Meijer

Maybe Meijer decided to cut its losses by dropping the proposed Acme store. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Meijer decided not to build another store in the greater Traverse City area for the foreseeable future as it might be too afraid to open up another can of worms there. It this point Meijer's best move beside patching things up with Acme is to make due with what they got. That is renovating the existing Traverse City store to the current format.

I think that with the lawsuits dropped Meijer should take advantage of this small window of "goodwill" and get this store done.

I think that with the lawsuits dropped Meijer should take advantage of this small window of "goodwill" and get this store done.

On paper, that sounds like a good move. But given all the developments of the Acme Saga, that would depend on how locals currently feel about any continued efforts by Meijer to build a store in Acme or at least in the Greater Traverse City area. I have plenty of friends and family that live in northern Mchigan. If locals are like them, one will find two aspects about them. One, they are a forgiving people esp. if one truthfully admits to being in the wrong. Meijer openly admitted that it may have indeed violated the campaign funding laws when it backed the recall efforts in Acme. So being truthful may play in Meijer's favor. But on the flip side there is the second aspect. Trust is a precious commodity that has to be earned. By funding the recall efforts, Meijer played a dirty trick. That does not bode well in earning trust from locals. So in essence it all depends on what will be the overriding influence as to how Meijer would be welcomed, forgiveness or trust. Until recently, Traverse City's newspaper, the Record Eagle, has been doing a bang up job of casting Meijer as an evil faceless corporation-- a Walmart clone if you will. The actions of the paper may sway the locals towards the earning of trust. Therefore if Meijer has to earn the trust of locals, Meijer is facing a massive uphill battle.

However the proposed Petosky store may be Meijer's redemption. That is if Meijer treats Petosky gently and complies to any conditions city planners may pose. Thus far Meijer has done so.

The irony is that it sounds like enough people in Acme actually do want some kind of Meijer store in their community. Not sure from a planning perspective if what Acme wants/demands will ever pencil with a site plan Meijer can make work financially, but seems to me the next step needs to more a bit more visible corrective action and outreach by Meijer.

While technically admitting some likely wrongdoing, sort of, perhaps, maybe, they haven't exactly bent over backwards to regain trust. Meijer has not announced any changes that would indicate corrective action -- no announced policy fixes, staff or consultant firings -- and they have not made any human effort to connect with residents. Without that effort, you can't really expect forgiveness.

Perhaps all of the above will happen after the investigations are over, but the longer Meijer stays cold and distant in apparent denial, the harder it will be for local shoppers to see any difference between Walker, Mich. and Bentonville, Ark.

Edited by 201test

The irony is that it sounds like enough people in Acme actually do want some kind of Meijer store in their community. Not sure from a planning perspective if what Acme wants/demands will ever pencil with a site plan Meijer can make work financially, but seems to me the next step needs to more a bit more visible corrective action and outreach by Meijer.

While technically admitting some likely wrongdoing, sort of, perhaps, maybe, they haven't exactly bent over backwards to regain trust. Meijer has not announced any changes that would indicate corrective action -- no announced policy fixes, staff or consultant firings -- and they have not made any human effort to connect with residents. Without that effort, you can't really expect forgiveness.

Perhaps all of the above will happen after the investigations are over, but the longer Meijer stays cold and distant in apparent denial, the harder it will be for local shoppers to see any difference between Walker, Mich. and Bentonville, Ark.

The internal investigation Meijer is conduct is still ongoing. We probably won't see any corrective action from Meijer until at least the internal investigation is complete. Though I agree that Meijer should be imperative in outreaching to Acme and patching things up.

Just to change the subject a bit here. I went into a relatively new Meijer in Schaumburg over the weekend, and was very disappointed. It was the smaller format store, similar to the Grandville one next to the mall. But as soon as you walked in to the store on the grocery end, a waft of rotting produce filled the air. It also had more of a Wal-Mart feeling to me, with dirty floors and merchandise disorderly. The wine selection was quite pathetic compared to Knapp's Corner, where we usually go. And then finally, as I was checking out in the self-check lanes (which were the old style ones that are staggered and crowded with candy racks, etc., as opposed to the new "runway" self check system), and the clerk working the self-check area made ME go walk over to him to show him my ID. :rolleyes:

If Meijer is going to venture into more and larger markets, they've got to step up on setting store standards, IMO. So that the experience is consistent from store-to-store.

Just to change the subject a bit here. I went into a relatively new Meijer in Schaumburg ...

Hope you dropped in on Rizzo!

... the clerk working the self-check area made ME go walk over to him to show him my ID. :rolleyes: ...

One of the funniest things I've ever experienced at Fred: I was in line behind a fellow buying some booze. At that point in the transaction he turned to the U-scan clerk and graciously lifted his hat, thereby displaying his thinning grey hair.

It worked.

Just to change the subject a bit here. I went into a relatively new Meijer in Schaumburg over the weekend, and was very disappointed. It was the smaller format store, similar to the Grandville one next to the mall. But as soon as you walked in to the store on the grocery end, a waft of rotting produce filled the air. It also had more of a Wal-Mart feeling to me, with dirty floors and merchandise disorderly. The wine selection was quite pathetic compared to Knapp's Corner, where we usually go. And then finally, as I was checking out in the self-check lanes (which were the old style ones that are staggered and crowded with candy racks, etc., as opposed to the new "runway" self check system), and the clerk working the self-check area made ME go walk over to him to show him my ID. :rolleyes:

If Meijer is going to venture into more and larger markets, they've got to step up on setting store standards, IMO. So that the experience is consistent from store-to-store.

Over the weekend in Schaumburg? Coming over near the house and you don't write or call :lol:

Your experience really stuck out in my head. Reading your post I was nodding my head up and down with a chuckle.

We were there last weekend too. It's sad, because it wasn't always that bad. Ever since late November the floors started going on the way side, bare shelves -- which seem to be a good indicator of store management's direction and priorities. Won't shop there for veggies, fruit or meat. Don't go near the meat and deli section. One of the things I learned from ma is that chicken shouldn't smell. :sick:

Edited by Rizzo

Over the weekend in Schaumburg? Coming over near the house and you don't write or call :lol:

Your experience really stuck out in my head. Reading your post I was nodding my head up and down with a chuckle.

We were there last weekend too. It's sad, because it wasn't always that bad. Ever since late November the floors started going on the way side, bare shelves -- which seem to be a good indicator of store management's direction and priorities. Won't shop there for veggies, fruit or meat. Don't go near the meat and deli section. One of the things I learned from ma is that chicken shouldn't smell. :sick:

Yes, neither should fish. Or at least, just barely.

I waved from the train. :hi:

Over the weekend I was in Muskegon. I spot a meijer store there on the way to the holiday inn hotel. I didn't go there that day, but today, I was looking for the Grand Rapids Press and I decided that I would go in there to find the paper. Of course, they don't have GR Press, but their own paper. Anyways, I'm not exactly sure what street the meijer store is on, but there's another street nearby that is Henry. That store in a way looks like the exhisting plainfield meijer store, but not built as the same exact plainfield store. It has a mezzanine floor that didn't have much on it, but it's rather huge. The muskegon store has not yet been remodeled to the latest corporate format. I am however not sure if that particular store can be remodeled to meijer's latest corporate format. But something I noticed is that the main concourses and the rear concourse are different by far. It seems as if the retail concourse going to tbe back is much longer than of any other meijer store that I've been in. The rear concourse is shorter. But as I said, the store has not been remodeled to the latest format, there's drop ceilings in the clothing and retail section of the store that are producing really dim lighting, the grocery section looked like it had 18 Aisles, but you will only see up to #15 There are 29 checkout lanes up front and I know there are checkout lanes in the back of the store, but not sure of how many. There is a rear entrance as well. Grocery section of the store is on the left while the retail is on the right. The guest services desk is to the right of the retail entrance. So tamias, if you can, could you check to see if that particular store could take a remodel to the latest corporate format and also to find out how big it is as well? I also did not see a meijer gas station on the property, but then again, it maybe somewhere.

Edit: It's the store located on 700 Norton Ave in Norton Shores

Edited by pcdoctor

Over the weekend I was in Muskegon. I spot a meijer store there on the way to the holiday inn hotel. I didn't go there that day, but today, I was looking for the Grand Rapids Press and I decided that I would go in there to find the paper. Of course, they don't have GR Press, but their own paper. Anyways, I'm not exactly sure what street the meijer store is on, but there's another street nearby that is Henry. That store in a way looks like the exhisting plainfield meijer store, but not built as the same exact plainfield store. It has a mezzanine floor that didn't have much on it, but it's rather huge. The muskegon store has not yet been remodeled to the latest corporate format. I am however not sure if that particular store can be remodeled to meijer's latest corporate format. But something I noticed is that the main concourses and the rear concourse are different by far. It seems as if the retail concourse going to tbe back is much longer than of any other meijer store that I've been in. The rear concourse is shorter. But as I said, the store has not been remodeled to the latest format, there's drop ceilings in the clothing and retail section of the store that are producing really dim lighting, the grocery section looked like it had 18 Aisles, but you will only see up to #15 There are 29 checkout lanes up front and I know there are checkout lanes in the back of the store, but not sure of how many. There is a rear entrance as well. Grocery section of the store is on the left while the retail is on the right. The guest services desk is to the right of the retail entrance. So tamias, if you can, could you check to see if that particular store could take a remodel to the latest corporate format and also to find out how big it is as well? I also did not see a meijer gas station on the property, but then again, it maybe somewhere.

Edit: It's the store located on 700 Norton Ave in Norton Shores

The answer to your question starts at post #747 in this thread.

Edited by highwayguy

The answer to your question starts at post #747 in this thread.

Well I just read about that particular meijer store and I'm not sure how I totatally missed that, but wow. That will indeed be an extensive remodel to the store. It would maybe best to tear it all down and start over from scratch. If only I lived around the area or if someone lived around there, would like to know of all the updates that go on with that store. Is the mezzanine being taken out as well?

Edited by pcdoctor

If this is true Meijer might be heading to Manistee.

They also received final approval for a store in Lyon Township. Article

That makes me sad when super centers look at small towns like Manistee. There are only two grocery stores in Manistee, and I doubt either would survive either a Meijer or a Walmart. The only large chain in Manistee is Kmart, and they aren't doing that great either.

From http://enodiamond.livejournal.com:

As we were preparing for our recent show in Traverse City I became aware of a recent indiscretion made by the Meijer Corporation that had alot of TC residents up in arms regarding an illegal land grab that Meijer has since admitted guilt to. I asked our amazing and talented Danny Taber if he could whip up a short video to be projected in the theatre as a "warm up" to our show that touched on the recent events and made good fun of Fred Meijer- I was sure that it would get the audience prepared for the experience that is Super Happy Funtime Burlesque.

Here are the amazing results:

[satire! NSFW, some bad language, fun is made of Lena...these are the folks who got in trouble with the re-animated corpse of Gerald R. Ford character]

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news to all of you out there:

Meijer is no longer going to have small animals such as guinea pigs, birds and other species of small animals. They will however still continue to carry fish overthere. Was at Alpine today and noticed a big sign covering those old cages and asked a guy and he said that they discontinued having those types of Animals. If you want animals like that, go on down the road to petco.

Sad news to all of you out there:

Meijer is no longer going to have small animals such as guinea pigs, birds and other species of small animals. They will however still continue to carry fish overthere. Was at Alpine today and noticed a big sign covering those old cages and asked a guy and he said that they discontinued having those types of Animals. If you want animals like that, go on down the road to petco.

Meijer @ Cascade was first to drop live pets. That store did so over the course of last year's remodel. I don't think live pets are going to be missed by too many people as they seemed to be very slow to move when it came to sales and thus may have not generated a profit for Meijer. As much as the family and I shop at Meijer, I only remember buying a couple of fish to add to our aquarium we had at the time. But that was over 15 years ago. Currently we depend on Meijer's pet dept. for toys accessories and litter for our cat. My only real gripe about Meijer's pet dept. is I wish they carried Science Diet. I have to go all the way to Grandville to get that.

Edited by tamias6