Meijer

Sweet Rewards... Yah, my neighbor owns it, or used too. I would get tons of slushy syrup from them, so much I wouldn't know what to do with it. So I put it into my coke drinks, on ice cream, etc... Never used nor have I ever recieved chunks from there, but their Calizones (Sp?) were pretty good... I am satisfied with Meijer Brand Mint Chocolate, it isn't filled with chunks, but it does beat mint flavor of other brands.

Edited by Rizzo

wewt 54th st. meijers for the win!

anywho, sweet rewards.. isn't that the building with a very sharp peaked roof closer to 54th? They've been closed the past few months for "construction" although there appears to be nothing going on with the building, and the nearest construction of any sort is at 60th and south some.

... BTW stay away from the Pink Cow (whatever it's called) ice cream, there's hardly any chocolate chips in the Mint ice cream! Hello, we need chunks please.

Who's that knocking on your door, Rizzo? Why, it looks like himself, with a container of chunks for ya!

• 5 weeks later...

The October issue of Consumer Reports is out, and it rates the national and regional Supermarkets. The survey includeds ratings on Service, Perishables, Price and Cleanliness. Meijer didn't fair as well this time as they did last time. Meijer pricing was rated better then average, but they slipped in the service category to worse than average, and are rated just average in perishables. I believe they did very well in the perishable ratings last time. They were also rated average in Cleanliness. Overall SuperTarget rated ahead of Meijer while Wal-Mart Supercenters rated lower. The top rated national food purveyors were Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Costco.

Edited by mpchicago

I think it depends on where you go. The newer Meijers, Gaines, Grandville, etc all see to be really clean with fresher produce, (sometimes) nicer staff and better selection. I've never been to a "super" target, and I haven't set foot in a Wal-mart in at least five years.

I've only been to one Wal Mart supercenter and wasn't impressed with it either.

I try to avoid Walmarts. I like to support Meijers since they are the local company. Meijer returns money to this community, I've never heard of Walmart doing anything for this community. Heck, I've never even seen a softball team sponsored by Walmart. And I try to avoid Sam's Club as much as possible too since they are part of Walmart.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but has anyone seen that the Meijer on 54th and Clyde Park(Wyoming) has put in an E85 pump? They actually shutdown the gas station for weeks in order to put it in place. I think Meijer putting in an E85 pump is very important because this is the biggest business in GR to do this so far. And if you do a search you will only find a handful of E85 stations within 100 miles of GR. If all the Meijers follow suit and install E85 pumps then that may help dictate how soon E85 becomes mainstream. My hats off to Meijers!!!!!!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but has anyone seen that the Meijer on 54th and Clyde Park(Wyoming) has put in an E85 pump? They actually shutdown the gas station for weeks in order to put it in place. I think Meijer putting in an E85 pump is very important because this is the biggest business in GR to do this so far. And if you do a search you will only find a handful of E85 stations within 100 miles of GR. If all the Meijers follow suit and install E85 pumps then that may help dictate how soon E85 becomes mainstream. My hats off to Meijers!!!!!!

AFAIK they have had one in the Rivertown - Grandville Meijer for about a month now.

Meijer appears to many of us to be dominating the market over Wal-Mart in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area. Typically most students will go to Meijer because it's convenient along bus routes, and the out of state students (like from out East, out West, and international) find it more upscale than Wal-Mart. Both stores here are very clean and have been remodeled twice over. Every year the Ann Arbor-Saline Road Meijer hosts Meijer Madness (along with several other meijers across the state). 4000 U of M students attend, and no one ever walks out of the store empty handed.

The Meijers up in Saginaw County are nice as well. There's already 2 in Saginaw, and a third one is being considered for Birch Run as well. It has gotten a lot of favors from area residents who are upset with Kroger's consistently poor produce selection. Although both stores are nice and clean, the remodeling work looks very ugly. This is not good considering a nearby brand new Wal-Mart features a more attractive interior, nicer shelving and the entire store is lit by natural light through glass skylights. The shopping experience there feels a bit more enjoyable than Meijer. Of course, it feels a lot better shopping at Meijer knowing you aren't supporting Wally Worlds domination.

Meijer appears to many of us to be dominating the market over Wal-Mart in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area. Typically most students will go to Meijer because it's convenient along bus routes, and the out of state students (like from out East, out West, and international) find it more upscale than Wal-Mart. Both stores here are very clean and have been remodeled twice over. Every year the Ann Arbor-Saline Road Meijer hosts Meijer Madness (along with several other meijers across the state). 4000 U of M students attend, and no one ever walks out of the store empty handed.

The Meijers up in Saginaw County are nice as well. There's already 2 in Saginaw, and a third one is being considered for Birch Run as well. It has gotten a lot of favors from area residents who are upset with Kroger's consistently poor produce selection. Although both stores are nice and clean, the remodeling work looks very ugly. This is not good considering a nearby brand new Wal-Mart features a more attractive interior, nicer shelving and the entire store is lit by natural light through glass skylights. The shopping experience there feels a bit more enjoyable than Meijer. Of course, it feels a lot better shopping at Meijer knowing you aren't supporting Wally Worlds domination.

I've been in a Wally World supercenter just south of Ionia. It had skylights in it and an updated interior graphics program. But to me it doesn't do a lick of good exept brighten up the disorganized choes one walks into when shopping Wal-Mart. So new graphics, same junk. Thus Fred and Hank, won't have to worry about losing my patronage to Sam Walton any time soon even if he built a Wally World next door to my home.

Edited by tamias6

btw, Meijers Midnight Madness to welcome back college students is awesome and a great marketing idea for Meijer. I went to it here at MSU and they had all kinds of free food from hot dogs, pizza, chicken fingers, pop, and energy drinks. They had a raffle were they gave away a prize to everybody with some winning big prizes. In the store they had a live band (yes inside of Meijer) and another stage with kareoke with prizes. Outside they had a rock climbing wall and 6 of the Coca-Cola NASCAR team cars. I was really impressed with it all and I know they did well cause the place was packed and everybody was buying stuff with the 10% off general merchandise that they also gave to students. Luckily they had it at both Meijers around MSU or it would have been too packed. The line to check out was long even though they had every single lane open which I'm not sure I have ever seen at a Meijer.

It should, AFAIK all meijer stores have gas stations

Not true, they do not have a gas station at the Rivertown Meijer, plus the one off M6 and Kalamazoo also doesn't have a gas station. I'm sure there are also others as well that don't have a gas station as well. I am not sure of their gas station/superstore combo stratedgy.

I was apart of the midnight madness for its first year at WMU and it was okay, granted it was the first year, and I liked it, but I assume with time it will develop like the one at MSU.

Thats awesome, like I said I think its a great marketing move. It leaves a really good impression to college students and what better people to impress than young and potential high salary future shoppers. Thumbs up to whoever at Meijer thought that one up. It seems that Meijer is often being considered the more in place to go when compared to Walmart, Target, and KMart with college students thanks to things like this.

Edited by vexom

Not true, they do not have a gas station at the Rivertown Meijer, plus the one off M6 and Kalamazoo also doesn't have a gas station. I'm sure there are also others as well that don't have a gas station as well. I am not sure of their gas station/superstore combo stratedgy.

I was apart of the midnight madness for its first year at WMU and it was okay, granted it was the first year, and I liked it, but I assume with time it will develop like the one at MSU.

(Shows you how much I hang out near Rivertown I guess)

I thought I read that the Grandville Meijer was getting e-85 pumps installed.

Doesn't matter I suppose...

Edited by snoogit