High Speed Internet

bchris02

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have AT&T. For internet and the service, you're not going to get a truly compelling argument for one over the other. In my book, both options stink. I'd prefer an independent and there is earthlink and aristotle, but they're not competitive.

Packaging your cell, landline, internet, VOIP as Architect plans to do, is the way to go. The internet is supposed to suck over the next year. AT&T and Comcast claim they can't upgrade the bandwidth unless they have more profits. They're looking to congress for help. Meanwhile, more and more standard, digital, and HD video will be streamed over the internet during the next year. Comcast already got caught throttling its users. This will continue. You will pay for it.

In another year, we will be so embarrassingly behind the rest of the world (i think the US already ranks in the 20's) that we'll have to do something.

Anyone who plans to but a new wireless router should wait till the 2nd quarter. The manufactures have stuffed the shelves with crap. In late March or April the 802.11N standard should be "ratified." Right now, everything is a draft version.

CES (consumer electronic show) starts Jan 7. Apple will do its thing in Febuary (i think). Many of the products introduces here will be 2008 holiday items to buy.

I've read this data on the U.S. lack of available internet throughput (speed) with curiosity as well. I have assumed, and attributed this to the shear physical size of the continental U.S., and the consequential cost of distributing technical infrastructure that highly dense populaces, such as Korea, etc. don't have to deal with. I also have assumed this was largely the case with the similar state of cellular technology & services with the U.S. compared with other parts of the world. This country is VAST and its population (relatively) sparse.

We have AT&T and I have no issues with them except they're billing practices. Just last week we got a bill saying we no longer qualified for the plan we had because of some "changes" and we were supposed to get a rebate for the dsl modem that we still not gotten. After a long phone call, the "changes" were non-existent and a "mistake" and the modem rebate was supposedly an internet only offer that a lot of their phone reps had given out by mistake. They tried to weasel out of it by trying to send us a voucher that we would have to fill out and send back in to get the rebate but my wife got them to conference call customer service and billing and more or less forced them to honor it on the spot with a reduction in the bill. It was an obvious bait and switch. The offer began in September and was an attempt to show growth in 4Q and they had no intentions of trying to honor this by claiming a mistake in the process and just forgetting to send people the rebates they were due. No telling how many others are just waiting and waiting and don't have to forthwith to force the hand of these people. The actual service itself is splendid with higher than advertised bandwidth.

We have AT&T and I have no issues with them except they're billing practices. Just last week we got a bill saying we no longer qualified for the plan we had because of some "changes" and we were supposed to get a rebate for the dsl modem that we still not gotten. After a long phone call, the "changes" were non-existent and a "mistake" and the modem rebate was supposedly an internet only offer that a lot of their phone reps had given out by mistake. They tried to weasel out of it by trying to send us a voucher that we would have to fill out and send back in to get the rebate but my wife got them to conference call customer service and billing and more or less forced them to honor it on the spot with a reduction in the bill. It was an obvious bait and switch. The offer began in September and was an attempt to show growth in 4Q and they had no intentions of trying to honor this by claiming a mistake in the process and just forgetting to send people the rebates they were due. No telling how many others are just waiting and waiting and don't have to forthwith to force the hand of these people. The actual service itself is splendid with higher than advertised bandwidth.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived