Meijer

Here is another new Meijer store:

Meijer plans Solon Township store in 2008 or '09

Definitely sounds like Meijer is trying to saturate the Grand Rapids market in my opinion.

Solon Twp! Where the ceiling falls down on an applicant during a job interview!

I guess it could be worse.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=z...gun+clarksville

eta: try this one

Edited by Veloise

The new 157,000 sq. ft. variant of Meijer's store prototype seems very small. But in this case small is a good thing as it will allow Meijer to cast a very dense coverage of its market territories without over saturating the market while allowing Meijer to get into market areas that its traditional 207,000 sq. ft. store format can't get into. While I'm on that subject I'm wondering about Meijer's struggle to build in Acme Twp. At 230,000 sq. ft., Meijer's proposed store for Acme is massive in size. Any community would have raised eyebrows at a store that size nowadays. Perhaps withdrawing the proposed Acme store as it sets now and submitting a 157,000 sq. ft store in its place would help Meijer get a store in Acme.

I don't know, with all the problems that they have been having in Acme I don't know if they can make it through the approval process again. It says in the article that they bought the land 5-6 years ago. It makes me wonder where else they have undeveloped land. Do any of you know?

I don't know, with all the problems that they have been having in Acme I don't know if they can make it through the approval process again. It says in the article that they bought the land 5-6 years ago. It makes me wonder where else they have undeveloped land. Do any of you know?

That's really a good question. Meijer has been known to buy up land 5, 10, or even 20 years in advance in anticipation that the surrounding area will acquire enough growth to justify building a store. In addition, Meijer like most large retailers features its own internal reality division which is put to use in purchasing land for new stores and cutting through the red tape to get a new store built. Also a Meijer store's in-store tenant alcoves and outlots are sold or lease by the company's internal reality division to other businesses.

It is rumored, at least here in the Standale area that Meijer has purchase allot of nearby parcels, each spacious enough to accommodate a sizable store in attempt to stave off competitors or atleast have a heavy hand in what stores ought to be established on said parcels. Other than the Standale store's surrounding out lots, I am dismissing this rumor as hearsay. However, when Meijer opened its Rockford store a few years ago, the company acquired ownership of the water and sewer infrastructure servicing that store. There was a big stink about it as Meijer denied a nearby developer permission to tap into that infrastructure because the developer's proposal include a retailer (a shoe store I believe) Meijer deemed as a competitor.

However, when Meijer opened its Rockford store a few years ago, the company acquired ownership of the water and sewer infrastructure servicing that store. There was a big stink about it as Meijer denied a nearby developer permission to tap into that infrastructure because the developer's proposal include a retailer (a shoe store I believe) Meijer deemed as a competitor.

I think that the Gaylord store is going to be the same way.

I noticed that in all the other sections of the store there are TONS of security cameras, but not a single on in the grocery sections. Anyone know what's up with that?

Are you speaking of the Standale store or the Rockford Store?

The Standale store has always had a boat load of security cameras since its Grand Opening. I don't know about the Rockford store as I've only been there once and the visit was fleeting at best. If you want to see security camera central then take a look at the 28th street and K'zoo Meijer. I've affectionately call that store the "Blade Runner" Meijer because of all the cameras. Of course the grit completes the post apocalyptic future ambients of the place. The Alpine store is security camera heaven as well. But then again the 28th/K'zoo store and the Alpine store do have to contend with a heavy dose of shop lifters though the Alpine store's shop lifting problem seems to have tapered off a bit since the renovation.

Rockford

pict0012-4.jpg

pict0013-3.jpg

That particular store opened with great fanfare about a year before the Standale store opened its doors. It is one of the first Meijer stores under the Rockwell prototype to be built. However, one odd feature of this store is the location of the pharmacy. Like the Rivertown Crossing store, the Rockford store's pharmacy is located at the front of the grocery section. Its drive up window is on the side of the building instead of the front wall. Another oddity is the entry vestibules as each one is divided into two chambers, one for entering the store and the other for exiting.

Today, I took a trip to Meijer at Cascade to take advantage of the huge meat and fish dept that blows away those of any other Meijer store. First off, the Bakery is now fully stocked. Second and most notably, you won't find any red and blue shirts here anymore. Instead all employees are now wearing dark navy blue polo shirts and dress pants. What I assume to be higher ranking employees (managers perhaps) are wearing white dress shirts with vertical blue pin striping. Also some of the employees behind the meat counters and deli counters are sporting tan colored shirts and a beret. The head of the Deli dept. is dressed up as a full blown gourmet chef. So M@C's associates are now looking allot spiffier than the standard Meijer red shirts and blue shirts matching M@C's high end look.

I'm just blown away at how much effort Meijer as invested into this store. M&C is now unlike any other Meijer store I've ever been to and light years better than the rest of the chain. However the only draw back is that I have been told that this store will be the only one in Michigan to sport this new prototype. Their will be no other Meijer store like it since M@C is the flagship of the entire chain. But as beautiful as this store is, its a sure bet that Meijer will propagate at least some of M@C's features though out the chain sometime in the future.

Now turning our attention to --- ummm.... what's left of the Chinese restaurant located in front of M@C.

Here, a beastly looking Hitachi excavator triumphantly poses before my camera after sumo wrestling the old Chinese restaurant into rumble. I don't know what going in its place though.

1510839578_605a7548f8_o.jpg

Edited by tamias6

Today, I took a trip to Meijer at Cascade to take advantage of the huge meat and fish dept that blows away those of any other Meijer store. First off, the Bakery is now fully stocked. Second and most notably, you won't find any red and blue shirts here anymore. Instead all employees are now wearing dark navy blue polo shirts and dress pants. What I assume to be higher ranking employees (managers perhaps) are wearing white dress shirts with vertical blue pin striping. Also some of the employees behind the meat counters and deli counters are sporting tan colored shirts and a beret. The head of the Deli dept. is dressed up as a full blown gourmet chef. So M@C's associates are now looking allot spiffier than the standard Meijer red shirts and blue shirts matching M@C's high end look.

I'm just blown away at how much effort Meijer as invested into this store. M&C is now unlike any other Meijer store I've ever been to and light years better than the rest of the chain. However the only draw back is that I have been told that this store will be the only one in Michigan to sport this new prototype. Their will be no other Meijer store like it since M@C is the flagship of the entire chain. But as beautiful as this store is, its a sure bet that Meijer will propagate at least some of M@C's features though out the chain sometime in the future.

Yeah, I was in there recently too. No more 15' high aisles of breakfast cereal. The Cascade Meijer has chosen Quality over Quantity.

I know one of the managers there...she said Meijer modified this store only and they have no current plans to apply this formula to other stores.

They did this to compete with the likes of the new Fresh Market.

Prices have gone up too...Yikes!

If the new prototype works out much better over at the Meijer at Cascade, then they should apply it everywhere else. I can however see though that it would indeed cost more $ to modify exhisting stores. But maybe at least put the new prototype in some new stores they build. Plainfield for instance should maybe have the new prototype.

Dashed in this morning for a single item. Memo to those who wear khakis and polos: plan to be asked for retail assistance. The cashiers have been issued a plain navy polo with a khaki collar stripe (worn with khakis and a name tag). Only the greeter had the company name embroidered on her shirt.

[i get asked all the time, no matter the store, no matter my attire...dunno why]

I've learned not to wear red colored shirts when shopping at Meijer. Last month, I had some elderly woman ask me were the soups are sold. A month before that at I was at the Alpine Meijer. While there, another elderly woman needed help dialing her cell phone. Took me about ten minutes to get the number dialed because she could not remember the right number. I don't know what shirt I was wearing at the time, but I bet it was red.

While there, another elderly woman needed help dialing her cell phone. Took me about ten minutes to get the number dialed because she could not remember the right number. I don't know what shirt I was wearing at the time, but I bet it was red.

Oh jeez When I put in my (hard) time at Meijer I never got asked to dial a cell phone! What a rude thing to ask an employee to do, even if you are elderly. Sometmes I wonder if the elderly have just lost all respect for the public, and expect a hand out sometimes...... -_-

*Sorry for the venting, but that hits my buttons*

The family and I went shopping at the Alpine Meijer today. When we checked out, we began writing a check to pay for our purchases. However the cashier stopped us and asked us leave the check blank. She inserted the check into the cash register's printer. It printed all of the information on the check and then voided it. She then handed the check back to us for our records. A moment latter, the cashier asked us to sign the Point of Purchase terminal to complete the transaction. What had happened is the cash register scanned the bank number on the lower left hand corner of the check and electronically debited our account. Basically this method of transaction is bast described as making the check act like a pseudo version of a debit card. This transaction method occurred the last time we shopped at the Alpine Meijer about a month ago. However other Meijer stores we've been to have not processed checks in this manner. So has anybody encountered what I call the "Debit Card Check" transaction at your local Meijer?

Sometmes I wonder if the elderly have just lost all respect for the public, and expect a hand out sometimes...... -_-

It's just not the elderly with no respect. I went for my pre-dinner walk tonight in my neighborhood just west of this Meijers. I walk 3 miles thru my subdivision. I've walked by this same house 4-5 times a week for 4 years. New neighbors this spring with at least 1 - 10-12 year old boy. Tonight there were 3 boys that age in the garage. When I walked by the 1st time on the opposite side of the street, I wasn't sure if they were talking to me and ignored them because of what I thought was vulgar language. On the way back in their side of the street, I definitely knew they were directing their comments to me. Now keep in mind, I've never said anything but "hi" when I've seen kids there a few times in the past. Their comments to me were "hey f*****g old man, hey you old b*****d" When I stopped and looked at them (didn't say a thing) one of them hollered "hey f*****g old man, come here and I'll kick your f*****g a$$". I was impressed - NOT.

It's just not the elderly with no respect. I went for my pre-dinner walk tonight in my neighborhood just west of this Meijers. I walk 3 miles thru my subdivision. I've walked by this same house 4-5 times a week for 4 years. New neighbors this spring with at least 1 - 10-12 year old boy. Tonight there were 3 boys that age in the garage. When I walked by the 1st time on the opposite side of the street, I wasn't sure if they were talking to me and ignored them because of what I thought was vulgar language. On the way back in their side of the street, I definitely knew they were directing their comments to me. Now keep in mind, I've never said anything but "hi" when I've seen kids there a few times in the past. Their comments to me were "hey f*****g old man, hey you old b*****d" When I stopped and looked at them (didn't say a thing) one of them hollered "hey f*****g old man, come here and I'll kick your f*****g a$$". I was impressed - NOT.

Ooooh, that brings up a story about my Dad. When I was still in High school, we had just got done doing some shopping at Builder's Square (Now the Alpine Ave. Hobby Lobby). My dad went out ahead of us to get the car to drive it up to the doors so we good load up our goods. Well when he was about to back the car out the parking spot, some teenage punk stepped in the way. My dad kindly asked him three times to step aside so he could back out. But being the little snot nose teen he was, the kid replied with "F*** you, old man!". My dad then showed the stupid kid to respect one's elders by chasing him about 300 yards to the other side of the Star Theater with the poor kid screaming.

Back to M@C...

On yesterday's visit there was a royal blue shirt & tie re-arranging a fall harvest apple display. Looks like the heirarchy goes: plain polo shirt, striped shirt with logo, blue shirt with logo (and tie), suit.

Had a nice chat with someone in a unique position to know...he said that this is not a one-off store, but a test for higher-end upscale areas. Fred might implement one in each major market (Chicago, Indianapolis, Southfield). Said they get more managers and high-end execs in there shopping (not mystery shopping) than any other branch. Said that Himself comes in for his haircuts!

Said that the makeover has little to do with Fresh Market opening right down the street, but their unique position between the Ada high-rollers and the bus-rider sort of clientele. (I am paraphrasing. we all know that ITP doesn't go to Cascade Twp.)

Go check out the harvest haybale display by the grocery entrance. Also, the formerly yellow awnings on the one faux-cade are turning Meijer Royal Blue.

Digital signage at the gas station, too.

Back to M@C...

On yesterday's visit there was a royal blue shirt & tie re-arranging a fall harvest apple display. Looks like the heirarchy goes: plain polo shirt, striped shirt with logo, blue shirt with logo (and tie), suit.

Had a nice chat with someone in a unique position to know...he said that this is not a one-off store, but a test for higher-end upscale areas. Fred might implement one in each major market (Chicago, Indianapolis, Southfield). Said they get more managers and high-end execs in there shopping (not mystery shopping) than any other branch. Said that Himself comes in for his haircuts!

Said that the makeover has little to do with Fresh Market opening right down the street, but their unique position between the Ada high-rollers and the bus-rider sort of clientele. (I am paraphrasing. we all know that ITP doesn't go to Cascade Twp.)

Go check out the harvest haybale display by the grocery entrance. Also, the formerly yellow awnings on the one faux-cade are turning Meijer Royal Blue.

Digital signage at the gas station, too.

The posh M@C prototype being aimed for markets with deep pockets sounds about right. Darn you rich people for getting all the good stuff! <_< Just kidding. :) Anyway, I'm happy with the Standale store and the improved Alpine store as they are perfectly great stores that will serve my household well for at least another 10 to 15 years.

Edit... Just put in M@C's meat and seafood offering in my local Meijer stores. ....I beg you, almighty Fred!

Edited by tamias6