Meijer

So I've been extremely bored the last couple days and thought I'd like to make a sketchup of what I'd like to see a Meijer store look like. Feel free to comment or criticize - I just do it for fun :)

It's not entirely finished I wanted to make a point about improving the parking lot but haven't figured out exactly how to do that yet. My main goal was to not have a meijer store look like a big blank wall with two stacks of glass. Oh, and more greenery :thumbsup:

Oh and for anyone that's asking - the fred's bistro thing was my idea of bring the deli to the front of the store in conjunction with the purple cow and have an outdoor cafe

I like the idea of an outdoor eating area. The bike racks and the terminal is a real 'green' touch. The Walk-in pharmacy is very clever. I could see your model work well as an exterior for the Meijer at Cascade prototype.

I like the idea of an outdoor eating area. The bike racks and the terminal is a real 'green' touch. The Walk-in pharmacy is very clever. I could see your model work well as an exterior for the Meijer at Cascade prototype.

Thank you - it's a start really - I couldn't decide which store on google earth to use so I'm actually using the rockford store on this one...particularly because I like the round parking lot shape - I think that should be incorporated into all the store parking lots. I think the old alpine store is on there which is smaller - maybe I'll try a smaller store since that appears to be what meijer has been doing lately.

I'm starting to think now that it's looking a little too busy. Maybe not. The one adjustment that I am thinking of doing is to move the bike racks over to the bus station and put it all in one. Or swap the mobile transit with the bistro. I dunno I'll play around with it some more :lol:

My next fun project will be to try a downtown store. Any suggestions for any elements that should be in a downtown store as far as bus stations, looks, parking, etc...

Yeah someone I know that works at Meijer said that all the stores will eventually have the electronic boards - not ASAP or anything but soon.

Ok so I did some revamping on my project (somewhat)

2055799765_c4e98c8208_o.jpg

2056585652_d2ec868aea_o.jpg

2055799875_4929f39e4f_o.jpg

2055799925_608d1485d8_o.jpg

2055799985_b219a822ef_o.jpg

2056585910_0e377d2521_o.jpg

2055800179_dd612d3e31_o.jpg

I thought it'd be a better idea to bring the e4 into play in the front and give it some attention...

now on to the interior!

Edited by blueradon

^ Some info to consider when doing a Meijer interior.

* Grocery Aisles are 8' wide x 100' long. The shelving units of the grocery Aisles are a total of 6 feet wide, 7' tall, and 100' long. So space the aisles at 14' feet on center.

* Give the last Grocery aisle a width of 10'

* The action alley between the grocery aisles and the side wall containing meats and seafood is 12' wide.

* All wall coolers are 3' deep by 7' high and very in length

* The meat coolers, and produce displays are 4' tall.

* The cases in the deli, meat, and seafoods, are 4' tall. The pastry cases in the bakery are 3' feet tall.

* A standard Meijer store will have 16 grocery asiles.

* The action alleys (the walkways forming the race track around the store) are 18' wide. The gondolas and displays placed in the center of the action alleys are 4' wide and very in length from 4'- 10'. They also very in height, but are generally 4' to 5' high

is

* The aisles in the retail section are 6' wide by 40' long. Their shelving units are 8' tall, 40' long, and 4' wide. So space these aisles 10' on center.

* The narrowest aisles, found in the pharmacy, H&B, Shoes, and many areas in the clothing are 5' wide and very in length.

* The Pharmacy workroom and counters are enclosed in a space 32' wide by 18' deep.

* In the retail section parameter aisles feature 8' high by 3' deep shelving units while the walkway between those shelfing units and interior aisles is 8' wide.

* The checkout cue up area and the front promenade are 18' wide.

* A standard Meijer store features 30' check out lanes. That includes 6 U-Scanners in a 3x3 configuration, 4' large order self checkout lanes, the two tobacco lanes, and 18' standard lanes.

* Generally, a standard checkout lane is 4' wide by 16' long while lanes are spaced 7' on center.

* The space at the front of the store housing the customer service desk and in-store tenants is 24' feet deep.

* The grocery and retail entrance's are the same in dimensions. They are 28' feet deep with four feet protruding beyond the store front by 4'. They are 24' wide. Each entry features two 8' wide automatic slider style doors, one for entering, the other for exiting.

* Remember, the Grocery and Retail entrances are mirror images of each other. One enters the store via the doors farthest away from the main store sign while one exits closest to the store sign.

* Bottle returns are located in the grocery entrance while restrooms are located in the retail entrance.

If you have questions PM me.

Oh Yeah... I wanted to throw this in

The interior layout of the Alpine Meijer

2056874198_4b0df34361_o.jpg

Edited by tamias6
  • Like 1

From the Great Lakes Roads forum - Petoskey - here we come. http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2007/...news/news01.txt

It's about time. According to some family friends living in the Petosky Area, the locals are basically on their hands and knees begging for a Meijer store.

Rendering from Article...

news01cd1.jpg

The Proposal looks like a hybrid of the New Birch Run Meijer under construction and the new Plainfield Ave. store. The color scheme needs a little tweaking and some landscaping included around the building. Other than that this rendering looks great.

Being there are allot of high income folks in the area, I wonder if this proposed Meijer will include many of the elements of Meijer at Cascade?

Wow! I was at my parent's house in Boyne City and by the time the newspaper got to their house and I logged in to post the article, there was already a link....

Your comment in regards to a lot of high income folk in the area is a little off base. While yes, Bay Harbor does have some VERY high income folk, those homes are only occupied about 50% of the time. Bay View is another ritzy area, but once again, summertime only.

The average median household income for Petoskey is $37,273 with average income per capita being $19,417. Petoskey is higher than the surrounding towns of Harbor Springs, Boyne City, East Jordan, Charlevoix and all of the other tiny villages around there.

Cascade is sitting at $50,544 & $26,109... much higher than the income levels for up north.

Wow! I was at my parent's house in Boyne City and by the time the newspaper got to their house and I logged in to post the article, there was already a link....

Your comment in regards to a lot of high income folk in the area is a little off base. While yes, Bay Harbor does have some VERY high income folk, those homes are only occupied about 50% of the time. Bay View is another ritzy area, but once again, summertime only.

The average median household income for Petoskey is $37,273 with average income per capita being $19,417. Petoskey is higher than the surrounding towns of Harbor Springs, Boyne City, East Jordan, Charlevoix and all of the other tiny villages around there.

Cascade is sitting at $50,544 & $26,109... much higher than the income levels for up north.

Yeah. I was thinking of Bay Harbor and the million dollar palaces all along the bay. I keep forgetting they are summer only for the most part.

Hard to catch UP asleep at the keyboard!

Keep in mind the fudgie demographic. Boyne Country might have some exit polls pertaining to their customers.

I agree the fudgie demographic up north is a cruicial one as it fuels the economy, but from my experience, most wealthy fudgies would rather go to the 'mom & pop' stores when they can to get the full experience of being in the great up north, not the same box store they could go to at home.

I hope this gets built quickly. I'm sick of going to Wal-Mart when visiting my parents... Don't get me wrong, it was the greatest thing ever when it was built, but I've seen the light since moving to Fred's Country!

Since Meijer @ Cascade was transformed from a normal Meijer store into the chain's undisputed and luxurious Flagship store, it debuted a supercenter prototype unlike anything Meijer has ever created before. But there is one tiny problem. Meijer @ Cascade was mostly an interior only renovations. Only a few minor revisions were made to the exterior to give indication that the store was indeed upgraded. This has left the store prototype, as a design without an exterior plan. So that rises the following question. What would a brand new store look like if it were build under the Meijer @ Cascade prototype. Well I had some spare time. So here is my idea of an exterior that would be a nice fit for Meijer @ Cascade's interior.

The standard Meijer store with it's eyebrow entrances is suppose to invoke a welcoming and fresh design with a touch of retro styling. Though fine in of itself, we are dealing with a Flagship interior so a Flagship exterior is what's needed. The basic design is loosely based on the new Birch Run Meijer under construction, the Knapp Corner store, and exterior revisions made to Meijer @ Cascade's entrances.

2064982100_bdf262af07_b.jpg

2064189373_2f629d8324_b.jpg

These next two overhead shots reveal that the store is the same basic shape as a standard Meijer store. Meijer at Cascade is over 240,000 sq ft making it the largest store in Meijer's chain. However a Meijer @ Cascade like store built anew, though very large, would be smaller in size than Meijer @ Cascade due to refinements made to the prototype made possible by building anew. Also Meijer would most likely attempt to design the prototype into a standard store's foot print to reduce costs. My design is 220,000 sq. ft. which is quite large when compared to new Meijer stores being built now.

2064985544_55b852f080_b.jpg

Also note that I better blended the refrigeration lean to into the rest of the building by making its walls the same height as the rest of the building. I've also hidden the cooling plants by extending the wall around them. This gives the grocery side of the building a much cleaner and more attractive look. One last thing. I Have opted for a flat roof instead of a slated roof to make expansion in any direction easier since Meijer would be constantly making revisions to keep its flagship store at the top of its game.

2064190855_2a54701dab_b.jpg

The garden center. Other than replacing the front canopy with a faux green house for an enhanced look, its pretty much the same as what its found at any new Meijer store.

2064985020_f5c5e47945_b.jpg

Taking cues from the modifications made to Meijer @ Cascade I topped both entrances with entablatures and heavy cornices to provide a formal impression. However the glass curtain walls, which I also extended to the cart rooms for more interior lighting, keeps the design modern and not so over stuffed. Also following Meijer @ Cascade's lead I've emblazoned the entrances with "Meijer Home" and "Meijer Fresh" signs.

Meijer Home

2064982684_bbb8694244_b.jpg

Meijer Fresh

2064189035_6d762561c8_b.jpg

Taking cues from the center section of the Knapp Corner store I inserted windows under the sign board to squeeze more transparency.

2064188499_5c9cf1f53e_b.jpg

Since Meijer @ Cascade was transformed from a normal Meijer store into the chain's undisputed and luxurious Flagship store, it debuted a supercenter prototype unlike anything Meijer has ever created before. But there is one tiny problem. Meijer @ Cascade was mostly an interior only renovations. Only a few minor revisions were made to the exterior to give indication that the store was indeed upgraded. This has left the store prototype, as a design without an exterior plan. So that rises the following question. What would a brand new store look like if it were build under the Meijer @ Cascade prototype. Well I had some spare time. So here is my idea of an exterior that would be a nice fit for Meijer @ Cascade's interior. ...

Think they'd dump the faux-cades? (Also, need some bike racks!)

Think they'd dump the faux-cades? (Also, need some bike racks!)

'fraid so. The fuax-facades were a part of the defunct "Village Square Prototype" (also debuted by the Cascade store). One of the reasons Meijer axed that particular prototype after a short run was the shear expense of building it. I believe the fuax facades had allot to do with that. Although one part of the exterior revisions made to the cascade store in its transformation into Meijer @ Cascade was the addition of a new faux facade applied to the Pharmacy Drive up area. So maybe if Meijer were to build new Flagship stores using the Meijer @ Cascade prototype, a reincarnated and refined version of the Village Square exterior would not be out of the question. After all Meijer seemed to spare no expense in M@C's beautiful interior.

I like blueradon's idea of putting more of an emphasis on E4. I would like Meijer to develop it more into a Gamespot type area rather then a half-tilt effort that they have going on now.

Take a look at the game demo area in Meijer @ Cascade's consumer's electronics and entertainment dept. It features a special alcove accommodating game demo kiosks where costumers can demo games from all three major game consoles. Also one can demo hand held's tethered to the video game display cases.

Kind of off topic but here in the Muskegon area Meijer announced plans this week to overhaul their oldest store in the Muskegon market, the Norton Shores-Henry St location. As Walmart opened across the street from this location last year there had been some concern that the store might close up, but this announcement puts that to rest.

Muskegon Chronicle Story

This follows on the heels on an interesting article published on Sunday about Muskegon area shopping habits, which shows that Meijer has thrived in spite of the recent entry of Wal-Mart into the market. Unfortunately that article wasn't on Mlive.

Kind of off topic but here in the Muskegon area Meijer announced plans this week to overhaul their oldest store in the Muskegon market, the Norton Shores-Henry St location. As Walmart opened across the street from this location last year there had been some concern that the store might close up, but this announcement puts that to rest.

Muskegon Chronicle Story

This follows on the heels on an interesting article published on Sunday about Muskegon area shopping habits, which shows that Meijer has thrived in spite of the recent entry of Wal-Mart into the market. Unfortunately that article wasn't on Mlive.

It's a shame that Muskegon is 30 miles away from where I live. I would love to keep tabs on this pending remodel. The Alpine Ave. store renovation was a very ambitious affair that affected the entire store from top to bottom. A 20,000 square foot addition was grafted on the south side of the building and the entrances relocated. But the stock rooms, loading docks, and mechanicals are in their same basic locations as before the remodel. Also the location of groceries and retail sections are the same.

The Muskegon store is a whole different ball of wax. To pull off a retrofit to the latest format will be a huge challenge. First most of the store's vital infrastructure is situated on the Henry St. side. Secondly, if memory serves me correctly the Grocery section is along that side of the store as well with retail along the US 31 side. This means that infrastructure, everything from loading docks to refrigeration plants has to be moved. In addition the store layout will have to be rotated 90 degrees. All of this would need to be done while the store remains open 24/7.

My only worry about the reconfiguration is parking. Once the store faces Henry St, most of the parking will be along the sides of the reconfigured store as opposed along the front as is in newly built stores. That might make for long walks for customers.

But my overall reply to this remodel is it will surely be a difficult one. But if Meijer can pull it off. It could bring hopes for other very old stores....say the 28th street and Kalamazoo Ave. store.

For those of you that shop at the Muskegon Meijer located on Henry St. I've created this sketchup model illustrating what your Meijer store may look like once its renovation is complete. This model is based on the Alpine Ave. Meijer renovation. However as drastic of a renovation the Alpine Ave. store has been, the Muskegon location will be even more dramatic. Therefore Meijer is essentially starting from a clean slate on many aspects of this pending remodel. So the store front and north side of the store is based on the replacement store being constructed at the Plainfield Ave. location.

Let's begin...

This is new store front as viewed from the SW corner of the property. Currently most of the store's vital infrastructure such as loading docks, refrigeration plants, and mechanicals are located on the west side of the store. However, all of that along with several thousand square feet of the building will be demolished to make way for the new store front which will face the recently opened Wal-Mart supercenter directing across Henry Street.

2074877028_120652e583_b.jpg

This is a view of the new store front from the NW corner of the property. Facing the new store front from Henry St., groceries will be to one's left hand while retail and the garden center will be to the right hand.

2074877474_0c46959e8f_b.jpg

This is a view of the store's north side from the south bound lanes of US 31.

Since I'm predicting Groceries will be moved to the north side of the building, all new infrastructure will need to be build. So the north side of the building will closely resemble the grocery side wall of a newly built store complete with loading docks and refrigeration lean-to.

2074878008_f2b2a5b656_b.jpg

This is a view of the SE corner of the store from the north bound lanes of US 31. The only thing left of the original will be the two loading docks. Other than that, expect a drastic change here as the two south facing entrances will be sealed off and replaced with a new garden center.

2074085097_a7176da103_b.jpg

This a view of the south side of the store. Both south facing entrances will be sealed off to make way for a new garden center.

2074084927_883f1e4dab_b.jpg

As seen in this over head view, the southern most 32 ft of the store features a higher roof than the rest of the store. The front facade will hide this unsightly difference by extending to varying heights above the roof. This may also mean that Meijer may not opted for an exposed open truss ceiling as it does for new stores. Instead expect the varying ceiling heights to be hidden by an 18' high drop ceiling through out the sales floor.

2074878204_316e14894f_b.jpg

This is an over head view predicting the reconfiguration of the Meijer property. Meijer plans to allocate two sections of its property as two out lots to be sold off to non-competing businesses. Expect the first outlot to be located to the store's south side next to a rebuilt Meijer Gas Station and the second out lot along the property's northern edge behind an existing gas station.

2074084579_12f42fbc06_b.jpg

Even though Meijer has not shown any official renderings, this prediction, based on other Meijer renovations I've observed, should provide a fairly good idea of what to expect when the Muskegon store is renovated.

Edited by tamias6

OK, M@C, I am unhappy.

Pumpkin pies should be out on the floor 24/7, not hidden away in back where ya have to ask for them.

And please lose those plastic pie boxes. The pasteboard looks much classier, and fits into the recycle bins.

Had a similar problem a couple months ago, only it was apple pies.

I got routed to an MSN live search page, is the link still active?

Nonetheless, its interesting to see Mejier planning more stores out of state. It seems as if they've recently began pushing that way with several new stores in Indiana, Ohio and now Kentucky.

I wonder which state they enter in next; Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, W. Virginia or Philadelphia?

The link looks like it is active again.

An so the Meijer/ Acme Twp. saga continues...

Article

Personally I think the Record Eagle is using this article to paint Meijer as an evil corporate bad guy hell bent on destroying Acme Twp. But anyway according to this article one of the Twp. Board members won a 3 million dollar lawsuit against Meijer for attempts to force him out of office to make way for the new store for the area. IMO, this kind of corporate strong arming sounds completely out of Meijer's character. So I hope Meijer is able to appeal. But even though there is a strong need for a store in that area I'm beginning to wonder is it would be in Meijer's best interest to cease further efforts to build in Acme. I don't think its worth the PR risk esp. when Meijer could simply build somewhere outside of the Twp.

Better yet Meijer could expand the nearby Traverse City store. After all the whole point of the proposed Acme store is to relieve the severely overcrowded Traverse City store with additional retail space. That could be achieved without dealing with the struggles of Acme. Also I think it would be much easier, red tape wise, to expand and upgrade an existing store than building a new one. (Looks Like another Meijer Sketchup model is coming up.).

Ether way I hope Meijer and Acme will come to terms soon.