Meijer

Has anyone else seen the Big Rapids Meijer? It's somewhat in the same vein as the Cascade facade (which I love) but cartoonish, garish, just horrible. Looks like a barn. I can't find any pictures of it online but I sure hope it was the first and the last of its style.

I agree, the Cascade Meijer is by far the best implementation of the "village" facade, and I hope they keep it beyond the current remodel. My guess is that they will, since they seem to have very carefully placed a new access door into one of the "store fronts".

Speaking of which, the inside of the Cascade Meijer is basically in a state of chaos. The pharmacy is still open but all of the HBA items have been moved - down the center of the east main aisle, into the seasonal section, basically wherever they had room. Much of the store is a patchwork of old and new flooring, with the back aisle still not lining up correctly. The walls around electronics remain unfinished, and the back wall near pets, which appeared complete a few weeks ago, is one again under construction. Chips, bread, and pop are still in the back corner behind the milk coolers, although new coolers have now appeared near the former location of lunch meats. Cheese is now located in a new cooler along the new west wall, but is behind the butter and yogurt coolers which are still located where the old west wall was. A large area in the center of the grocery section is enclosed in plastic, where the new deli is under construction. The meat counter is in a temporary location in the southwest corner, just to the left of where the new counter will be located.

Basically, the store is under construction from one end to the other. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out when it is finished. It looks like the grocery section is going to be gigantic!

Ha! Ha! Welcome to the wonderful and ever changing world of a Meijer renovation. ;)

Basically, the store is under construction from one end to the other. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out when it is finished. It looks like the grocery section is going to be gigantic!

After deciding to conduct a management realignment and interviewing all the managers in the chain, Meijer will be laying off 500 Managers. However, most Managers will be receiving severance package.

Mlive Article

500 managers is quite a number of people to be laid off esp. considering that Meijer is currently in a period of fairly aggressive growth. Despite that I don't think Meijer is in any amount of big trouble though. But instead its trimming some excess fat. However my concern is this. Will 500 managers being axed from the company roster negatively affect Meijer's ability to effectively manage its workers? Hopefully the interview process has provided corporate heads with enough information to place remaining management where they can be most effective.

Its possible that they offered these individuals an opportunity to move to one of the new openings. However, it may have been a good opportunity to trim some of their least productive managers. The Jack Welch approach of continually eliminating the bottom 10%.

Nope. I believe these 500 have been axed. However most of them will be getting severance packages. The remaining managers are going to be repositioned.

We lost 3 to firings/quiting, 1 got demoted to a team member, 1-2 moved to a different Meijer, at least two promotions. This for the Lowell Meijer.

Yet another unexpected twit from Meijer.

The Planning dept. of Indianapolis suburb, Plainfield IN, gave Meijer the green light to built a store in their community. Sounds run-of-the-mill. Right? Well things get a bit weird after one look at these renderings.

bildeqi5.jpg

The Article from where the renderings came from

Indy Star article.

As one can see. Meijer has shifted directions again at least on the exterior design of their stores. This particular new store will have the exterior appearance of the older "Signature Series" prototype with the garden center and most likely the interior of the current Rockwell prototype. Translation: Think of the Rivertown Crossings Meijer renovated to the current Rockwell format.

Anyway. Why the step back to the exterior appearance of an older prototype? Has the nasty legal battles over building appearance, that occurred in Acme Twp. and Northfield, Twp. rendered Meijer indecisive as to what exterior design it wants for its stores? After all, store's like the Birch Run Meijer under construction look just as good as the older Signature Series if not better looking.

Edited by tamias6

I've seen a couple of Meijer stores of this design. They remind me of Menards home improvement stores that have been hastily converted into Meijer stores. Meijer was not in top form when they came up with this design. Of course this and other stores like it dates to sometime between 2000 and 2003, a time when Meijer was not exactly sure in what direction it want to go into.

I've seen a couple of Meijer stores of this design. They remind me of Menards home improvement stores that have been hastily converted into Meijer stores. Meijer was not in top form when they came up with this design. Of course this and other stores like it dates to sometime between 2000 and 2003, a time when Meijer was not exactly sure in what direction it want to go into.

Menard's has more ground floor transparency than that.

This looks like a bunker with a faux barn slapped on top.

There's a complex and really nasty legal battle going on dealing Acme's master plan and the appearance of Meijer's proposed store. I'm still trying to make sense of it all. But from I understand of it. Acme is trying to make Meijer conform to excessively strict design requirements that Meijer deems far too costly to implement. Also Acme has time and again rejected proposed locations of the Gas station component of the store further aggravating efforts to get the proposed store to the construction stage. Because of this as well as other issues pertaining to Acme's master plan, efforts to get the new Meijer store built are simply grinding to a halt with no signs of progress in sight.

This legal wrangling has been a long drawn out affair. So much so that the original architectural firm that worked with Meijer and Acme to come up with a compromise has washed their hands of the matter and dropped out of the game. That's about all I know. Hopefully somebody from the Traverse City area can enlighten us on this.

I been to the Traverse city store last month. All I can say about it, is that it is woefully over capacity despite its immense size. Being so crowded, and lines so long despite nearly every checkout lane being open, my best analogy of the Traverse city Meijer is that its the Christmas shopping season all year long there. Therefore I really hope Meijer can cut itself loose from the legal tangle Acme threw it in and get its proposed store built. If that doesn't work, Meijer should look elsewhere in the traverse city area to build a second store or enlarge its existing location into the world's first 300,000+ sq. ft. Meijer store.

Stopped in to the Meijer at Knapps Corner, and in Traverse City this past week.

I guess everyone is moving the baby food out of grocery and into the seperate baby area these days. That TC store is crazy! They better get cracking on the Acme store.

There's a complex and really nasty legal battle going on dealing Acme's master plan and the appearance of Meijer's proposed store. I'm still trying to make sense of it all. But from I understand of it. Acme is trying to make Meijer conform to excessively strict design requirements that Meijer deems far too costly to implement. Also Acme has time and again rejected proposed locations of the Gas station component of the store further aggravating efforts to get the proposed store to the construction stage. Because of this as well as other issues pertaining to Acme's master plan, efforts to get the new Meijer store built are simply grinding to a halt with no signs of progress in sight.

This legal wrangling has been a long drawn out affair. So much so that the original architectural firm that worked with Meijer and Acme to come up with a compromise has washed their hands of the matter and dropped out of the game. That's about all I know. Hopefully somebody from the Traverse City area can enlighten us on this.

Much good information within these links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=a...township+meijer

[not from TC; Google is everywhere]