Meijer

It should, AFAIK all meijer stores have gas stations

In some locations Fred has to slide the store into an existing space (Tel-Twelve in Southfield, where gas stations existed on all four corners) or into a space where underground storage tanks and the general "ambiance" offered by auto fueling won't fit (Grandville).

What confuses me are the gas stations without the stores. Having MDOT provide a listing a mile from the exit, "hey there's a Meijer here, and it is open!" is another brilliant marketing strategy. I don't use the C-stops nearly as much as I do the full-blown stores. (Of course now I have all the store locations memorized, so it's no longer an issue here. But when travelling...)

My summer job between high school and college was at the Meijer gas station at 28th and Kalamazoo. The story I was told (although my memory may be distorted, as this was a long time ago) was that the Meijer bought the existing gas station, perhaps because they wanted the land for employee parking for the main store. When they discovered it was a money maker, they added gas stations to their other locations.

Edited by destijl

My summer job between high school and college was at the Meijer gas station at 28th and Kalamazoo. The story I was told (although my memory may be distorted, as this was a long time ago) was that the Meijer bought the existing gas station, perhaps because they wanted the land for employee parking for the main store. When they discovered it was a money maker, they added gas stations to their other locations.

Sweet, that would have been an interesting gas station to work at. I worked at a Meijer gas in Kalamazoo for 2 years while I went to school at Western. This was the Mejiers right on westnedge. I worked 3rd shift so I was locked away inside and waited on people thru the bullet proof glass. Ahhh, memories....

go broncos, they have that same set up at the 44th st/old kentwood mall meijer c-stop.

does anyone know of meijer's expansion plans for next year? I know the warren store was the last of this year.

If I remember right, Meijer's current plan is to add a couple of new stores a year to the chain for the next decade while slowly remodeling and/or replacing older stores to meet their current David Rockwell designed store format and graphics program.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! Its about time the old Alpine Store gets an overhaul. Haven't heard any activity from the Alpine Wal-Mart's bid to go supercenter. But it looks like the Alpine Meijer will have what it sorely needs to be ready to compete if and when that Wally-World does. So good for Meijer.

Lost in all the Orchard Park development news, was the announcement that the Meijer on Alpine is getting a $16 Million expansion:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5498092

That is great news. I grew up visiting the store on Alpine and the only thing I always hated about it was how messy and dirty it was all the time, not to mention the tight grocery aisles. They drove me mad on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you all know, I've passed this thread along to one of the Meijer family. He found it "interesting." Speak up UPers! :w00t:

How about some Fred Meijer West Michigan Trails product? T-shirts, water bottles, embroidered patches. (Couple weeks ago I was in Wisconsin and rode part of the Gandy Dancer trail. Came home with all of the above and these were not cheap.) They could re-use the water bottle design from those being handed out at the Hispanic Fest.

How about some apparel that says Michigan? Not U-M or MSU or GVSU or Whitecaps. The state's name. (I can find Texas T-shirts in just about any corner gas station in that state. Are we not proud?)

And order a few more copies of the Sunday Free Press for every store & gas station. It's always sold out. Supply and demand 101.

Get those cute little single person who's riding a bicycle home-sized carts in all the stores. Add a cupholder to those small carts so I don't have to bring in my own bungie cord.

There will be more!

Bring back the Shoe repair shops like the one at the Alpine store that was closed.

I prefere the look of the Standale Meijer's facade over those of the Southfield, MI and Ionia, MI stores.

If your listening Fred, here's one more thing. Remodel or better yet replace the 28th and K'zoo store as soon as the Alpine store is done. Granted its the first supercenter Meijer placed into existance and may have loads of sentimentality, its glory days have long since past. So the old work horse must be put out to pasture and replaced with one of your brand new and state of the art stores.

Edited by tamias6

Fred, please offer spell check to your sign-makers. If you are selling product related to the baseball team that's located in Michigan's largest city, there is no excuse to be misspelling the name of that place.

Why, the sign typist could even look at the shirts on the rack beneath the proposed sign. Those all say DETROIT.

[referencing the photo on page 2A of yesterday's paper...DETRIOT]

Fred, please offer spell check to your sign-makers. If you are selling product related to the baseball team that's located in Michigan's largest city, there is no excuse to be misspelling the name of that place.

Why, the sign typist could even look at the shirts on the rack beneath the proposed sign. Those all say DETROIT.

[referencing the photo on page 2A of yesterday's paper...DETRIOT]

Maybe it was a prediction for what's going to happen when the Tigers win the World Series. :)

Veloise, I get the vibe that you complain too much, trying to find all the bad things about a specific thing. Not trying to attack you or anything, but you could loosen up. What is a world without mistakes?

"We shall have no better conditions in the future if we are satisfied with all those which we have at present."

--Thomas Edison