Meijer

• 3 weeks later...

So the new drive thru pharmacy area at Alpine Meijer is partially open.  Lane 1 which is the left lane is still having work done to it while Lane 2 which is the middle Lane is now open.  Lane 3 is just an exit Lane.  Now I thought the third lane would be another serving area since Alpine's pharmacy is the flagship pharmacy and as far as I know, is the only 24 hour pharmacy. 

So I recently heard that the Standale Meijer location is now getting remodeled.  What are they doing to that location? 

• 1 month later...

It appears Lott3Metz was the firm that renovated an old warehouse on the Meijer corporate campus into an office building.  It turned out very nice, IMO.  I believe that the company was also going to renovate the Fred Meijer corporate headquarters building too.  Which employees are in the old/new warehouse and which employees are in the Fred Meijer building, and are they both full?

Edited by mpchicago

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2016 at 11:02 PM, getemngo said:

I noticed the other day that the Gaines Twp store has been repainted in Meijer's current exterior color scheme. Looks sharp!

14917169_10153898578771363_1356270291420818340_o.jpg

For comparison, here's Grandville, which is how it looked before:14890522_10153898578686363_5086762823333482383_o.jpg

They just did the exact same to the Walker/Standale store.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Southgate store has been repainted as well. This store must've been done sometime between the 6th and the 16th of this month as when I went there on the 6th everything on this building that's blue was still red and when I went on the 16th it had been repainted and I decided to take this pic.

However when I went on the 6th the Fort Street sign and the gas station had already been repainted and I managed to pass the Trenton Road sign as it was being repainted.

9sJKiaU.jpg

Edited by mtburb

• 1 month later...

How many Meijer stores with red bands and roofs on the exterior are left in 2017 that haven't yet been repainted into blue? I know the Fraser store (remodeled into an Indiana Pineapple in 1994 after it's short-lived stint as a Sourceclub) still has it's red exterior.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to do this again...

Openings and renovations for 2017

New store openings

Indiana

• Franklin
  • McCordsville

Michigan

• Escanaba
  • Sault Ste. Marie

Wisconsin

• Greenfield
  • Howard
  • West Bend

Existing store renovations

Each store will have white-and-tan interiors with signs in Roland and will more than likely be an Eyebrow Type C design once their renovation is complete, so their current exterior designs are included.

Illinois

• Algonquin (opened 2001, Village Square Type A)
  • Bloomingdale (opened 2005, Signature Series Type B)
  • McHenry (opened 2002, Village Square Type C)

Indiana

• Goshen (opened 1995, Indiana Whimsical Pineapple)
  • Indianapolis 96th Street (opened 1997, Presidential Type A)
  • Jeffersonville (opened 1999, Presidential Type B)
  • Richmond (opened 2000, Village Square Type B)
  • South Bend (opened 1994, Indiana Whimsical Pineapple)

Kentucky

• Louisville Dixie Highway (opened 1998, Presidential Type A)
  • Louisville Westport Road (opened 1998, Presidential Type A)

Michigan

• Algoma Township (opened 2004, Signature Series Type A)
  • Commerce Township (opened 1992, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Mount Pleasant (opened 1990, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Northville (opened 1985, modified Curved Glass I with arch facade)
  • Southgate (opened 1994, Indiana Whimsical Pineapple)

Ohio

• Cincinnati Marburg Avenue (opened 2003, Village Square Type C)
  • Columbus Hillard-Rome Road (opened 1992, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Eastgate (opened 1996, Southport)
  • Grove City (opened 2008, Eyebrows Type B)
  • Rossford (opened 2004, Signature Series Type A)
  • West Chester (opened 1996, Southport)

Navigating through the Southgate store as it undergoes a change from Franklin Gothic to Roland signs sure would be fun (plus they already repainted the exterior in November), but it'll be interesting to see if they can fit the "WELCOME TO YOUR SOUTHGATE STORE" sign above the interior entrance doors (as it's glass from the doors to the ceiling), expect photos too...

Edited by mtburb
Forgot one
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to keep tabs of the Southgate renovation I have created this thread in the Detroit section plus a Facebook group. From what a cashier told me when I went to that store a couple days ago it's supposed to start sometime in March.

Expect a Sketchup rendering of how this renovation will likely turn out much in the vein of tamais6's renderings...

Back in July I decided to spend a couple days at my cottage in southern Ogemaw County (yes, I'm still yearning for the day that Meijer opens a store in West Branch) and directly adjacent to my route was one active Meijer store and the empty lot that once contained another. Here's the first one.

Store Number: 185

Address: 800 Brown Road, Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326

Phone Number: (248) 393-5100 (always had this number)

Opening Date: August 27, 2000

In-Store Tenants: Great Clips, Bellacino's Pizza & Grinders, Huntington Bank

215,591 Square Feet

This store opened across I-75 from Great Lakes Crossing almost two years after the mall itself opened. It's market reach covers northern Auburn Hills as far as Oakland University, far northern Pontiac, Lake Angelus, the southern three-fourths of Orion Township, the southwest corner of Oakland Township, the far northwest corner of Rochester Hills, the far northeast corner of Waterford Township and the southeast corner of Independence Township, previously split up between the Waterford and Rochester Road stores. This is also the closest Fred to the Palace of Auburn Hills, which is the current home of the Pistons (of which Fred is one of the major sponsors) until the end of the current NBA season (2016-17) and thus has hosted many Pistons community events over the years. It was among the few Meijer stores built with the first (and my favorite of the three) Village Square architectural design prototype, which was short-lived due to it's shear construction costs. It's only renovation occurred around 2009 and resulted in it's current interior layout.

4mrQdFG.jpg

Apologies for the poor shot, this was the best one I have. The fake storefronts which give the Village Square design it's name are distinctly visible here.

And here's the Meijer that no longer exists:

Store Number: 28

Address: 4333 West Pierson Road, Flint, Michigan 48504

Phone Number: (810) 732-3100 (1993-2015, originally (313) 732-3100)

Opening Date: October 3, 1972

Closing Date: May 19, 2015

232,235 Square Feet

This was the first Meijer store in Genesee County and featured a balcony like other early Meijer supercenters. It's last renovation was sometime in the 1990's, but I am certain that it wasn't this store's first renovation. In later years, shoplifting was a major problem, partially due to the high crime in the neighborhoods only a mile east, this was ulitmately the impetus for Meijer's decision to shutter the store completely in 2015. The photos I took looking towards the site had trees blocking the entire view, so here's a Google Street View of the store pre-closure.

Edited by mtburb

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/02/meijer_reconsiders_store_after.html

JAMESTOWN TOWNSHIP, MI -- Meijer appears ready to build a Jamestown Township store more than a decade after first getting approval for the project.

In the last year, Meijer has jump started the project at Jamestown Commerce Center, and received approval for a new design plan for the proposed store at the corner of Quincy Street and 32nd Avenue.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, pcdoctor said:

According to this article, it looks like the Alpine Meijer is going to get a remodel as well.  Not sure of what all they plan to do at that store yet.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/these_22_meijer_stores_will_be.html

Well, shall we create a log thread for that location's renovation similar to the thread that was made to log the 2006-07 renovation?

According to the facebook response from Meijer on their page, they said this.   "Improvements planned include wider aisles, upgraded store layout, better lighting and bigger produce, meat, dairy and health and beauty sections."

And according to WOOD TV, the remodel should begin in August and last until November.

This is for the Alpine location.

Edited by pcdoctor

So by August we should create a log thread here in this section for the Alpine Avenue Meijer renovation project like the one that was made for it's most recent renovation in 2006-07...

August also happens to be the month when the Southgate Meijer renovation wraps up, but I've already created a log thread for that store, but it may almost be entirely me, since the Detroit section is otherwise dead despite all the ongoing or proposed projects going on there.

Anyways, let's hope Tamais will be back on this forum by August too, as he lives not far from the Alpine Avenue Meijer and provided major contributions to the 2006-07 log thread.

Edited by mtburb

1 hour ago, pcdoctor said:

Another Meijer store that needs a remodel if it hasn't been done is the Ludington, MI store.  Went to that one in 2013 and it has/had the very old signage from several years back.  That store would have to go down in the major overhaul category.

That stored opened in 2000 and it's green grocery signs/teal checkout number signs/village-inspired general merchandise signs (including one that has the old MEIJER logo!) are all original to that store. There is a same-vintage store near Bay City that was renovated last year and I believe there is also a same-vintage store in Indiana near the I-69/Toll Road interchange that also still has the same green grocery signs/teal checkout number signs/village-inspired general merchandise signs it had when it opened in 2000.

While we're on the topic of stores that should need a renovation soon, there's a Meijer in Bowling Green, Ohio that hasn't been touched inside since it opened in 1999! Despite receiving the current logos and even a repaint of the bands and gable roofs from red to blue, it still has the same red grocery signs/teal checkout number signs/teal general merchandise signs it had when it opened. At that condition, it would also be placed in the major overhaul category.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 10:12 PM, pcdoctor said:

Here is the store directory map for the Ludington, MI store.  This was taken back in 2013.  Not sure what if anything has changed since this.

20130921_121757.jpg

From looking at photos posted on Google Maps' listing for this store, the layout remains the same as of this year.

15 hours ago, pcdoctor said:

Shown here is the layout of the Alpine Meijer store #20.  Took this today while there.

Alpine Meijer.jpg

Interesting how they still have the old 3D style of interior maps, they stopped doing that ten years ago if I recall correctly and replaced with a flat 2D style with fewer colors like that Ludington layout map you posted at the bottom of the previous page. There is a Meijer in Noblesville, Indiana (suburban Indianapolis) that too still has 3D-styled interior layout maps.

Edited by mtburb