What would you prefer the people of Arkansas be called?

Mith242

What would you prefer the people of Arkansas be called?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer the people of Arkansas be called?

• Arkansan
    • Arkansawyer
    • Arkie
    • Something else (please list)

I think this was discussed a long time ago before the Arkansas forum was separated into different forums. I saw this mentioned in the paper recently and thought I'd bring it back up again. See what people in NWA had to say about it. There were a few other obscure ones I don't think I'd seen before listed like Arkansasan and Arkansian. I admit I tend to use Arkansan and to me it seems to be the most used. But I can see why it bothers some people. But until recent years I hadn't heard of Arkansawyer used and guess I'm having a hard time getting used to it. I also like the term Arkie, but to me it seems more like a nickname than a 'formal' name.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansan sounds better than Arkansawyer or the others but it helps perpetuate the wrong pronunciation of the start name as Ar-Kansas and that bugs me. I recently told a lady in some call center somewhere my address and she said "Oh, you mean Ar-Kansas." No..I mean Arkansas!

Archived