South Carolina's population growth

CorgiMatt

I don't think Charleston (city) will surpass Columbia simply because of their location. If I am correct, Charleston seems more landlocked, and unless they aquire more area by consolidating with other towns, there's nowhere for them to go. They were successful in annexing James Island, but I don't think other surrounding towns will be too enthusiastic with that idea.

I don't think Charleston (city) will surpass Columbia simply because of their location. If I am correct, Charleston seems more landlocked, and unless they aquire more area by consolidating with other towns, there's nowhere for them to go. They were successful in annexing James Island, but I don't think other surrounding towns will be too enthusiastic with that idea.

Is Daniels Island fully built out? If not, that could be a possibility not to mention beyond Daniels Island to the northeast could be developed further. Also, to the northwest along Ashley River the city could advance further - barring North Charleston or Summerville cutting the city off.

But hypothetically, Columbia should be able to continue to be the largest city due to undeveloped areas to the south & north.

Is Daniels Island fully built out? If not, that could be a possibility not to mention beyond Daniels Island to the northeast could be developed further. Also, to the northwest along Ashley River the city could advance further - barring North Charleston or Summerville cutting the city off.

But hypothetically, Columbia should be able to continue to be the largest city due to undeveloped areas to the south & north.

Daniel Island is not built out. I think thats one of those 20 year planned development deals, so it still has a ways to go. They have also annexed larger areas to the north of there (Cainhoy),so there is plenty of room left to grow. They also grow by annexation in West Ashley, and as we know with Long Savannah there is still plenty of growth to come to Charleston. I'm also assuming that there is a decent number of people moving back downtown. I'm looking forward to the Census data to be able to verify that. Its probably not going to be back to 50k south of the Crosstown anytime soon, but hopefully it will be an increase.

Columbia is heavily reliant on redevelopment and reinvestment in its neighborhoods. I think the surge in demand for urban living as well as proactive annexation in the NW suburbs has helped Columbia a lot. What I don't know is how much new development is occurring within the city limits but outside of existing neighborhoods. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge?

He's talking MSA-wise, and according the the Census Bureau's projections through 2030, I say no. Their projections show the Columbia MSA extending its lead.

I may be wrong, but some of the Columbia MSA population growth might be due to an increase in it's geographic area. For instance, the Greenville/Spartanburg MSA to a big population leap when (they) added the Anderson area. It would be like adding Myrtle Beach to Charleston's figures. We'd go from 620K to over 900K.

With approximately 135,000 homes in the pipeline, the Charleston area is looking at adding (conservatively) 300,000 new residents in the next 20 years or so, assuming the Coastal Conservation League doesn't completely shut down the coasts economy.

Greenville has about 10,000+ plus residences going on in just 6 developments. I wouldnt knock Greenville out of the picture just yet. That isnt even counting Verdae which will be 15,000-20,000 and in the city limits.

Ottaray. 1,865 homes: http://www.latone.net/

Acadia. 700 homes: http://www.acadiasc.com/

Cliffs at Mountain Park. 1,500 homes: http://www.cliffscommunities.com/rea...29/section/107

Riverwest. 2,136 residential units: http://m.greenvilleonline.com/news.jsp?key=60389

Griffin Park. 1,060 homes: http://www.griffinpark.com/

The Point. 3,046 residential units. http://www.thepointgreenville.com/ (on hold)

Edited by erm1981

^True, but those will take years until full buildout, and Columbia and Charleston already have at least 40,000 more within their city limits than Greenville--and that isn't taking into account the large residential projects going on in those cities as well, so Greenville still has a lot of catching up to do in terms of municipal population. We also cannot predict how the housing market will fare in the near future, but I've heard from more than one source that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg, which is sure to affect at least some of the residential projects going on, not just in Greenville, but in our other cities as well (the 135K projected housing units for Charleston over the next several years especially come to mind). Now in terms of county population, I don't see any other county seriously challenging Greenville County's position as the state's most populous anytime in the foreseeable future.

I don't think the Greenville's city population has a chance right now just because we're so far behind (without aggressive annexation, which right now is mostly targeting commercial properties). But I wonder if Greenville's broken up MSA designation could catch Columbia and Charleston's WITHOUT Spartanburg or Anderson counties. Even if GSA is reinstated for 2010 as the MSA for the upstate, I'd still like to see how Greenville/Pickens/Laurens fares with the other two's MSA numbers. Granted, that would be skewed in the favor of Columbia and Charleston, but Greenville County's growth rate makes me wonder if it could happen???

I don't think the Greenville's city population has a chance right now just because we're so far behind (without aggressive annexation, which right now is mostly targeting commercial properties). But I wonder if Greenville's broken up MSA designation could catch Columbia and Charleston's WITHOUT Spartanburg or Anderson counties. Even if GSA is reinstated for 2010 as the MSA for the upstate, I'd still like to see how Greenville/Pickens/Laurens fares with the other two's MSA numbers. Granted, that would be skewed in the favor of Columbia and Charleston, but Greenville County's growth rate makes me wonder if it could happen???

Yes, there is no way Gville will ever catch up to the other two unless it is able to annex massive areas, say Berea, Taylors, and south to the Southern Connector. And we all know this is extremely unlikely. Even if Verdae, teh Point, and all other current infill projects reach buildout, I don't think our pop will surpass 100k at the current city proper size.

As for the MSA's, I do not think Gville MSA will catch up with the other two any time soon, as the current MSAs are drawn. When GSA was split up, it cut Gville MSA in half. The only two counties now added to Gville are Pickens and Laurens, and these two counties see very little growth at all. In fact, they are nearly static. Gville county's growht, though impressive, is not currently enough to carry the MSA to the level of the other two. But I do think the county designation is a little misleading, as much of Western Sptbg, and NE Anderson (powdersville, etc) is all part of Gville's growth. Perhaps Anderson and Sptbg being viable cities of their own actually hurt Gville in this regard, as they prevent Gville from being the "take all" of the upstate (as is the case with Atlanta). Regardless, Gville county will continue to be the largest county for the forseeable future, and the Upstate (GSA) will continue to hold the largest pop base for the forseeable future.

When Raleigh and Durham got split up Raleigh bounced back major time with explosive growth. So I guess the Greenville MSA could see something of that nature also with all the current white collar jobs being developed with CU-ICAR, carolina first, hubble, etc...

Edited by erm1981

When Raleigh and Durham got split up Raleigh bounced back major time with explosive growth. So I guess the Greenville MSA could see something of that nature also with all the current white collar jobs being developed with CU-ICAR, carolina first, hubble, etc...

Could be... Carolina First alone is making 600 white collar jobs in Greenville in phase one and will be creating over a thousand eventually. I doubt there's enough unemployed people to take those jobs right now. New residents would have to move in, right?

Actually, Raleigh was already booming at that point (their boom started in the 90's), and the majority of the Triangle's growth was (and is) due to the growth in Wake County. RTP has done wonders for that part of the state. It will probably take a couple of years, but I expect ICAR to be similarly successful, and who knows what that might do for growth in Greenville County in the future?

Over 600 hundred are coming to Fort Jackson this year or next and bringing their families with them. And USC has 27,000 undergraduate students on in Columbia now and recent research says S.C. is retaining 2/3 of it college graduates and that the majorityof them settle in the metro area where the college or university they graduated from is located.

^Thats a good statistic. When I get through with Clemson I plan on staying around the Greenville metro if construction stays at the pace it currently is. Currently Greenville has more construction going on then it ever has I believe. Most of it is sprawl but still growth. I wish it was more centered downtown. To bad our states largest bank had to build a sprawling campus along I-85 instead of a 40 story tower downtown. Oh well.....sigh.

• 1 month later...

In my experiences up there, including five years of living in D.C. (part of the northeastern urban corridor), even after people knew me for a while they would often introduce me to other people as being from North Carolina.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about folks from other parts of the country mushing NC and SC into one nebulous entity. Having lived in DC area for more than 20 years now, I constantly have people ask me about NC, and I constantly correct them that I am from SC. Must be the same situation with SD and ND I would assume.

Also, Phoenix is a pit and anyone who voluntarily moves there, must be out of their gourd... I was there on business a couple of summers ago and in the 3 days that I was there, the temp never dropped below 100, even at night!

^Thats a good statistic. When I get through with Clemson I plan on staying around the Greenville metro if construction stays at the pace it currently is. Currently Greenville has more construction going on then it ever has I believe. Most of it is sprawl but still growth. I wish it was more centered downtown. To bad our states largest bank had to build a sprawling campus along I-85 instead of a 40 story tower downtown. Oh well.....sigh.

How do you think Columbians feel about SCANNA bolting downtown to build a sprawling campus in Cayce instead of a mid to high rise tower downtown. What sucks is that that have this beautiful landscaped campus with various fountains and walking paths that no one will ever in the city will ever enjoy[outside of the workers and a few business clients].

• 4 weeks later...

Greenville's 2007 growth top seven in nation

More newcomers flowed into Greenville County last year than any other year since the 2000 census, fueling an estimated population growth rate that's in the top seventh nationwide

In 2007, Greenville County added 11,734 bringing its total population to 428,243. That doesn't seem like it would be 7th in the nation, but that's what they're saying...

As for the 2000-2007 time period, the state's counties grew as followed:

COUNTY -------- 2000 Pop. ----- 2007 Est. ----- % Change ---- National Rank ---- Change

Dorchester ------------ 96,341 ------- 123,505 --------- 28.2% --------- 102 ----------- 27,164

Horry ----------------- 196,660 ------- 249,925 --------- 27.1% --------- 109 ----------- 53,265

York ------------------ 164,623 ------- 208,827 --------- 26.9% --------- 113 ----------- 44,204

Beaufort -------------- 120,948 ------ 147,316 --------- 21.8% ---------- 158 ---------- 26,368

Lancaster -------------- 61,351 -------- 73,393 --------- 19.6% --------- 193 ----------- 12,042

Berkeley ------------- 142,653 ------- 163,622 --------- 14.7% --------- 322 ----------- 20,969

Greenville ------------ 379,612 ------- 428,243 --------- 12.8% --------- 388 ----------- 48,631

Lexington ------------- 216,010 ------- 243,270 --------- 12.6% --------- 394 ---------- 27,260

Richland -------------- 320,781 ------- 357,734 --------- 11.5% --------- 440 ----------- 36,953

Charleston ----------- 309,978 ------- 342,973 --------- 10.6% --------- 477 ----------- 32,995

Anderson ------------- 165,740 ------- 179,981 ---------- 8.6% --------- 628 ----------- 14,241

Spartanburg --------- 253,782 ------- 275,534 ---------- 8.6% ---------- 630 ----------- 22,752

Herald Journal Article

The fastest-growing areas in Spartanburg County were Boiling Springs and the western part of the county between Highway 290 and Greer

I think the western part of Spartanburg County's growth, though not ENTIRELY, can easily be attributed to Greenville. For that reason, I think we'll for sure see Spartanburg and Greenville Counties combined again as a part of one MSA in 2010.

Edited by GvilleSC