Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

New Years Eve in your city

4 posts in this topic

What does your city do for New Year's Eve? Is it successful - does it bring people downtown?

Boston is the home of First Night, which for them is pretty successful, although lately it seems interest has declined. Worcester, MA has the second oldest First Night (copied from Boston), but it has failed to really live up to it's reputation, becoming primarily a bunch of afternoon kids events. I am interested in hearing interesting new ideas cities ar using to draw people in. For instance Providence's Waterfire got it's start as a New Years event.

We have fireworks, Sugar Bowl crowds, and New Orleans is a destination center for the Gulf South, so we have people come in from Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas to party and bring in the New Year. Plenty of locals go Downtown, as well. At midnight they drop a baby.....you can view it on national television for CST..they usually cover it on one or two of the networks. It's a good time and I think it is successful. Somewhere around 350,000 to 400,000 people pack the Quarter and Downtown for New Year's Eve in New Orleans.

We have fireworks, Sugar Bowl crowds, and New Orleans is a destination center for the Gulf South, so we have people come in from Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas to party and bring in the New Year. Plenty of locals go Downtown, as well. At midnight they drop a baby.....you can view it on national television for CST..they usually cover it on one or two of the networks. It's a good time and I think it is successful. Somewhere around 350,000 to 400,000 people pack the Quarter and Downtown for New Year's Eve in New Orleans.