Meijer

Okay, so here is what it looks like Meijer is doing in 2009 and 2010 so far.

2009 NEW STORES

Delaware, OH Article

Marion, IN Article

Hartland, MI Article

Cedar Springs, MI Article

Gaylord, MI Article

2010 NEW STORES

Anson, IN Article PDF

Plainfield, IN Mentioned above.

Romeoville, IL Article

Richmond, KY Article

Homer Glen, IL Article

Jamestown Township, MI Article

Swartz Creek, MI Article

Petoskey, MI Already talked about in this topic

The construction is pretty much done at the Clyde Park Meijer. The new bottleroom as actually situated outside. I think that is very convenient... I always hate going all the way to milk and cheese just to drop off some bottles.

They have replaced the old U-Scan lanes on both the few north south side checkouts and have added no-limit stations to the south side. They still need to replace the old tiles in the U-Scan lanes. They are quite dismal and dirty.

The cafe is complete, but it's kind of bland... just a long strip of tables and chairs sitting along the windows.

The bakery is finally lit, and boy is it bright. It's like 3x brighter than the rest of the store. But I'm guessing this is because the ceiling is so low at that particular spot.

And at last, all of the meat and frozen food coolers have been replaced and all the construction there is gone. The frozen foods section is a lot colder, and there is more selection of meats to choose from. :)

Okay, so here is what it looks like Meijer is doing in 2009 and 2010 so far.

2009 NEW STORES

Delaware, OH Article

Marion, IN Article

Hartland, MI Article

Cedar Springs, MI Article

Gaylord, MI Article

2010 NEW STORES

Anson, IN Article PDF

Plainfield, IN Mentioned above.

Romeoville, IL Article

Richmond, KY Article

Homer Glen, IL Article

Jamestown Township, MI Article

Swartz Creek, MI Article

Petoskey, MI Already talked about in this topic

The article about the Marion, IN store peeked my interest. According to that one, Meijer is planning to locate the grocery section in the center of the store where clothing would normally be then surround the groceries with retail. Wow!! Think of all the adjacencies that could be accomplished from such a configuration.

Well Folks:

Tonight I ventured into Meijer at Cascade. It's the first time that I've been in there since like 1996 or so. When I went in back in 96, I was only in one of the vestibles briefly for an ATM Visit, then left. But I was amazed at what I saw once I entered the store. Folks, this is not your ordinary meijer store that you've been in. I'd have to shop there several times before I knew everything at that store. I really like the graphics program that the store uses. One will still find some of the David Rockwell prototype in there such as the grocery aisle numbers, directory signs and the checkout lane numbers. However, the checkout lane numbers were blue.

There are 20 grocery aisles, however Aisles 1-11 are mainly food items otherwise known as non taxable items and aisles 12-20 are taxed item stuff such as household cleaners, soaps and detergents. However, one will notice that most of the aisles are not like your ordinary meijer. Aisles 12-20 were shorter aisles.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm told the main grocery concourse goes down the middle of the grocery section. On one side there would be wines, then coffees, then the juices at the back, and on the other side, there was your regular grocery aisles 1-11.

Bottle return and restrooms were located in the back of the store. There were other restrooms in the grocery entrance vestible.

One thing I learned about Meijer at Cascade is that it carrys some products that other meijer stores do not carry. An example is Heinz Geniune Dill Pickles. Something that Alpine used to have before it's remodel, but no longer has now.

I really enjoyed a lot of the expanded sections such as pets, e4, and the Health and Beauty Care Aisles. They also had some sort of sports section which maybe sporting goods in the front of the store. It has some TV's that were on and a lot of sporty type stuff.

The floors of the store were in exceptional shape. I didn't really care for the gray or some of the brownish tiles, however tiles in the wine section and other sections looked rather cool.

There are 37 checkout lanes, Lanes 1-6 are express u scan lanes, 7-10 are full size u scans, 11 and 12 is the convience center formally known as the tobacco center, 13-31 as regular checkout lanes, 32-37 are also u scan express lanes.

I really would wish other meijer stores would have this type of prototype, but it would be rather costly to remodel all the meijer stores to the prototype meijer at cascade has.

Also, how big is Meijer at Cascade?

Well there's my input on the store.

Well Folks:

Tonight I ventured into Meijer at Cascade. It's the first time that I've been in there since like 1996 or so. When I went in back in 96, I was only in one of the vestibles briefly for an ATM Visit, then left. But I was amazed at what I saw once I entered the store. Folks, this is not your ordinary meijer store that you've been in. I'd have to shop there several times before I knew everything at that store. I really like the graphics program that the store uses. One will still find some of the David Rockwell prototype in there such as the grocery aisle numbers, directory signs and the checkout lane numbers. However, the checkout lane numbers were blue.

There are 20 grocery aisles, however Aisles 1-11 are mainly food items otherwise known as non taxable items and aisles 12-20 are taxed item stuff such as household cleaners, soaps and detergents. However, one will notice that most of the aisles are not like your ordinary meijer. Aisles 12-20 were shorter aisles.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm told the main grocery concourse goes down the middle of the grocery section. On one side there would be wines, then coffees, then the juices at the back, and on the other side, there was your regular grocery aisles 1-11.

Bottle return and restrooms were located in the back of the store. There were other restrooms in the grocery entrance vestible.

One thing I learned about Meijer at Cascade is that it carrys some products that other meijer stores do not carry. An example is Heinz Geniune Dill Pickles. Something that Alpine used to have before it's remodel, but no longer has now.

I really enjoyed a lot of the expanded sections such as pets, e4, and the Health and Beauty Care Aisles. They also had some sort of sports section which maybe sporting goods in the front of the store. It has some TV's that were on and a lot of sporty type stuff.

The floors of the store were in exceptional shape. I didn't really care for the gray or some of the brownish tiles, however tiles in the wine section and other sections looked rather cool.

There are 37 checkout lanes, Lanes 1-6 are express u scan lanes, 7-10 are full size u scans, 11 and 12 is the convience center formally known as the tobacco center, 13-31 as regular checkout lanes, 32-37 are also u scan express lanes.

I really would wish other meijer stores would have this type of prototype, but it would be rather costly to remodel all the meijer stores to the prototype meijer at cascade has.

Also, how big is Meijer at Cascade?

Well there's my input on the store.

I've been the M@C three times since it debuted its current store layout. Each time I was there I'm blown away by the place. Meijer definitely went all out with the cascade store. Unfortunately meijer has no plans to propagate this format through out its chain. Though I wish they do. Meijer at Cascade would crush Walmart and give Target a run for its money. Anyway Meijer @ Cascade is to be a one of a kind flagship store. But one will find various elements of Meijer @ cascade at many other stores namely the tea section, slight modifications to e4's product offerings as well as meat and seafood offerings.

Just a bank for right now. The rest of the outlot is not being developed yet apparently

From Press' community news page:

ADA/CASCADE: An Indianapolis developer plans to build a $4.5 million retail center on the site of the vacant Golden Dragon Restaurant in front of the Cascade Meijer Inc. store on the northwest corner of Kraft Avenue and 28th Street SE. The Cascade Township Planning Commission approved a site plan for the 20,200-square-foot retail center, which is just beginning to firm up leases with tenants, said Greg Fulk, of Indianapolis-based Paragon General Construction Inc. The company earlier sought approval for a bank on the site, but sold a portion to Consumers Credit Union to build a 3,500-square-foot branch, Fulk said.

From Press' community news page:

ADA/CASCADE: An Indianapolis developer plans to build a $4.5 million retail center on the site of the vacant Golden Dragon Restaurant in front of the Cascade Meijer Inc. store on the northwest corner of Kraft Avenue and 28th Street SE. The Cascade Township Planning Commission approved a site plan for the 20,200-square-foot retail center, which is just beginning to firm up leases with tenants, said Greg Fulk, of Indianapolis-based Paragon General Construction Inc. The company earlier sought approval for a bank on the site, but sold a portion to Consumers Credit Union to build a 3,500-square-foot branch, Fulk said.

Ooooh, I cannot wait to assess their sidewalk layouts and curb cuts. Wonder if the local site plan reviewers have learned from the Fountain Plaza experiment.

I like that the majority of Meijer's 2010 stores are slated for out-of state. That leaves me out of luck here in Washington, but I do enjoy the outward growth... finally!

So with the Ohio/Ky stores and the IN/IL stores being added does a metro like Chicago get a new distro center to expand into IL/IA/WI/MN happen first or a metro Cincy distro center to move further east into Ohio, KY, TN and eastern VA/NC/PA?

I like that the majority of Meijer's 2010 stores are slated for out-of state. That leaves me out of luck here in Washington, but I do enjoy the outward growth... finally!

So with the Ohio/Ky stores and the IN/IL stores being added does a metro like Chicago get a new distro center to expand into IL/IA/WI/MN happen first or a metro Cincy distro center to move further east into Ohio, KY, TN and eastern VA/NC/PA?

Don't hold yer breath. My money is on the UP for the next expansion.

Guessing that Fred already has something near Michigan City. Wouldn't need one near Cincy unless plans are to use it as a hub (i.e. further into Kentucky).

They already have a distribution center in Tipp City a little north of Dayton.

• 2 weeks later...

Grocery express at KC store

Got a postcard at my house hawking this:

Online grocery shopping with delivery to your vehicle

You order

Shop on-line at meijergroceryexpress.com

$6.95 per order or $24.95 for 30 days unlimited

We shop

No grocery cart, no checkout lane

You choose the day and time

You pick up

Just drive up and call, we'll bring your order to your car

Available only at Knapps Corner

It looks like the interior design and graphics program used in Meijer at Cascade's posh store prototype is being implemented at other meijer stores.

One my way home from having a blast watching football at the Big House (awesome game by the way.) I made a quick pit stop at a Meijer store located SW of Lansing just off of I-69 and M-50. The store interior was in the mist of a renovation. What was already completed look like a dead ringer of Meijer @ Cascade. The big difference though is that the grocery aisles will be along the back wall with meats and produce along the side wall.

Grocery express at KC store

Got a postcard at my house hawking this:

Online grocery shopping with delivery to your vehicle

You order

Shop on-line at meijergroceryexpress.com

$6.95 per order or $24.95 for 30 days unlimited

We shop

No grocery cart, no checkout lane

You choose the day and time

You pick up

Just drive up and call, we'll bring your order to your car

Available only at Knapps Corner

Once again, UP scoops the local daily paper.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...vel_of_onl.html

I don't know how well this program is going to work. A program similar to what KC is doing was attempted at Family Fare which used to be Great Day Foods on Lake Michigan Drive a few years back, but it was discontinued after 6 months. Only about 12 people took advantage of the program in that time. I think the folk here in this town want things done a specific way.

I don't know how well this program is going to work. A program similar to what KC is doing was attempted at Family Fare which used to be Great Day Foods on Lake Michigan Drive a few years back, but it was discontinued after 6 months. Only about 12 people took advantage of the program in that time. I think the folk here in this town want things done a specific way.

Ever since I got the postcard, I have been trying to think of a scenario where I would pay a redshirt to pick out my stuff. And I just can't come up with one. Even lying in bed with the flu, I'd still have to get up and go to the store (and if I was there, I would go inside and select my own fruits and vegs).

The busy mom cited in the Press piece might have peers. Time will tell if there are enough to make it fly.

We got the postcard and were real excited about trying it out. My wife has a bi-weekly 3 hour trip to Meijer with a 3 yr old and a 10 month old. The idea of picking out all of the things we need online, her pulling the SUV up, opening the back and watching them load the bags into the car made both of us giddy. We started the 'shopping' process and picked a ton of thigns out, only to realize they don't accept coupons as part of the process...

Back to walking up and down the aisles...