South Carolina's population growth

CorgiMatt

• 6 months later...

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

It's just state-level population. The sub-state data won't be related until this Fall. SC is at 5,100,000 (ish), which is about where you'd expect it to be given the ACS numbers over the past few years.

The data will be a year and a half old, and not worth much. I thought it was supposed to be released tomorrow, May 4th.

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

The data will be a year and a half old, and not worth much. I thought it was supposed to be released tomorrow, May 4th.

It might have been at one point, but I read they are being delayed due to the pandemic and previous administration meddling.

18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

It might have been at one point, but I read they are being delayed due to the pandemic and previous administration meddling.

They've already been delayed,  it was supposed to be released before the end of dec. 

Just checked and it's the 7/1/20 estimates that will be released tomorrow. I wonder if those will be baesd off of census results for 2020 as a base or just a continuation of previous estimates. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 7:37 AM, erm1981 said:

Okay so I figured I could chime in here to give you guys a Ladson guys perspective.  Most of the growth in Charleston is now occurring around Summerville and Berkley county.  However there are many large apartment complexes being built around North Charleston.  Quite a few are off I-26, and they are building a very large one over near Dorchester Rd. And Cross County Rd.  

I really think the hottest spot in the Charleston metro over the next 10 years will be the Nexton area, especially with Volvo moving in just up the road from there.  Exit 194 area at Jedburg Rd. is booming and they are fixing to widen I-26 through that stretch of road.  Real estate is just much cheaper in this area than around Mount Pleasant or downtown Charleston so there has been some migration within the metro as well.  

I officially live in Ladson, SC which is an unincorporated area between North Charleston / Summerville but has also seen a crazy amount of growth.  Being from Greenville originally I always likened the land in Ladson(palmetto commerce highway) to being similar to the land in Verdae development.  Sitting for all those years and is now getting developed. 

So I found your comment as I have been driving through the Palmetto Commerce Highway a few times over the last month due to visitations with family. That whole cut-through didn't even exist when I lived there. How fully built out is that area? Is that development going to be more industrial or will there be retail and residential mixed in?

Additionally, I had to get off at the Volvo exit to circumvent an accident and ended up driving through this massive Camp Hall site. Obviously the Volvo site is a big draw, but it is just so far out. I assume this is a sign development is going to continue to creep up from Cane Bay. Just so much sprawl, hard to think about. Any opinions about that area?

Edited by Desert Power

• 4 weeks later...

I guess they changed the date. I heard September,  but it seems everything dropped all at once. Usually you get state, then county, then city in slower drips... Anyway, Charleston is now the largest city in SC by a much wider margin than previously expected.  That, to me, is the only surprise. Greenville continues to add people. I'd be interested to know what % of that is Verdae and West End. I don't get the impression they are aggressively annexing residential areas like Charleston (though maybe I'm wrong).

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article253439539.html

Biggest cities, towns:

1. Charleston (population) 150,227
  2. Columbia (136,632)
  3. North Charleston (114,852)
  4. Mount Pleasant (90,801)
  5. Rock Hill (74,372)
  6. Greenville (70,720)
  7. Summerville (50,915)
  8. Goose Creek (45,946)
  9. Sumter (43,463)
  10. Florence (39,899)

Biggest counties:

1. Greenville (population 525,535)
  2. Richland (416,147)
  3. Charleston (408,235)
  4. Horry (351,029)
  5. Spartanburg (327,997)
  6. Lexington (293,991)
  7. York (282,090)
  8. Berkeley (229,861)
  9. Anderson (203,718)
  10. Beaufort (187,117)

Looking at those numbers, Horry could be the 2nd biggest county by 2030. Richland will probably be 4th by then.  North Charleston will probably be the 2nd largest city by then. 

Greenville city's population has increased pretty much city-wide, but no doubt Verdae and DT/West End  were the biggest components. It has not been thru annexation, for sure. 

Charleston still annexes more than most cities but the 1990-2010 period had a lot more than 2010-2020.  There are huge swaths of land that was annexed during that first period that is not filling out with new construction though.