Speed Tables

zman9810

Speed Tables  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Great Idea or Big Mistake

• Great Idea
    • Big Mistake/ Not Needed
    • Necessary Evil

The city has gathered enough public comment against the Rolling Hills Drive speed table to remove the temporary one in place and not to install the three permanent ones. It sounds like they may slow down the installation of more and keep them on the smaller residential streets, although there are plans to install three on Gregg Avenue between North and Prospect. That is a heavily traveled stretch and there are already two on Wilson which is part of the path that vehicles take to get from 4 lane Gregg to the Dickson Street area. It seems to a shame to be widening Gregg on one end to provide better access to the mall area and then putting speed tables on the other end to discourage traffic from using it.

NWA Times article

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well it looks like at least residents along one street are finally going to get what a number of people have been arguing for. Instead of speed tables they are going to decrease the width of Lafayette. It's technically a state highway and speed tables aren't allowed on state highways. I'm sure a number of people will be keeping their eye on this. If it's successful then maybe we can start finding a different alternative than the speed tables that so many apparently really don't like.

Well it looks like at least residents along one street are finally going to get what a number of people have been arguing for. Instead of speed tables they are going to decrease the width of Lafayette. It's technically a state highway and speed tables aren't allowed on state highways. I'm sure a number of people will be keeping their eye on this. If it's successful then maybe we can start finding a different alternative than the speed tables that so many apparently really don't like.

I personally have grown to despise 15mph speed tables placed on 25 or 30mph streets, because I view it as inefficient for the braking and gassing involved, but I'm sure it does help. It's somewhat amusing that we can narrow a state highway but can't put speed tables on it, but considering the location of Lafayette, I'm not against narrowing it a little bit. If it were more like it's neighbor Maple in width and driving "feel", I don't think people would speed on it near as much as they do now.

I personally have grown to despise 15mph speed tables placed on 25 or 30mph streets, because I view it as inefficient for the braking and gassing involved, but I'm sure it does help. It's somewhat amusing that we can narrow a state highway but can't put speed tables on it, but considering the location of Lafayette, I'm not against narrowing it a little bit. If it were more like it's neighbor Maple in width and driving "feel", I don't think people would speed on it near as much as they do now.

Archived