Meijer

Their wages have never been something to brag about but I am sure they are not going up. Back years ago I went to Wally world (Walmart) for better pay though I cannot brag them up neither. Meijer has made a lot of changes from old school. They use to carry a lot of name brands. Now it is one, at best two name brands along side their own brand. I love their sale prices because a third of them are their normal price. In saying all of that though, Meijer does still have the competition beat over all relating to price, though some weeks Family fare do give them a bit of competition with their sales. I am sometimes surprised by Walgreens sales of late. Any how, despite my dislikes, for full priced grocery retail, I still pick Meijer, and for those wishing for a Kroger, you ain't missing nothing, and the north store of Plumbs is not exactly whipping on the competitors either. The few local chains just cannot hold the prices though a couple of the west side stores can have surprising sales. Love them or hate them, I sure would not want to be without them. At least they are helping many neighborhoods/communities outside of just store management. I still wish the land they offered for the new zoo in Kent county would of been voted in favor of, but what has been done is done, and besides, now we have the train thing going up the hill in John Ball. :)    

Their wages have never been something to brag about but I am sure they are not going up. Back years ago I went to Wally world (Walmart) for better pay though I cannot brag them up neither. Meijer has made a lot of changes from old school. They use to carry a lot of name brands. Now it is one, at best two name brands along side their own brand. I love their sale prices because a third of them are their normal price. In saying all of that though, Meijer does still have the competition beat over all relating to price, though some weeks Family fare do give them a bit of competition with their sales. I am sometimes surprised by Walgreens sales of late. Any how, despite my dislikes, for full priced grocery retail, I still pick Meijer, and for those wishing for a Kroger, you ain't missing nothing, and the north store of Plumbs is not exactly whipping on the competitors either. The few local chains just cannot hold the prices though a couple of the west side stores can have surprising sales. Love them or hate them, I sure would not want to be without them. At least they are helping many neighborhoods/communities outside of just store management. I still wish the land they offered for the new zoo in Kent county would of been voted in favor of, but what has been done is done, and besides, now we have the train thing going up the hill in John Ball. :)    

Just wait until the new exhibits go in up on the hill. It'll be pretty sweet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like Meijer will be moving into another area besides southern Wisconsin based off the number of stores they are planning to open over the next five years according to this article. http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/268153/48/Meijer-CEO-expects-aggresive-growth

Great news on that. I'd like to see Meijer push further into Kentucky and also solidify the eastern side of Ohio and make an inroad into Pennsylvania maybe. 

Well it looks like Meijer will be moving into another area besides southern Wisconsin based off the number of stores they are planning to open over the next five years according to this article. http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/268153/48/Meijer-CEO-expects-aggresive-growth

did i miss it or where's the other (new) area? PA would make geograpic sense but theres still a lot of room to grow in Ill OH and even N. MI and UP 

No, you didn't miss it. It was just a guess based on the number of stores they are talking about opening.

I would hope that means new areas but if I remember right they had something like 30 new stores recently and not really any new areas, as many are rebuilt older stores as well as filling out markets like Chicago and OH

I'm aware of at least 19 locations that are expected to be built in 2014 or 2015. They are in MI, IL, IN, KY, and WI. None are in OH, most are in IL, WI, and MI.  I know the second Detroit location has been shelved for the time being because of some issues with the city's bankruptcy

Edited by mpchicago

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Knapp's Corner Meijer store has it's own facebook fan page which tells everyone how the remodeling process is coming along and even has pictures and videos of what's happening there as well.  From all the pictures I've seen, it is looking nice, however a lot of people do not like the changes the store has been making.  Now is the Knapp's Corner store now the new flagship store?

Also has anyone noticed too that anytime Meijer has a big two day sale or whatever it is that the products that are on sale run out only within hours of the sale starting?  I've also learned a few things abouit meijer too.  The store directors do not order products for the store.  The meijer corporate office does all the ordering for the stores.  As a result of this, they never order enough product for the store and it runs out very quickly.  Alpine has run out of milk at times which is really a bad thing.  I do not like the moves corporate is making as I think they are making some things worse for Meijer.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Knapp's Corner Meijer store has it's own facebook fan page which tells everyone how the remodeling process is coming along and even has pictures and videos of what's happening there as well.  From all the pictures I've seen, it is looking nice, however a lot of people do not like the changes the store has been making.  Now is the Knapp's Corner store now the new flagship store?

Beeen keeping tabs on there Facebook page. 

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard much about this, but Meijer is in the middle of a corporate campus overhaul in Walker that should wrap up this year.  Here is an article from The Advance from 2012.

http://www.mlive.com/walker/index.ssf/2012/11/meijers.html

In Rockford's 2013 year end newsletter it shows a rendering of this converted warehouse as one of their upcoming projects.  The 300,000 sf space will be used as "collaborative" office space for the retailer.  Looks interesting.

http://www.rockfordconstruction.com/wp-content/themes/sandbox/newsletter/Rockford-Construction-2013-Review.pdf

300,000 sf seems like a lot of space.  Have they run out of space in their current corporate buildings?  I don't think I'm getting the whole story.

Edited by mpchicago

• 5 weeks later...

Meijer is "investing" in what I would call a "Whole Foods" type grocery store operation that will be rapidly expanding into the midwest in the next couple of years.  To me investing translates to mean part owner.  I contacted Shandra Martinez at the Press and she said that basically that Meijer dosen't want to talk about it. 

Looks like they are going to hit the Chicago market pretty hard in 2014, with only one store planed for Michigan thus far - East Lansing.  Here is an article from Crains Chicago business:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140219/NEWS07/140219744

Meijer is "investing" in what I would call a "Whole Foods" type grocery store operation that will be rapidly expanding into the midwest in the next couple of years.  To me investing translates to mean part owner.  I contacted Shandra Martinez at the Press and she said that basically that Meijer dosen't want to talk about it. 

Looks like they are going to hit the Chicago market pretty hard in 2014, with only one store planed for Michigan thus far - East Lansing.  Here is an article from Crains Chicago business:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140219/NEWS07/140219744

I didn't see anything about an EL location or any MI ones for that matter, kind of surprising they don't use GR as a test market as it has been with other concepts in the past. Even more surprising, Whole Foods is not in the market yet, you would think this would be another reason fro them to be here, to keep out Whole Foods. one again, undeserved with variety of national brands   

I didn't see anything about an EL location or any MI ones for that matter, kind of surprising they don't use GR as a test market as it has been with other concepts in the past. Even more surprising, Whole Foods is not in the market yet, you would think this would be another reason fro them to be here, to keep out Whole Foods. one again, undeserved with variety of national brands   

Here's a story about the Fresh Thyme store coming to East Lansing: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/02/city_pulse_arizona-based_fresh.html

Will be interesting to see the updates to that shopping area; it's been on the decline for a long time.

Edited by amylynne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was out at the Meijer HQ today and noticed in their attempts to "pedestrianize" their campuses, they've built a huge tunnel under 3 Mile. It's quite a project.

The gray walls to the right and left are the retaining walls that hold up the sides of the tunnel:

15474657336_931652cd05_c.jpg

The northern end, where it comes out near their new fancy offices. Wish I could've gotten closer, but if you drive on 3 Mile you can see it pretty well.

15311213547_66d949b587_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello UPers, this is just my very first post on here.

I would like to know the exact opening dates of the three original Meijer stores in the Downriver Detroit communities of Taylor, Woodhaven and Southgate. Taylor opened sometime in 1978 (and received a remodel in the 1990's, receiving the Knapp's Corner-style entry gables, the "MEIJER Fresh" logo and the red Times New Roman grocery aisle signage), Woodhaven opened sometime in early 1990 and Southgate opened sometime in 1994. All three stores have since been remodeled into the David Rockwell interior layout prototype-Southgate in late 2006, Woodhaven in late 2010 and Taylor in the summer of 2013-Taylor, in fact, was remodeled in a way similar to the Alpine Avenue store in the earlier pages on this thread.

Below are pictures of the three stores I'm talking about.

Taylor:

Ubcppdq.jpg

Woodhaven:

3ak1in8.png

Southgate:

HmKC61B.jpg

BTW, Taylor is store #35, Woodhaven is store #70 and Southgate is store #123. Taylor and Woodhaven have the grocery area to the right, while Southgate has it's grocery area to the left.

And from one subject to another: I would like to share these Sketchup visualizations showing what three Super Kmart sites would look like if Meijer took the leases over and completely remodeled them. They all use the Meijer store model by UP-er tamias6 from the 3D Warehouse, but slightly modified.

Bradley, Illinois:
9jmhJEs.png

Madison Avenue in Indianapolis, Indiana:
Pq8MLqA.png

Frazho Road and Gratiot Avenue in Roseville, Michigan (this would be the second Meijer in Roseville):
imYv9qh.jpg

Thanks and don't forget the welcome messages!

Edited by mtburb

The store in Taylor opened on July 19 1977

The store in Woodhaven opened on September 25 1990

The store in Southgate opened on August 30 1994

Thanks!

I remember the grand opening of Southgate very well-at the time, I had just moved into a bungalow tract house in Wyandotte (not the same house I currently live in) and remember the ads well in our local papers. I also remember the drive-in theater that was on that site before a Meijer was even planned for that site-there was also a four-screen indoor theater where the gas station is now that stayed open after the drive-in closed for a couple more years before closing itself when the Meijer was announced.

Edited by mtburb