$ to Sam, but Fred let me down!