Meijer

On 3/16/2019 at 7:01 AM, tSlater said:

I'm going to really miss the entrances on this store.

I'm going to miss those entrances too.  Especially the retail entrance.

16 hours ago, tamias6 said:

Been down there to thew 54 st. Meijer. I knew this was a big remodel coming. Most of the parking lot is sectioned off for storage containers for the store remodel. Looks like I'll need to snap some pics the next time I'm down in that area.  

Hey there how are you doing?  Haven't seen you post in quite sometime.  Have you been to Alpine Meijer since they remodeled?

As for my comments in regards to this store, I'm glad to see that it's finally getting remodeled.  I however thought that maybe it would be more of a level two remodel which is what the Southgate store got back in 2017.  But probably being that since a majority of the Clyde Park store has drop ceiling in it, they opted to do a major remodel.  I'm hoping that once the remodel is done that the drop ceiling is gone.  The drop ceiling being gone would make the store feel bigger.

When did they begin remodeling?

Edited by pcdoctor

I shop at 54th weekly and I believe the project got started about a month ago.  It has been fun to see the progress all while keeping the store open and operating!

From what I can tell, I think the drop ceiling is going away completely.  Back in the NE corner (Electronics), it looks like a new ceiling is in. Really makes the drop ceiling look tacky! Also- so many wires- crazy to have to keep track of which wire goes where and for what.

Edited by wyoming_mi

The drop ceiling is being removed and the exposed ceiling is being painted a dark grey (similar to Hudsonville, Gaines Township, and the Grand Haven store (which is currently being remodeled)).

The new pet department is complete (located in the former electronics area).

Here's the new pets department (where the electronics was previously located in the northeast corner). Note the new LED lighting on the right side of the photo. Most of the lighting on the left is the old lighting that is being replaced. Also note the ceiling has been painted a dark grey:

1jFsuun.jpg

Here's the new bakery area. This was built where there previously were a few grocery aisles (also note part of the ceiling has been painted grey):

6RigSRl.jpg

Here's a shot of the front end of the store. Note all of the wires that were mentioned in earlier posts. These would have been hidden above the drop ceiling:

2MieVhw.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, pcdoctor said:

I'm going to miss those entrances too.  Especially the retail entrance.

Hey there how are you doing?  Haven't seen you post in quite sometime.  Have you been to Alpine Meijer since they remodeled?

As for my comments in regards to this store, I'm glad to see that it's finally getting remodeled.  I however thought that maybe it would be more of a level two remodel which is what the Southgate store got back in 2017.  But probably being that since a majority of the Clyde Park store has drop ceiling in it, they opted to do a major remodel.  I'm hoping that once the remodel is done that the drop ceiling is gone.  The drop ceiling being gone would make the store feel bigger.

When did they begin remodeling?

Yeap. I've been to the Alpine Meijer since the recent remodel.  Its mostly a cosmetic redo replacing the older Rockford Prototype look with a cost cut but still very nice version of the Knapp Corner stores's interior. The exterior of the Alpine Store received a slight revision to its paint job.   As for the 54 st and Clydpark store, it needed a drastic upgrade...badly. The last time I shopped their just before the remodel work began. The grocery section was a disorganized mess and the general merch side was much the  same. Thank the Meiojer corporate gods its finally getting some much needed love. 

So I looked at the pictures of the Hudsonville Meijer store.  I'm curious as to why the Alpine store didn't use those graphics.  And from what they are doing to Clyde Park, I feel that Alpine should have been remodeled that way too.  As for the signs at Alpine, the ones that hang from the ceiling I am not a huge fan of.

Seems judging by where the new pet supplies section at the Clyde Park store is located, I have a feeling the grocery aisles will run along the back of the store. I could be wrong though. But I'm refering to the layout of the 28th street and K'zoo store.  Its grocery aisles are along the back.  

I dont think the grocery aisles along the back layout would work well at the Alpine store though  due to how unusually deep the store is compared to its width.  Unless Meijer did a major format change, the Alpine store's current layout seems to make best use of space. 

10 hours ago, pcdoctor said:

So I looked at the pictures of the Hudsonville Meijer store.  I'm curious as to why the Alpine store didn't use those graphics.  And from what they are doing to Clyde Park, I feel that Alpine should have been remodeled that way too.  As for the signs at Alpine, the ones that hang from the ceiling I am not a huge fan of.

Class was canceled today. As a result, this gave me an opportunity to head down to the Clyde Park and 54th street Meijer to see what was happening. One thing I will tell you is no matter what area of the store you are in, it's complete chaos.  Things such as sectioned off areas, Aisles out of line, etc... The new Pets department looked nice though. Electronics was looking good as well too.   Graphics on the walls have yet to go up once the walls are primed and painted.

So in the center section of the store, it looked like they had new flooring down, but the drop ceiling has not been removed from much of the center portion yet. To me, that should have been done before stripping the floor and putting down new flooring. 

At the Pharmacy, it looks like parts of the Pharmacy are at their permanent spot, other parts look like a temporary setup, but I know that it's all a work in progress.

Unless they have not painted the ceiling yet, the gray ceilings make the store look dark and I don't particularly care for it. 

The new bottle return room is up and running, but construction is still happening in there. I'm wondering if you will be able to access the store from the bottle return room?

The southwest area of the store is under complete construction.  That is where the meat and seafood departments will move to and I think deli may also move some as well.

Finally the last little bit of the old Grocery entrance glass atrium is now gone.

Anyways that's about all I know. 

I didn't take any pictures because I didn't feel comfortable doing so and I was in a bit of a hurry too.

Edited by pcdoctor

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pcdoctor said:

Has anyone been over to Clyde Park and 54th lately?  Any updates as to what's happening with the store?

Well I stopped in there last week looking for a box of Earthbound brand Kale for my wife since there was none at the Meijer I usually go to.  They had it in what looks like a new produce cooler, but all the boxes had expired dates so I didn't buy any.  Kind of annoying, I don't even like kale, and since the parking lot is a mess it was hard getting in and out.  Found it someplace else, can't remember where, probably Family Fare.  

I stopped in on Friday. The meat department has been moved from the back of the store to the front. Grocery is a mess. It looks like the checklanes have been completed and are very similar to the Hudsonville Meijer including the "queued" self-checkout lanes and a row of kiosks for shop-and-scan transactions.

It appears that most of the general merchandise side has been remodeled. The pets section is completely done and they are building those towers in the softlines area. Also, the pharmacy is getting the new look (also like Hudsonville) with the big window. 

It should be nice when it's done. Sorry, no pictures this time.

These photos are from last Tuesday:

The old meat department:

UuSoo9S.jpg

The new meat department (where the old bakery previously was located):

C5XIAE4.jpg

These photos are from last Friday:

The new pharmacy drive thru is now open:

dotVvBz.jpg

The new GM entrance under construction:

UulalmU.jpg

Current front of store (can see grocery entrance under construction):

9Z8hDO6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are some recent photos:

(Taken 5/16) This is the new general merchandise entrance. Note, it was built further north than the previous entrance, as you can see where the former shelving of the HBC department was located.

iENqTTQ.jpg

(Taken 5/16) This is the exterior of the grocery entrance. Again, it was built slightly to the north of the previous entrance.

27RQyXm.jpg

(Taken 5/20) This is where the dairy used to be. It has been relocated to the rear of the store, where the meat counter was previously.

3mrCW64.jpg