Meijer

Some big news for the Alpine Meijer.

The cafe is no more and in it's place will go a new subway restaurant. It would be kinda cool in a way, but then again, for those who sometimes get food from Delicious to go and Purple Cow, unless subway would allow those customers to sit in the restaurant, they wouldn't have a place to eat at anymore. What do you all think about this?

In the store front where the at&t phone company used to be, a new PC solutions store is going in it's place.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was at Alpine Meijer yesterday and noticed that they seem to be making the health section smaller and they are building something new right next to the cart storage room. What could it be?

Huntington Bank signed an agreement with Meijer to put in over 90+ in-store branch locations in Michigan. Steelcase is designing the branches and providing the furniture. They are also kicking out all the Chase, Flagstar, and US Banks, so Huntington will be the only bank inside any Meijer store... at least in Michigan.

Not sure if this has anything to do with that space at the Alpine Meijer, though... haven't visited that store in a while.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2012/05/huntington_bank_plans_to_open.html

and

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/05/can_a_furniture_company_get_us.html

Edited by Timize

Alpine is now the regional 24 hr pharmacy, and they have shut down the pick-up window for a few weeks while constructing the rest.

<customer service rant> If you're going to ask if I want the several pieces of paper that come with my Rx, do not wave them around like a strobe light. Hold still, dammit! (and get off my lawn)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For those of you who follow Meijer news, they're completely renovating the Knapp's Corner Meijer. Work has begun already. Sounds like they're going to reconfigure the pharmacy, which probably has the worst service in the area and the drive through always causes bottlenecks at the North entrance.

http://photos.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/2013/02/knapps_corner_meijer_planned_r_2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Acording to reports, Meijer is closing one of its first Ohio stores.  This location is outside Columbus, in Newark.  From the looks of it the building was last touched in the early 80s!  I didn't know they had stores that old.  Recently Meijer announced that it was spending more than $160 millon in 2013 to add stores in IL, MI, IN, and remodel stores in MI and IL.  Plans call for new stores in Wisconson and Kentucky in 2014. No new stores or remodels have been announced for OH in 2013, and 14 as far as I know.   I think they have something like 40+ stores in OH, second only to MI.  It would appear, at least for the time being Meijer is not investing in OH.  I wonder why?

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/21539974/community-rallies-to-save-meijer-store

Edited by mpchicago

Just looking at a map of Newark, OH.  There is a larger Wal-mart across the street from the Meijer.  And Kroger is just across the street from there. Still I'm surprised that Meijer is bailing on the community.  I don't think it happens very often. Makes you wonder how healthy the company is.

I'm not at all familiar with the situation in Newark, OH, but I wonder if Meijer tried to get favors from the city/state (tax breaks, zoning variances, etc.) to remodel/rebuild the store, and they were denied. Even if the store was profitable, it could make sense from Meijer's POV to close the store  - it would show other governments that they're willing to leave if they don't get what they want.

I don't agree with this business practice, but it happens all the time. Unfortunately, our "jobs, jobs, jobs!" mentality, as well as the labor market, lead to the attitude that corporations are doing a favor by locating in an area, ignoring the fact that the corporation needs the area's residents just as much as the residents need the corporation.

I  tried but could not determine if this was one of the Twin Fair stores. Meijer entered Ohio by buying the Trwin fair stores on Ohio in the early 80's. They were a much smaller store than the Meijers here in MI at the time. If this was a Twin Fair, it may have been expanded to the size it is with no room for expansion today.

My BIL lives in West Chester OH (lived in Norwood back in 80's: which had a Twin Fair changed to Meijers) ). Meijers, Walmart and Kroger are at Exit 22 or 23 on I-75. My experience visiting there is volume wise Meijer is #1, Walmart #2 and Kroger a distant #3. The Kroger is more a large grocery with pharmacy and bakery than a hypermarket.

• 2 months later...

Meijer has announced that the Knapp's Corner store will be receiving an experimental flagship remodel.  I wonder what that is all about.  For anyone that shops there, care to discuss what might be going on or what you heard?

Link to the article:

http://paradigmae.com/2013/02/meijer-knapps-corner/

More details about the Knapp's Corner meijer remodel:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/02/details_on_meijers_3_million_r.html

So far its mostly work on the front facade and new pharmacy, which looks like it will be much larger. There is a huge floor to ceiling high res rendering inside of what the new pharmacy will look like. They also have torn out the fish area.

I'm kind of sad to see the facade change, it was pretty unique for a big box and for Meijer, the new one looks nice; but looks like an upgrade of the standard Meijer facade that they put on all new stores. casacde is a flagship and one of the most unique facades I've seen on a big box. The old one was becoming dated, just wish some more work was put into the remodel.

• 2 months later...

Any more details on how the Knapp's Corner remodel is coming along?

Also, I noticed that they recently installed a Coca Cola Freestyle Machine at the Alpine location and yesterday I was over at the one by Rivertown and they had the Freestyle machine there too.  Are all meijer stores going to have coca cola freestyle machines?  Yesterday at the Rivertown location I had attempted to look around it and noticed that some flavors of pop were unavailable.  I hope they were just out and just needed to be restocked.

Any more details on how the Knapp's Corner remodel is coming along?

Also, I noticed that they recently installed a Coca Cola Freestyle Machine at the Alpine location and yesterday I was over at the one by Rivertown and they had the Freestyle machine there too.  Are all meijer stores going to have coca cola freestyle machines?  Yesterday at the Rivertown location I had attempted to look around it and noticed that some flavors of pop were unavailable.  I hope they were just out and just needed to be restocked.

I'm in there a couple of times a week. The North end atrium is finished and the pharmacy is done, interior and exterior, with the new drive through. Some of the flooring is done at the North end, as they seem to be phasing in the new look (flooring mainly at this point) into the old section. The back area of the store has been rearranged so that the camera and electronics section is in the center, bikes and sports have been moved to the North wall area (IIRC), seasonal is still in that area as it transitions to the outdoor garden area.

It's still pretty jumbled to give a good review of how the new look "looks". The new pharmacy is nice. Don't know if they are as ungodly slow at the pharmacy as they were before, as we moved everything over to D&W. :)

Has anyone noticed a few things:

It seems as if many of the meijer stores are no longer carrying some products we really enjoy.  Things such as like bulk foods, hi-c products, and many things are among those no longer being carried in stores any longer.

Also, I've been hearing from employess that work at a store such as Alpine that ever since Fred passed away, they are not being treated very nicely anymore and have all had pay cuts too.