Meijer

I think buying another chain would do more harm than good as Meijer committed all of its resources several years ago to growing and operating its chain supercenters. This is why most Meijer stores are in their best shape ever. A move such as buying out another chain of stores would only distract Meijer from its commitments. In addition, although Meijer's current growth plans does seems very aggressive, the company is not the type to go willy-nilly and spray big boxes all over creation like Wal-Mart does or gobble up other stores like Kroger does, in order to grow. Meijer is usually very calculative when it comes to establishing locations. Meijer will only built in locations they know will support a store which is one reason why Meijer has never had to close a store unless it is being replaced by a new facility. Secondly, Meijer is not showing any signs of interest in expanding its market reach beyond its traditional Midwest territory. Instead Meijer intends to reinforce its hold on the Midwest by increasing the number stores within its bounds. Ultimately Meijer wants a store for every three miles where ever the market can support such a density. Obviously its a bold move that comes with great risk. However from how I see it, Meijer maybe intentionally saturating the market to shunt any further inroads Wal-Mart and Target are trying to make into the Midwest.

Maybe Meijer should buy this chain to enter Wisconsin. From what I have read, they are around 200,000 sq.ft. like the current Meijer prototype. Any thoughts?
Edited by tamias6

For shame Veloise for joining the dark side! That will be ten lashes from a wet noodle. ;)

Anyway. Did you check in any of the housewares dept. across the rear concourse from the hardware. Seems like their was a bunch of window treatment supplies in that area. As for the closet kit. Another good source for that is the Grandville Lowe's.

A, I searched every pertinent aisle. Went seeking them at Alpine because I picked up the screens last fall there on clearance, when the HW section was more extensive.

The one I got "up the road" is not as nice as the Fred version, cheap flimsy China crap. And tonight I found the sought-after screen at Plainfield; same quality as before, but full price.

If you go to meijer's remodel site, the cascade store is now on that list for a total store remodel.

Unfortunately, the Cascade store's remodel web page shows interior shots of the prototype that is being replaced in its entirety. The new interior will be completely different than what the remodel page illustrates. If I had a camera phone I'd sneak in a shot of the actual renderings posted in the Cascade store's retail entrance.

Do you mean the store in Rolling Meadows?

No, farther west. It is in Hoffman Estates on Barrington Rd. just north of I-90. The neighboring municipality of Barrington was fighting the project (something about changing the character of their community). The parcel is in Hoffman Estates, but borders Barrington.

Looks like the Grand Hotel merch is getting lower and lower. At Alpine the stacks (still full!) of striped polo shirts were 50%. Flip-flops are only 30% but I bet they drop soon.

Sunday's paper's ad proclaimed a sale on patio and summer items: "End of season sale!" C'mon, Fred, we've only just begun here! (If I see any Xmas merch before Halloween I will just stay home!)

Edited by Veloise

Disappointed! I needed a couple of items last night, and in the past I've seen (purchased) them at Alpine. (Adjustable window screens, and a "closet kit" with uprights and wire shelving.) Fred no longer had those at Alpine. Also, it seems like hardware and other household things are greatly diminished. (Had fun helping a pair of brand-new orphaned kitten daddies with their veterinary needs.)

Guess what big-box store had both the sought items. I feel bad for sending my $$ to Sam, but Fred let me down!

I will add to this that the remodeled Alpine Meijer has a VERY limited paint selection. The entire paint section is now just one aisle. I do not recall seeing anywhere in the paint aisle a machine for mixing of colors. And in fact, although there is a sign for "exterior paint", there is not a single can to be found anywhere on the shelf, nor is there even space set aside for it! I ended up going to Menards for my paint needs.

I will add to this that the remodeled Alpine Meijer has a VERY limited paint selection. The entire paint section is now just one aisle. I do not recall seeing anywhere in the paint aisle a machine for mixing of colors. And in fact, although there is a sign for "exterior paint", there is not a single can to be found anywhere on the shelf, nor is there even space set aside for it! I ended up going to Menards for my paint needs.

That is what they are doing in the new and newly remodeled stores.

They are also doing the same thing with the Layaway.

As for the limited paint selection at Meijer, that is still one of their weak areas. The best paint to be had is at Seven's. They sell Benjamin Moore. Its as expensive as all get out. But I've learn the hard way that when it come to paint, don't skimp or you get what you pay for. Benjamin Moore is the best paint I've ever worked with. I don't plan on switching to any other brands any time soon.

Anyway... Back to Meijer. The Cascade store has received two new full size order self checkout lanes just like the new ones at the Alpine Meijer. Also the Cascade store is finally getting new cart rooms. Lastly it looks like a new customer service desk is taking shape next to the old one. Its being built along one side of the alcove containing the existing desk.

Here's a picture of the grocery entrance as of today. Notice the two new set of doors that have appeared next to the main grocery entrance. These doors will lead into a new cart room taking shape inside. The retail entrance should also receive a cart room as well.

newcartroomgrocentrybh4.jpg

Edited by tamias6

Just to add more fuel to the fire I'll contribute some copies of three Meijer stores I photographed on my Lake Shore touring blitz today.

Lake shore Meijer 1:

First up is this Holland Meijer located on the intersection of 16th street and Waverly just a block east of US-31. This store's most unusual characteristic is the apparent lack of in-store tenant alcoves with the exception of a Starbacks Coffee located just off of the grocery entrance (left). In place of where the alcoves would be is a curtain wall of 4x10 glass panels taking up all the space between the entrances. This affords a unique view of the entire sales floor from the parking lot. That is something that no other Meijer except the 28th street /k'zoo location offers. Also this much glass has not been seen on big box stores since the fifties and sixties. Other unusual features is a standalone car wash about a thousand feet to the east and the gas station serving E85.

hollandmeijer1yf3.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-06-30

A close up shot of the store's retail entrance. Checkout all that glass under the canopy between the entrances. This gives a the store a very welcoming appearance.

hollandmeijer2rx2.jpg

Even well out into the parking lot in broad daylight the store lights and the sales floor can be seen thanks to the panes of the glass curtain wall not being tinted.

hollandmeijer3zu7.jpg

The car wash located about a thousand feet to the east of the main store.

hollandmeijercarwashyv1.jpg

Check out how cheap the E85 is.

hollandmeijergaspricesfu9.jpg

Any that's for another topic.

On to Lake shore Meijer 2:

This Meijer store is a prime example of Meijer's current prototype as indicated by its prefab construction, "eyebrow" entrances, and the joy dots of the logo peeking above the roof line. This store along with a neighboring Target store anchors a power center located at US-31 and Quincy about half way between Holland and Grand Haven. One objective of the latest format is to reduce to the cost of constructing a store. That it has. Costing as little as 16 million dollars for a 207,000 sq. ft space, a Meijer store like this one is far less costly to construct than an older store like the Knapp Corner location.

However Meijer seem to be showing signs of seeking a successor to this format as some communities have balked at the design citing the lack of architectural interest. To address this Meijer has re-skinned the design of new stores that will be built in places like Birch Run and Northfield Township with a more traditional and pleasing exterior that brings back the brick pattern, adds crown moldings to the roof line, trades off the eye brow entrances with more conservative gables. Also there is the ongoing and very unexpected renovation of the Cascade store's interior into a completely different prototype. We will see what Meijer does in the next few years.

Approaching the store from the north west. The groceries are to the left as indicated by the lean-to containing refrigerated storage spaces.

us31meijer1sw2.jpg

A shot of the grocery entrance. Notice how the canopy is lifted slightly upwards by large wall mounted turnbuckles to provide a more welcoming appearance.

us31meijer2nl5.jpg

A shot of the facade and main store sign between the entrances. Even though this store is a decent looking store given its nature, I can see why Meijer has re-skinned the Birch Run and North Shore stores. There really needs to be more visual interest on the wall as well as a walkway and some vegetation along the front facade.

us31meijer3kr1.jpg

Last but not least is store number 3

This store located on US-31 just south of Grand Haven is basically a clone of the gargantuan Knapp Corner Meijer. Apparently not yet renovated to Meijer's current prototype. This store is how the Knapp Corner store looked like when first open. Stores of this generation are sized at about 225,000 sq. ft. making them among the largest stores Meijer has ever built. However as good as this store looks Meijer will need to make very quick work to upgrade it to current specs as a new and admittedly (more like begrudgingly) nice looking Wal-Mart super center located next door looks set to open its doors within a matter of a few months.

The front of the store. Notice the green glass curtain wall spanning from grocery entrance to the retail entrance. Like the Knapp Corner store this curtain wall situated above the in-store tenant alcoves floods the entire sales floor in a soft light that tones down the hustle and bustle with a relaxing atmosphere. This is one feature from the older stores I wish Meijer had carried over into the new format.

grandhavenstore1gb0.jpg

The grocery section featuring the cafe bump out containing tones of glass. Feature allot of glass for a big box this generation Meijer stores is my favorite.

grandhavenstore2hs1.jpg

The store front along the front drive. Notice the tight fit and finish and how it has remain so despite enduring the hectic wear and tear of being a heavy draw retail space for several years. This generation of Meijer stores seem to have been very well built.

grandhavenstore3hp7.jpg

Lastly I leave you with a picture of the enemy going in next door. The evil smiley face yearns to destroy Meijer as he as done to so many other who have stood in his way. In his frantic bid to unseat the incumbent and deeply entrenched Meijer store he's done away with the standard blue and gray wally-world box in favor of a box that admittedly looks pretty darn good. Its even got street trees, parking lot islands, windows, crown moldings, gables, pediments, pilers, pilasters, and lots of architectural eye candy. This new Wally World is also purposefully nestled in a grotto of existing trees carefully left intact making it barley visible from the main road so as to not look -uh..well you know- so "Big Boxy". But sorry, evil smiley face. You may build your stores out of solid gold. But still its what's inside that counts. In that department you don't cut the mustard. So I'll stick with Meijer. Thank you.

newwallyworldgrandhaventl2.jpg

Lastly I leave you with a picture of the enemy going in next door. ... done away with the standard blue and gray wally-world box in favor of a box that admittedly looks pretty darn good. Its even got street trees, parking lot islands, windows, crown moldings, gables, pediments, pilers, pilasters, and lots of architectural eye candy. This new Wally World is also purposefully nestled in a grotto of existing trees carefully left intact making it barley visible from the main road so as to not look -uh..well you know- so "Big Boxy". ...

newwallyworldgrandhaventl2.jpg

Seems like the appearance was required by zoning... (trying to recall the debate in Fishwrap)

• 2 weeks later...

Found on Favorite City's website:

Swim Suit Drive Update

The City of Grand Rapids Parks & Recreation Department is pleased to announce that they have received a total of 1,100 swimsuits and 500 towels. A huge thank you is extended to Meijer Inc. for their generous donation of 300 swimsuits and 300 towels.

Yea, Fred!!

True Confession: I broke down and paid some of my hard-earned $$ to Uncle Fred for some of his GH product.

It was ice cream. Sold at the gas station. (Now there's irony for ya: the Grand Hotel does not have a gas station.)

Chocolate cherry, named something like "Heart's desire." Little chocolate hearts with cherry filling; these explode in your mouth. (I forget the base ice cream flavor.) It was pretty good...more irony: I don't believe that the GH has that particular flavor available, if the place even serves ice cream that isn't all tricked out with ganache and bananas foster or MI Fudge.

Oh, at Lowe's they have red geraniums for 45 cents. And a white wood rocking chair for about $50.