When Next Rail Transit Line Opens In Charlotte/Mecklenburg

monsoon

When Next Rail Transit Line Opens In Charlotte/Mecklenburg  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What year do you think the next passenger rail line will open?

• Not until after 2020

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that due to the momentum of the Blue line and the landslide vote, that the Northeast extension will be the next line completed and will go roughly as planned. It is expected to come online in 2013, so I'll go with that, although I think it is possible that it ends up being delivered in 2014 or 2015.

I am not sure what I'd predict for the North line, as that will go through a much different path to completion, needing to parcel together different funding sources. I would bet, though, that it will not be completed before the NE extension, however.

I am confident that the NE extension will get built, but the other lines are a bit murkier, since none of us knows what the next decade will bring to the city.

I voted 2012 also. I think a lot was learned from the South Line, as a lot had to be learned given it was our first line. That plus the insane demand is going to keep this boat a float and propelled as quickly as possible. A lot of people are enjoying the South Line so much that they just can't wait for the other lines to open, especially ones that serve them more directly. I know the NE Line can't come soon enough for University City. I think all of this, plus with Tober out and a change in the eye over CATs and LYNX, that they will serve to meet demand as quickly as possible. I do fear that 4 years is a far time away, however, and although that is the magical year that I predict for the next line to officially open, I more optimistically say that they may open some other extensions, or possibly a streetcar line a year earlier to meet demand. Again, have to see exactly where Charlotte takes us and the gas situation is in a year or so, along with any changes in government funding and promotion. I don't think the next line will be dragged out though, that is for sure.

It seems to me that the North line will get done quicker than expected maybe even before the NE line, since all the towns up there seem to be in support of it now. The task of building infrastructure for the North line is far less difficult than the NE. Of course, the North line's plans do hinge on Gateway Station being built, and of course getting those pesky "funding" issues worked out. I haven't heard much about that since I've been here other than its "planned."

It would be nice if they could open up the NE line piece-meal as they complete sections and just have it as a real extension of the Lynx line. This would slowly add more and more riders and they can continue to use the same trains they already have which would allow for them to not have to worry about the months of testing each train has to go through before it gets approval for riders.

I think 2012 would be a likely year. The engineering studies are supposed to be done this spring which allows almost a whole year for them to be analyzed and tweaked and then 3 years for the construction. Hopefully all of the lessons learned from Lynx will speed things up a bit and the huge support that CATS has received so far will continue the momentum. It would be great if they could put a rush on things and get it done even sooner.

Archived