Meijer

So currently Meijer is building in the Milwaukee area. Next will be the Cleveland area where they are going on through the approval process. Now according to this article Meijer is looking into locations in the Minneapolis area. http://m.startribune.com/twin-cities-grocery-scene-likely-to-get-a-lot-more-competitive-soon/366888361/

On 1/29/2016 at 0:14 PM, Rybak 187 said:

So currently Meijer is building in the Milwaukee area. Next will be the Cleveland area where they are going on through the approval process. Now according to this article Meijer is looking into locations in the Minneapolis area. http://m.startribune.com/twin-cities-grocery-scene-likely-to-get-a-lot-more-competitive-soon/366888361/

Next thing you know, we'll start seeing articles pertaining to Meijer purchasing properties for future locations in the Pittsburgh area.

EDIT: Wait...Meijer already acquired a Pittsburgh-based pharmacy last year. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/meijer-acquires-aureus-health-services-300086717.html

Edited by mtburb

Today I took a bus ride out to the Southland Center and I decided to walk into the Taylor Meijer. I haven't been in that particular Meijer since 1994, just before the Southgate Meijer opened. When I last went in 1994, the interior felt like I was in a labyrinth. Produce wasn't even in the front. The general merchandise section was such a mess: for example VHS tapes and laserdiscs were in one area and CDs in a completely different area, the pet and garden section was tucked in some unknown corner, the garden center entrance was well hidden and difficult to find and of course the pharmacy was way in the back.

Store Number: 35

Address: 14640 Pardee Road, Taylor, Michigan 48180

Phone Number: (734) 287-3300 (since December 1997, originally (313) 287-3300)

Opening Date: July 19, 1977 as the first Meijer store in the Downriver Detroit suburbs.

In-Store Tenants: Golden Knight Hair Design, Huntington Bank, Nail Spa

236,586 Square Feet

This Meijer store opened seven years after Southland Center itself opened across Pardee Road. It is served by three SMART routes, two of which start/end here. It's market reach covers Taylor except the northeast silver north of about Ecorse Road, pockets of Allen Park and Southgate, the eastern half of Romulus, Brownstown Township north of Sibley Road and small areas of Huron Township. This is also the closest Fred to Detroit Metro Airport. This store originally served much of southern Wayne County, but additional store openings narrowed the reach down to what I have just described. When this store first opened there was a children's area (hint hint: those Playplaces that McDonald's has slowly been phasing out within the past decade or so), but it was removed after a few years due to safety concerns. Speaking of McDonald's, this store in fact had one in the mid-1990's.

The 2013 renovation into the current format and Eyebrow-Style Entrances Type A exterior is only the third remodel in it's entire life. The first took place in 1991 and added the then-current Meijer logo and also had the interior that I mentioned at the start of this post. The second in 2001-02 changed the interior quite a bit and finally moved produce to the front.

And here's the pictures:

pDo8wh3.jpg

The exterior facade is a product of the third renovation. Originally, there were three entrances, one facing Eureka Road and two facing Pardee Road. For an idea, refer to the Sketchup rendering near the bottom of the previous page or download it here. The original rectangular appendages over two of the entrances were replaced with Dutch-styled gables from the Presidential Type A exterior prototype in the second remodel. Also notice that the bottle return area has it's own exterior entrance, with no interior access whatsoever.

IWIBks6.jpg

There are 31 total checkout lanes, including eight total small-size U-Scan lanes and four full-size U-Scan lanes. Notice the drop ceiling? The entire store is drop ceiling, with no visible roof trusses. This makes the store seem smaller than it actually is. The drop ceiling is 18 feet high.

LydfZbk.jpg

Customer service alcove. Bigger than most Meijer stores, many services usually scattered along the front corridor are tucked in here, including Sandy, partially out-of-view on the right.

NWOnBip.jpg

The produce area. On the right are the meals, deli, cakes and bakery counters. This resembles a newer Meijer store but with the drop ceiling it doesn't look quite as pleasing though.

Vz4nNAM.jpg

Seafood and meat counters.

cZCSWs6.jpg

Clothing area. Notice how the hardwood floor is darker in newer Meijer clothing sections like this one.

jTMnDUa.jpg

Rear corridor. Notice the positions of the ceiling lights-they run parallel to the rear corridor but switch perpendicularly about where the side general merchandise corridor used to be (right about where the current sporting goods section intersects the rear corridor) right up until the third renovation when it was moved closer to the side wall to confirm to current Meijer standards.

jQj8zA5.jpg

Electronics area with the photo counter right in the center.

2YcF6Dk.jpg

Seasonal area

vO6kdaw.jpg

What the store interior looks like now (above) and what it looked like after the second remodel (below, screenshot of an archived PDF from a Wayback Machine archive of the 2003 Meijer website)

u96m4on.png

Would've posted this sooner but Imgur decided to be a turtle today...

Edited by mtburb

• 4 weeks later...

Openings and renovations for 2016

New store openings
Illinois

• Flossmoor
  • Round Lake Beach

Indiana

• Evansville
  • Indianapolis

Kentucky

• Owensboro

Michigan

• Flat Rock
  • Sturgis

Wisconsin

• Sussex
  • Waukesha

Existing store renovations*
*(incomplete listing, 32 total including those not listed)

Each store will more than likely be an Eyebrow Type C design once their renovation is complete, so their current exterior designs are included.
Indiana

• Fort Wayne (2 locations)
  • Indianapolis (3 locations)

Michigan

• Allen Park (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Burton (opened 1973, Discount Store-Style Type A)
  • Clinton Township (opened 2008, Eyebrow Type B)
  • Greenville (opened 2001, Village Square Type C)
  • Holland Township (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Lapeer (opened 1995, design is unique to store but borrows from later Southport design)
  • Lenox (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Marysville (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Port Huron (opened 1997, Presidential Type B)
  • Roseville (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Royal Oak (opened 1977, Discount Store-Style Type B with gable entrance roofs)
  • Shelby Township (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Southfield (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Wixom (opened 1996, Southport)
  • Warren (opened 2006, Eyebrow Type B)

Unfortunately, this will mean that the red grocery and teal general merchandise signs at the Burton location will have to come down.

Also...could we finally see our first small-format urban Fred as part of the new Red Wings arena?

"And within six months — two months after this National Hockey League season ends in June with — a series of substantial milestones, including major tenants such as a large grocery store and hotel, are expected to be announced.

Among those seriously being courted is Walker, Mich.-based Meijer Inc., which has been exploring conceptual plans for smaller stores to fit in dense urban areas, according to Olympia Development of Michigan executives and other real estate sources."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160131/NEWS/301319979/building-city-blocks-area-around-new-red-wings-arena-teems-with

Edited by mtburb
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 4:53 PM, mtburb said:

Also...could we finally see our first small-format urban Fred as part of the new Red Wings arena?

"And within six months — two months after this National Hockey League season ends in June with — a series of substantial milestones, including major tenants such as a large grocery store and hotel, are expected to be announced.

Among those seriously being courted is Walker, Mich.-based Meijer Inc., which has been exploring conceptual plans for smaller stores to fit in dense urban areas, according to Olympia Development of Michigan executives and other real estate sources."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160131/NEWS/301319979/building-city-blocks-area-around-new-red-wings-arena-teems-with

So that explains this!

https://watapama.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/mr-murray-of-meijers-friend-or-foe-to-democracy-in-michigan/

https://watapama.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/meijer-poised-to-potentially-reap-millions-if-hb-5232-approved/

• 2 weeks later...

Meijer closing Columbus store this summer - just like with the Pierson Rd store in Flint and Newark, OH before it, Meijer is essentially saying, "It needs remodeling, but it isn't getting enough business and therefore a remodel doesn't make financial sense." It's in an area that (to me) looks a lot like I-196 & Chicago Dr on the Jenison/Grandville line in the amount of retail that's closed or moved to greener pastures.

Columbus has long appeared to be one of Meijer's weakest markets, and they've previously relocated stores there that were in struggling areas. Their expansion plans are the least ambitious in Ohio out of all of their states (even though there have been hints at the possibility of opening in Cleveland).

3 closures in 4 years from a company that, in the past, virtually never closed superstores. Will this be the new normal, to close about one store per year, or will it only last until all the remaining stores are remodeled to Eyebrow-Style interiors? It's pretty amazing that not a single store closed during Meijer's 2003-2007 struggles. Even Target does an annual round of closures nowadays.

Edited by getemngo

• 2 weeks later...

Another Meijer closing, this one in Niles, IL.   IMO, this was a very poor location, in kind of a run down strip mall.  I checked this place out when it opened.  It was one of their smaller format stores, and coming form "Meijer Country" this did not make any sense to me. I'm used to the full format stores, and this one was not laid out well, and seemed to have a lot of wasted space. The company has a few of these smaller format stores in Chicagoland, I wonder how the rest are doing? 

49 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Another Meijer closing, this one in Niles, IL.   IMO, this was a very poor location, in kind of a run down strip mall.  I checked this place out when it opened.  It was one of their smaller format stores, and coming form "Meijer Country" this did not make any sense to me. I'm used to the full format stores, and this one was not laid out well, and seemed to have a lot of wasted space. The company has a few of these smaller format stores in Chicagoland, I wonder how the rest are doing? 

They've been talking about opening a smaller format store in Detroit near the future Red Wings arena, so it'll be interesting to see whether they go forward with those plans.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at the greenville meijer. The store manager recently talked with corporate and the type c design is not being used. Greenville IS getting a new exterior design, but it is of a yet undisclosed "modernistic retro" design as he put it. 

Also, meijer now once again owns the former meijer building on Lafayette Street here in town that currently houses a bmx track and a thrift shop. The managers were all told that recently. No idea why meijer owns it. The location isn't very good, greenville isn't big enough for two meijers AND the building is in extremely bad condition. It's falling apart. I wouldn't be surprised if it got condemned in a year or so. 

Also, my cousins Angie and Logan work at the Jackson mi location on East Michigan avenue (I grew up with this meijer) and it's also getting a renovation inside and out according to their manager. 

Its sad the Greenville Meijer that opened in 2001 that replaced the old store will be redone, because it contains many left overs from the old store, like the E4 signs in the photo area. 

Edited by cammers1995

So apparently, Meijer stores (at least the one on Alpine) will no longer have the full size self checkout lanes. The reason they are making this change is because Meijer wants employees to interact more with customers. I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts on this are. Will this be a deciding factor on whether you continue to shop at Meijer or not?

12 hours ago, pcdoctor said:

So apparently, Meijer stores (at least the one on Alpine) will no longer have the full size self checkout lanes. The reason they are making this change is because Meijer wants employees to interact more with customers. I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts on this are. Will this be a deciding factor on whether you continue to shop at Meijer or not?

Just one man's opinion - I generally don't use them.  I like express self-checkout machines, but if I have a full cart I prefer using a cashier.  I can't explain why.

Many times I just walk right by them without noticing they're there.  If no one's using it, it looks like a closed checkout lane.  It wouldn't surprise me if Meijer determined they're not being used enough to justify their existence.

So I guess my answer is, no, it won't affect whether or not I shop at Meijer. :dontknow:

I'd like to know if anyone here shops at the Meijer store on Knapp's Corner.  Address of 1997 E. Beltline NE in Grand Rapids.  I want to know what all of you think about that store since it's been remodeled.  Back in 2013/2014, the store went through a major extensive remodel like no other store.  I haven't been there to see it though.  Just want to know what it's like and how you all like it.

41 minutes ago, pcdoctor said:

I'd like to know if anyone here shops at the Meijer store on Knapp's Corner.  Address of 1997 E. Beltline NE in Grand Rapids.  I want to know what all of you think about that store since it's been remodeled.  Back in 2013/2014, the store went through a major extensive remodel like no other store.  I haven't been there to see it though.  Just want to know what it's like and how you all like it.

Knapp's Corner is the main Meijer I go to.  When I first started using it regularly it was quite difficult to get use to.  The usually Meijer flow does not exist.  The dry goods section/beverage section to me, still doesn't have that great of a flow, but that could just be me.  Overall I like it though, more selections throughout than other Meijers around me.

1 hour ago, pcdoctor said:

The reason they are removing the self checkout lanes is due to the fact that many people are sneaking items out of the store without paying for them and they are losing a lot of money because of it.  Apparently no one watches the security cameras all the time.

Oh, got it.  That makes sense.

New Knapp's corner took some getting used to.  Grocery section is separated from the wall by an extensive beer, wine, water, and soda section.  So you have to go through the beverages section to get to meats and cheeses from the dry goods section.  Probably a way to push beverage sales (especially alcohol), assuming they make a good profit.  The rest of the store makes sense and I like it regardless, aside from the single-stall bathrooms by the pharmacy which usually have a line for them.  They should have located the single-stalls elsewhere and labeled them both unisex.  There's huge bathrooms way in the back and I'm almost always the only one in those.

On 4/12/2016 at 8:03 AM, pcdoctor said:

The reason they are removing the self checkout lanes is due to the fact that many people are sneaking items out of the store without paying for them and they are losing a lot of money because of it.  Apparently no one watches the security cameras all the time.

A friend of mine just happened to post a rant on Facebook about going to Meijer and finding U-Scan Express gone.  She called it "the most devastating happening of 2016 so far."  So there's that. :)

Edited by RegalTDP

On 4/12/2016 at 11:03 AM, pcdoctor said:

The express "12 items" self-checkouts work much better than the unlimited ones. The scanner registers an item immediately, and the scale (where the bags sit) detects said item being placed.

The other lane has an electric eye to detect the item on the belt, and that is much slower. If your selections include many identical items (stocking up on cat food), the scanner-belt-computer can't keep up. It's possible to place something on the belt that hasn't been scanned since it doesn't detect weight. Also, items can get backed up in the bagging chute area, which slows the whole process.

The new drive thru area for the pharmacy at Alpine is coming along nicely.  From the looks of it, there will be at 3-4 lanes for cars to pick up and drop off their prescriptions.  On the inside, there is now a boarded up area on the south wall.  I don't know why Meijer didn't build the drive thru area where it's being built at when they remodeled the store back in 2006-2007.  Where the current pick up window is at, if cars start lining up, cars have to wait in the main traffic lane for people trying to exit the parking lot.

Also in regards to the full size self checkout lanes, they've been shut down for at least a few weeks now but they are still there.  The bags have been removed from all the lanes though.

Also, they are indeed shutting down the full size self checkout lanes at all stores.

Edited by pcdoctor

On 4/24/2016 at 10:31 PM, pcdoctor said:

The new drive thru area for the pharmacy at Alpine...

Also in regards to the full size self checkout lanes...

Speaking of Alpine...for about a month, all of the employees were attired in natty white polo shirts (and I think the same khaki pants). Talked to a couple of the cashiers and stockers, said that won't last.

Et voila! they are back in navy blue polos. I am guessing that the whites started looking grubby immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

The Michigan Legislature is working on a bill to curtail abuse of tax loopholes that allow retailers like Meijer to lower their tax bills. The loophole allows retailers to appeal to a tax rate similar to closed big box stores.  

https://mibiz.com/item/23583-legislators-introduce-bill-to-reform-%E2%80%98dark-store%E2%80%99-property-tax-loophole

Frankly, I'm all for this of legislation. No one likes to pay taxes, but to allow a company like Meijer to be taxed at similar/same rate as an empty storefront seems silly.  Does anyone disagree?

Edited by mpchicago