New Iberia

richyb83

Don't believe I have ever seen New Iberia mentined here on UP; this new development is worthy of mention.

New Iberia (pop. approx 33,000) located roughly 125 miles West of NOLA; 25-30 miles SSE of Lafayette along the Future I-49 Corridor.

Work begins on development in New Iberia

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/12527441.html

The Southern Mutual Help Association on Friday broke ground in New Iberia on a planned $150 million development intended to serve a mix of income levels and commercial and residential purposes.

Bids for construction of the 100-acre development along Emile Verret Road on the east side of town will be let in March, said Lorna Bourg, executive director of the association.

The development will be built as a mixed-use, mixed-income area, expected to offer about 600 homes and about 200,000 square feet of retail space. Bourg said that the development will be laid out using principles of what is known as

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, that looks like a very promising development! Thanks for posting, Richy! :thumbsup:

This sounds pretty great. I always thought New Iberia would be a good place for suburban growth outside of Lafayette because it has it's own identity. That's something New Orleans suburbs don't really have.

Cities/towns like Covington and Abita Springs in Saint Tammany Parish are still holding on to individual identities that set them apart from the normal boring and bland suburb. But apart from that, you're right, there's really no identity in places like Metairie, Kenner, Mandeville, and even Slidell at this point. All the sprawl that New Orleans doesn't have is packed into every corner of those places.

• 3 years later...

Archived