South Carolina's population growth

CorgiMatt

According to the attached definition, it seems to me Newberry County might have reached the spillover point at which there is enough commuter activity with that county's residents working in either Lexington County or Richland County for it to qualify as part of the Columbia MSA.

Metropolitan Statistical Area—A Core Based Statistical Area associated with at least one urbanized area that has a population of at least 50,000. The Metropolitan Statistical Area comprises the central county or counties containing the core, plus adjacent outlying counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the central county or counties as measured through commuting.

According to the attached definition, it seems to me Newberry County might have reached the spillover point at which there is enough commuter activity with that county's residents working in either Lexington County or Richland County for it to qualify as part of the Columbia MSA.

Metropolitan Statistical Area—A Core Based Statistical Area associated with at least one urbanized area that has a population of at least 50,000. The Metropolitan Statistical Area comprises the central county or counties containing the core, plus adjacent outlying counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the central county or counties as measured through commuting.

Not seeing Newberry getting added anytime soon. Seems like quite a bit of distance between Columbia and Newberry every time I make the trip from Chas. to Anderson to see family. Much more than between Anderson and Greenville

It's the Chapin->Prosperity->Newberry route through Lake Murray Country that would do it if Newberry gets added. That and the commuting and cultural exchanges between the Newberry Opera House and Columbia-area residents, etc. Who would ever have thought Saluda County would have gotten added from the last census?

I thought you were against sprawl, Corgi?

I am, but what I think about sprawl doesn't change the way the census bureau determines what's part of an MSA and what's not. I'm against sprawling design. I'm not against large areas functioning as metropolitan statistical areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much the recession combined with gas prices impacted commuting from outlying counties? If it's significant it will work against Newberry being added to Columbia's MSA.

I'm more curious to see if Greenville and Spartanburg will be recombined.

I'm more curious to see if Greenville and Spartanburg will be recombined.

Yeah, that's an interesting question. Any advantages/disadvantages to being combined vs. separate? In a similar situation in NC, Raleigh-Cary MSA is separate from Durham-Chapel Hill MSA, and many think those should be recombined as well. The Census Bureau doesn't always seem to follow logic, however.

^ I don't think it's necessarily illogical given the fact that MSAs and CSAs are county-based agglomerations, which, while not perfect, is pretty convenient. When you look at things on a county level, you can see why the split occurred. Before the establishment/take off of the large employment center in the Upstate (BMW) and the Triangle (RTP), the smaller county, and thus the smaller principal city, had more of a reliance on the larger county/principal city. But with those big singular jobs centers being established and really taking off in the smaller county in which they are located, the smaller county gets more regional influx and thus becomes an employment center in its own right, although it's obvious that those large employment centers are truly regional in nature. That's why there's more justification for the Upstate and Triangle being recombined and less for the Triad, which lacks that sort of dynamic.

The attached article is about the Charlotte area's population growth during the recession. I think it serves as an example of what is happening in most metro areas that are growing: people from disadvantaged rural counties are moving to where more jobs are, even if they don't have a job lined up before moving.

http://www.charlotte...ation-grew.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...

It always surprises me that people move here without a job. I had never really thought of Charlotte as being one of those cities until I found out people are doing just that. IMO, Charleston is probably a good example of that in SC. People are just drawn to that city.

• 10 months later...

The 2012 Census estimates for MSAs/CSAs are out.

Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin MSA: 842,853

Columbia MSA: 784,745

Charleston-North Charleston MSA: 697,439

Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach MSA: 394,542

Spartanburg MSA: 316,997

Florence MSA: 206,087

Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort MSA: 193,882

Sumter MSA: 108,052

Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA: 1,384,996

Columbia-Orangeburg-Newberry CSA: 913,797

Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin MSA: 842,853

It's kind of nice to NOT see Easley in the title.

It's interesting that Mauldin has been a mainstay on the title for the past decade and remains there. I say this because I think it's the city with the least amount of image and brand in the Greenville metro, WHICH is not a determining factor, but it's incredibly interesting to consider, IMO.

It's kind of nice to NOT see Easley in the title.

It's interesting that Mauldin has been a mainstay on the title for the past decade and remains there. I say this because I think it's the city with the least amount of image and brand in the Greenville metro, WHICH is not a determining factor, but it's incredibly interesting to consider, IMO.

I think Easley's a nice town.  If you have to share the title with another town what's wrong with that one?

Have you been to Easley? Highway 123 is the perfect example of bad planning and land development policies. Their downtown may be nice (I've never been), but the rest of it is not impressive.

Easley's downtown is very nice, and has really good bones. Surprisingly, there's decent commerce downtown. It's a shame that they've effectively sold out to Hwy 123.

Have you been to Easley? Highway 123 is the perfect example of bad planning and land development policies. Their downtown may be nice (I've never been), but the rest of it is not impressive.

I will say that on my last couple of visits to the Greenville area I found myself on the same outdated stretch between Greenville and Easley and thought they needed to knock down just about all of it and plant trees or something, but Easley looks to be a nice town, and if I'm not mistaken they have done significant renovations to their downtown since I was last there.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One factor that causes Greenville and Columbia to show larger metro populations is a much larger geographic footprint is used. Greenvilles spans  aross most of the upstate. Charlestons is a much more compact area.

That's typically the case for coastal cities. Charleston's MSA would be able to claim Colleton County if there were a direct connection from Walterboro, where most of the county's population is concentrated, to Charleston. As is, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Its interesting that Columbia seems to be gaining on Charleston. The cities were almost the same population at the last census, and I recall predicting that Charleston would surpass Columbia due to its more aggressive annexation policies. Anyone have any thoughts on why Columbia has been able to increase its population more quickly? (I'm referring to the cities specifically, not the MSA's)

Its interesting that Columbia seems to be gaining on Charleston. The cities were almost the same population at the last census, and I recall predicting that Charleston would surpass Columbia due to its more aggressive annexation policies. Anyone have any thoughts on why Columbia has been able to increase its population more quickly? (I'm referring to the cities specifically, not the MSA's)

What figures are you looking at that show columbia gaining more population since the census?

What do you mean by "gaining on Charleston" when Columbia is already larger?  Did you mean Charleston seems to be gaining on Columbia?  Or like vicupstate asked, are you looking at some figures someone released since the 2010 census?  What figures?