Meijer

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/10/2020 at 11:20 PM, RegalTDP said:

I feel like the one-way aisles do not work well in practice.  I always wind up behind someone who parks their cart in the middle of the aisle and deliberates for 10 minutes.

It often feels like I'm the only one following the arrows and everyone else flat-out ignores them, sometimes even employees.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, pcdoctor said:

For those who shop at the Jenison Meijer store on a regular basis.  I'm curious to know what's located in the big open space on the mezzanine floor?  I've seen pictures of it on Google maps.

I used to work at that store. A long time ago it was a McDonald's, and prior to that it was a unique-to-Meijer fast service restaurant (Fred's Grill?). The staff locker room was expanded to part of what used to be the kitchen, the red floor tiles and white kitchen walls are still there.

For a long time it sat empty, and was used for extra storage of bulky for sale items like grills and bikes. 

As of early 2018 it was used for overflow regional pharmacy staff with cubicles up there. Not sure if that's still the case now. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, tSlater said:

It often feels like I'm the only one following the arrows and everyone else flat-out ignores them, sometimes even employees.

I was in the Alpine Meijers yesterday morning. The arrows are gone in the grocery section.  I didn't go in the general merchandise section.  Most folks were social distancing but theres always some that either don't care or don't think.  I'm 70 and have avoided going there but I felt pretty comfortable with the lack of a crowd. The employees stocking were pretty good about backing away if I was looking at an item where they were stocking.  The carts are all sanitized.

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently at the Plainfield Meijer and OMG, they have the most amazing, fastest, reverse vending machines I have ever encountered.  I was in and out in no time.  If you've got pandemic cans, head to Plainfield.  With the speed of these, there's really no reason to not expand the bottle deposit law a bit (ciders, etc.)

On 10/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, ChevalierNoir said:

I used to work at that store. A long time ago it was a McDonald's, and prior to that it was a unique-to-Meijer fast service restaurant (Fred's Grill?). The staff locker room was expanded to part of what used to be the kitchen, the red floor tiles and white kitchen walls are still there.

For a long time it sat empty, and was used for extra storage of bulky for sale items like grills and bikes. 

As of early 2018 it was used for overflow regional pharmacy staff with cubicles up there. Not sure if that's still the case now. 

I was thinking that it should be a space for staff and guests to sit and relax in if it isn't being used for anything else right now.

• 1 month later...

I believe in politics they call this a carve out, a piece of legislation that only applies to a single person or corporation:

DETROIT NEWS: 2020/12/18/lawmakers-send-meijer-tax-break-bills-to-governor

EDIT: Here's a follow-up story from the Free Press:

FREE PRESS: 2020/12/23/whitmer-may-veto-meijer-tax-cut-lame-duck-bills

EDIT 2: Whitmer did in fact pocket veto the two bills by not signing them:

FREE PRESS: 2021/01/05/whitmer-vetoes-bills-tax-cuts-for-meijer

Edited by walker
news update
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 11:49 AM, droonus2000 said:

Knapp Corner Meijer is changing out their self checkouts.  From the in line to serpentine  style. First is old, second is new. 

20210302_112756.jpg

20210302_112843.jpg

This definitely helps with the lines weaving through aisles and the main aisle

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, pcdoctor said:

I was informed that the Jenison Meijer is under remodel?  For those who regularly shop there, would you care to share what all is happening as well as share possible pictures?  Also is the mezzanine floor being removed?

AFAIK, the mezzanine floor will still be there. But the look and feel will be a lot like the Clyde Park Meijer. Produce will finally be in the front!

Jenison used to be my main Meijer and that was where my first ever job was, so I'm excited to see how it looks too! We moved up to the Rockford area last year so I don't get that way much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday heading towards Middleville along Broadmoor I noticed a rather large piece of property at the northeast corner of 68th street being graded for development and didn't know what it was.  Coming back later the same way I see there's a construction sign saying it's a new Meijer.  Can't say I remember reading or hearing anything about this.  Just did a Google search, here's all I came up with:

Hastings Banner: meijer-eyes-caledonia-township-for-supercenter

Sun and News: meijer-rezoning-request-gets-first-reading-from-caledonia-twp-board

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5510-5520-68th-St-Caledonia-MI/17636836/   

Edited by walker
fix typo

Meijers has owed this property for many many moons. It s being graded for a future store but only the C-store gas station is being built now. I'm guessing they have seen the Amazon delivery van business at the Walker / I-96 gas station C-store and figure they might as well build the gas station C-store on the site since Amazon is building a 2 building delivery site on 109 acres on 68th St across the street from the existing warehouse center.

Edited by Raildude's dad
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't live in GR area anymore like I used to (I moved to Belleville) but I'm impressed that Meijer is showing the Detroit side of the state some love too. Meijer is currently fully remodelling Canton, Jackson (east Michigan Ave) and ypsilanti stores and they look fantastic. The ypsilanti store was unique in that it had never been renovated since at least the 80s (with the exception of new signs) and still featured the old drop ceiling, weird department placements and the exterior was extremely old and looked similar to the former Plainfield Ave location in GR. Ypsilanti, Jackson and Canton were all older and now look like fresh built Meijer stores inside and out. 

According to the Belleville independent the Belleville Meijer will start a renovation in 2022 and Westland may follow. I'm impressed with how fast Meijer is renovating stores especially during this pandemic. The new store designs are beautiful imo which im surprised about. I haven't been impressed with meijers store design or layouts for over a decade now. The new designs are great. I really like how Canton moved frozen to the back of the store rather than front and like how they moved electronics back to the center of the store rather than the far right corner. 

Edited by cammers1995

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up:

The meat and seafood area is under heavy construction at the Alpine Meijer store. The biggest change that you will notice is that the meat and seafood counters will no longer return. The reason for this is for COVID-19 reasons according to someone I talked to.  These items will be self serve only.  The coolers that held cheeses have been ripped out.  I'm not sure what the plan is for that space where cheeses were. In fact, I couldn't find where they put cheeses. There are quite a few temporary meat counters on the back side of the wall next to beer and wine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

During my last visit to Meijer which was on Wednesday, they installed what I would assume would be new coolers to hold seafood products in them where cheeses used to be.  Right above the coolers are new windows that would slide open and closed.  I don't understand the purpose of that.  Also I'm not sure if the coolers will contain all seafood products or something else, but it seemed like a lot for seafood product.  

Was at Meijer on August 23rd, the new shelves between the former seafood department and the backroom area are now stocked with 3/4 of them being meat products and a 1/4 of it being seafood products.  The temporary shelves that were on the back side of the beer and wine area have been removed and the extension cords were being removed at the time.  

• 1 month later...

I was in Detroit this past weekend for the Detroit Marathon and was excited to see the "Market" concept from Meijer being extended to Detroit.  https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/10/01/detroit-mayor-tours-meijer-rivertown-market/5934834001/

I know it's not the first expansion outside of GR, but it sure was a welcome site to downtown Detroit as far as getting groceries was concerned....seemed like a food desert otherwise.  It was packed!